Barry it is.....

Leader

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

When did this "up and comer" become a thing ? Some dude that only coached safeties his entire career is an up and comer ? If I'm a head coach, I'm running from those guys. You need to show more than that IMO. Far too much learning on the job gonna happen with a guy like that. Does that make James Campen an up and comer ? He coached the entire offensive line. Jim Leonhard is an up and comer. A position coach ? No way

I was referring to LaFleur.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Between what went on with Rizzo a couple years ago and now this with Leonhard, I am thinking GB doesn't make much of an effort to meet the asking price of "hot" assistant coaches that are on the market.  Leonhard coming to GB for a 2nd interview which lasts for a full day doesn't make sense on any level if he was never interested in the job.  Rizzo has already said that after talking with the Packers, he didn't think GB was serious about meeting his asking price.

But was it the asking price for Leonhard?  I suspect he is being groomed to eventually take over for Paul Chryst and this is why he declined the offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

Here’s my prediction for how this will sort out:

The national media will continue to dismiss the Packers and we will likely hear from PFT about how sources say Rodgers is unhappy with off-season decisions by the front office. We will manage to make a couple of free agent additions, one cornerback will be added. The defense will start off the year giving up some points but doing better situationally. Over the course of the year the defense will end up top ten in points allowed per drive and @MrBobGray will be happy with how things are going, but there will be enough room for criticism that LaFleur will be ignored for coach of the year again.

MLF will never win coach of the year because of who is QB is.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Why?  I seem to recall a lot of folks were not at all happy with us hiring MLF.  This feels like Groundhog Day.

MLF was considered a risky hire because he had one year of play-calling in TN and before that had been working for McVay who does his own play calling.  And never been a HC.  So not a lot of history to work from.

Evero would have been somewhat similar and I'd have been okay with that.

Barry has had opportunities and shown he is not capable of successfully running a defense.  I don't care how bad your talent is, 32nd in consecutive years shows incompetence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

MLF was considered a risky hire because he had one year of play-calling in TN and before that had been working for McVay who does his own play calling.  And never been a HC.  So not a lot of history to work from.

Barry has had opportunities and shown he is not capable of successfully running a defense.  I don't care how bad your talent is, 32nd in consecutive years shows incompetence.

If players cannot do their job and execute the game plan it doesn’t matter how good of a coach or your scheme is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

The 70's and 80's Packers say hello and hold my beer

Also the pool of candidates that MLF had to choose from was pretty poor this year. Who did we not get instead of this guy? Everyone else was just as risky and some ways more. At least this dude MLF knows and he is a high energy dude. I see this as 'give it to the guy with most experience and that I know see how he does and I'm very open to the idea of letting him go once someone better comes along next year if he can't hack it.'

LaFleur is clearly capable of good judgement with his hires. I mean he certainly showed it by offering Leonhard the job in the first place.

You don't show good judgement one moment and just suddenly lose it with the snap of the fingers.

Clearly there has to be something there with Joe Barry that LaFleur really liked.

Our only clue is a video of him coaching the Rams players to get a feel for what he's like. You can see he has a natural way of talking to players and showing good emotional intelligence. It's easy to like him.

This is a far contrast to Evero videos which he comes across as pretty dull. Now, I'm not against dull head coaches and coordinators as long they surround themselves with coaches who can minimise their weaknesses.

Working in LA and under McVay clearly did Barry a world of good. I'm really hoping his time with the Rams rubbed off in a big way and can carry that culture over to the Packers. I'm sure LaFleur is hoping for that too.

Chris Harris, through limited media videos comes across well. However the problem with hiring him was we would had to rebuild the defence and hire new coaches because he doesn't have any background in the 3-4. He would be bringing completely different ideas based on what he knows about the 4-3 and would need coaches to help him implement it.

If our team was not good and missed out on playoff football then hiring a guy like Harris makes sense but when our team has gone 13-3 two years in a row then blowing up the defence and starting over was not the smart move to make, hence why we were looking for continuity. There were literally just three candidates LaFleur interviewed who would've provided that continuity and as it just so happened those same three were also finalists for the job.

To be fair LaFleur kinda boxed himself in with his choice of candidates. He did not consider other coaches with 3-4 backgrounds like Chris Hewitt, Larry Foote, Jerod Mayo and Brendan Daly. LaFleur didn't personally know any of those guys and none of them were part of the Fangio, Phillips, Rex Ryan coaching trees he was looking at.

If you looked for coaches with a 3-4 background and was part of Fangio, Phillips, Rex Ryan trees then the only viable coaching candidates you could find were:

Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin DC)
Joe Barry (Rans Assistant HC and LB coach)
Aubrey Pleasant (Rams cornerbacks coach)
Ejiro Evero (Rams safeties coach)
Mike Smith (Packers OLB coach)
Bobby Babich (Bills safeties coach)
Aaron Glenn (was already hired as Lions DC)
Anthony Weaver (was just fired as Texans DC and is now Ravens DL & run game coordinator)
Jason Rebrovich (Jags DL coach)
Karl Dunbar (Steelers DL coach)
Bob Sutton (hired as Jags senior defensive assistant)

That's literally the list. Fangio and Phillips didn't have many young position coaches, those that were are now coordinators/HC elsewhere (Brandon Staley,Joe Woods and Vance Joseph), Rex been out of the game a while so his coaches are old.

LaFleur chose to interview 4 people on this list. He knew Pleasant and Smith well enough to pass on them. Glenn and Weaver weren't an option. Dunbar was never considered a viable DC candidate in his career. That left him with just Babich and Rebrovich but LaFleur doesn't know them and unfortunately they are labeled as ex Pettine guys. I don't think LaFleur wanted a candidate with close coaching ties to Pettine. Leonhard was the exception because technically he never coached under him. LaFleur wanted a coach with ties to him and his friends, not ties to Pettine and I can totally understand that.

Bob Sutton dropped out and LaFleur was left with just three - Leonhard, Barry and Evero. Leonhard turned his job offer down and he was stuck with the remaining two - the guys he knew personally. It was literally a coin toss at this point.

When you whittle it down it becomes obvious Barry was the best remaining candidate. I don't know how to feel about it but we do need to trust LaFleur's judgement. He chose to hire a coach with good traits despite his prior coaching history. He done it before with Hackett. Just have to have a little bit of faith.

Still it doesn't prevent me from placing the blame at Leonhard's feet. Damn you for rejecting us!

giphy.gif

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1