Everything Free Agency 2021 - Rumors, news and notes

RaidersAreOne

Yesterday Chris Ballard talked to the media and said the Colts are negotiating with RFA WR Zach Pascal but didn’t commit to signing anyone else before free agency opens. He has, in the past, allowed some players to test the market and risk losing them to get paid what they’re worth. Justin Houston and TY Hilton were specifically asked by reporters with these questions, and he previously mentioned Marlon Mack in this regard.

He also said that there are no trades happening today (Friday) in regards to questions about a potential QB trade (Eagles or Raiders) but also said that Jacoby Brissett and Jacob Eason are still in the discussion for potential starters for 2021. Many talking heads mentioned that the NFL would probably not like a trade announcement happening on Super Bowl weekend so that doesn’t rule out something coming together after the Super Bowl. (just not Friday) 

From my understanding, the Colts are not going to get into a bidding war (looking specifically at Andrew Norwell and CJ Mosley in free agency) and aren’t going to trade what the Raiders are asking for, for Carr. Ballard also made it clear he has all the confidence in Reich’s ability to get the most out of whoever they bring in in 2021 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:59 PM, Nick_gb said:

Honestly would LOVE to see this - Trevor Lawrence / J. Robinson / Chark / Shenault and Allen Robinson? YES PLEASE!

On 2/4/2021 at 10:07 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Put A-Rob in the slot, draft Pat Freiermuth at 33.

Lawrence

James Robinson

Chark/Shenault on the outside. A-Rob in the slot

Freiermuth

TE’s don’t make much of an impact year 1, but that would be a young, exciting offense to watch.

I think the money, new regime and Lawrence could convince him to come back. He was just on Jax local sports radio today talking about his time with the Bears, impending FA and etc.

I hear you on this..

I also like to float out my personal, unrealistic option of trading 25, 33, and 45 to Bengals or Eagles (or 25 plus 2022 1st, or whatever is required), and snag Ja'Marr Chase

Turn Lawrence/Chase into one of those career long, historical duos. Lawrence, Robinson, Chase, Chark feels nice

Then use all that cap money to go after your Trent Williams and a slew of defensive upgrades

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

• Reasonable compromise if it's around that value or even slightly higher.
  • The doomsday scenario of it coming in around $175M just isn't feasible as @SkippyX and @squire12 have alluded to in this thread from the PA standpoint.
  • Take a lighter "hit" this year and just see lower increases in the next two years.
  • Due to vaccinations; There will likely be much bigger attendances in 2021 season also which will help drive up revenue also.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Magnifico said:
  • Reasonable compromise if it's around that value or even slightly higher.
  • The doomsday scenario of it coming in around $175M just isn't feasible as @SkippyX and @squire12 have alluded to in this thread from the PA standpoint.
  • Take a lighter "hit" this year and just see lower increases in the next two years.
  • Due to vaccinations; There will likely be much bigger attendances in 2021 season also which will help drive up revenue also.

Pretty sure borrowing against future years would require a full blown cba amendment and owners would gouge the players. The owners like this.

It's definitely feasible to do it at 181.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pretty sure borrowing against future years would require a full blown cba amendment and owners would gouge the players. The owners like this.

It's definitely feasible to do it at 181.

correct, and both sides have some level of incentive to have the cap be closer to 200 than 180.

NFL wants the best product on the field for upcoming TV contract renewals.   If 1/3 or  more of the teams have to cut a bunch of starting players and only have cap space for UDFA type players, the product on the field suffers

NFLPA wants players that are FA ...or players that are cut due to a lower salary cap, to have a better market to pursue another contract.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

correct, and both sides have some level of incentive to have the cap be closer to 200 than 180.

NFL wants the best product on the field for upcoming TV contract renewals.   If 1/3 or  more of the teams have to cut a bunch of starting players and only have cap space for UDFA type players, the product on the field suffers

NFLPA wants players that are FA ...or players that are cut due to a lower salary cap, to have a better market to pursue another contract.  

I'm very thankful that the NHL worked this out last year. Different situation all told, but happy they have it resolved. NFL could be nasty. 

What's the main thing that the owners want but haven't been able to get at this point? 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Are we sure that the players are going to fight for a higher cap? I hadn't heard that yet, so I wasn't sure if he was referencing something specific. 

what benefit is it to the current players to have less total money league wide available for them if they are a FA, or about to become a FA if they are cut as a need for a team to get below a salary cap of $180M?