Barry it is.....

Leader

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Acme Packing -

However, Barry is probably in a better situation talent-wise than he’s ever been before. Between Jaire Alexander, Kenny Clark, Za’Darius Smith, Darnell Savage, and Rashan Gary, the Packers have an exciting and talented core and, under the right guidance, could blossom into a very promising unit.

So was Mike Nolan in Dallas, and it didn't get him over the hump. He still ranked dead last.

Simply put: unless, by some miracle, MLF knew something all 31 other teams didn't, we're focked and it'll be the same old song and dance: FO fails Rodgers again, more Rodgers trade rumor clickbait reports, and so on.

2 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

so many more intriguing guys 

jerod mayo
chris shula
kris richard
kris kocurek
larry foote
gerald alexander

All of those guys are very green they have very little experience except Richard who had already signed with the Saints. 

If we had taken Barry over Dan Quinn, Raheem Morris, Gus Bradley etc I would be more bummed but there was no great competition out there they were all pretty much enigma's no major experience, at least MLF has familiarity with this guy, seems high energy which is what they value a lot in Green Bay and I heard he will retain a lot of the existing staff. There must have been a big relationship break down with Pettine as I reckon it was better to have stuck with him. This seems more a power play by MLF and he has 'his' guys in place.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/joe-barry-must-prove-he-should-remain-redskins-defensive-coordinator/2016/12/09/d32c9f7c-be47-11e6-94ac-3d324840106c_story.html?tid=a_inl_manual

“The number one statistic that we preach and that I’m really ultimately concerned with, the only stat that matters, is the scoreboard,” Barry said. “And as long as we hold our opponent to one point less than we score, that’s the only stat matters.”

And later, when asked if he was surprised when Arizona decided to go for a fourth and 1 at its own 34-yard line last Sunday, Barry said: “Honestly, honestly, very much.”

You could give Barry a break if he didn’t so consistently make your eyebrows jump. Earlier this season, after Pittsburgh wide receiver Antonio Brown destroyed cornerback Bashaud Breeland in Week 1, Barry was asked why he didn’t have Josh Norman, Washington’s $75 million No. 1 corner, trail Brown the entire game. He gave a silly explanation about the difficulty of getting the rest of the defensive backs aligned, even though every other team does it with ease and regularity.

And while we’re on the subject of cornerback mismanagement, Barry also reasoned after the Pittsburgh game that Washington finally switched Norman onto Brown in the fourth quarter as part of the game plan, not because Breeland was struggling. In other words, the game plan was to do nothing until it was too late.

Oof.

To his credit, the players still compete for Barry. The energy and attention to detail remain. His defensive staff has done good work developing some of the younger players...

Something positive.

But the more Barry talks, the more he reveals simple-minded strategy that makes you doubt he’s the sophisticated guru needed to rebuild this defense. And the more his unit fails to assist one of the league’s best offenses, the clearer it becomes that the defense could stunt franchise’s growth.

Also, this one hurt to read:

8 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

that's the point. that's why they're available to be DCs. the known good ones are hired. 

We gone full circle, that was my original point

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Also the pool of candidates that MLF had to choose from was pretty poor this year. Who did we not get instead of this guy?

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, looking at the 2015 and 2015 WFT roster how many of those players would you say are starting material players?  Ryan Kerrigan is probably the only guy I'd say would be a starter on our roster.  The DL is full of a bunch of career journeymen.  The secondary isn't very good.  I'm more interested in the defensive philosophy more than anything else.

Breeland or Norman over King. Otherwise...?

14 hours ago, Chili said:

I don't get the logic.

Goes for inexperience by offering the job to Leonhard.

then turns around and says they chose Barry over Evero for his experience.

FFS LaFleur! make up your mind!

Ahh, Leonard was coaching the whole defense as Barry has done. Evero coached just safeties right?

12 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

We know any other DCs in recent times that have been bad and gone on to be good/great?

Not DC but we have seen OCs/HCs have success here after leaving bad programs (MM in SF, Hackett in Jax, MLF in Tenn).

The only optimism I have with this hire is that maybe not being on a bottom 5 team helps Barry. Coaching can’t fix horrible rosters which the Lions and Team were.... if it works out, it is another testament for not taking a title at a bad organization. If it doesn’t work out nobody will be surprised 

1 minute ago, deathstar said:

You guys realize how unlikely it is that this fails right? Like anytime there’s a general consensus on this board it’s usually wrong.

GMTA  lol

I was thinking the same thing this morning.  A handful of posters decry a candidate and when that coach is hired the sky is falling.  Barry must have impressed MLF in those interviews.  I'm gonna hope for the best...

• Like 1