Barry it is.....

Leader

Random thought while my two year old is on the potty: this hire tells me that LaFleur isn’t as concerned about Xs and Os on defense and perceives our biggest problem to be motivation and mentality. When he was hired Pettine moved down to the sidelines - that could’ve been the result of LaFleur having a conversation with him stating that he wanted his DC in close proximity to the players and motivating them. 

• Like 2

Looking at stats from Barry's time as DC, one thing that stands out is forced fumbles. His defenses the 1st 3 years were right at the top in that category. Obviously that's not enough, but the aggressiveness it takes to accomplish that is something I suspect would have appealed to MLF. With so many rule changes geared toward offense, and offenses going for it on 4th down more than ever,  the ability to force turnovers is even more important than it's always been. Packers ranked 25th in that category in 2020. 24th in fumbles recovered and 18th in INT's. 

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

GMTA  lol

I was thinking the same thing this morning.  A handful of posters decry a candidate and when that coach is hired the sky is falling.  Barry must have impressed MLF in those interviews.  I'm gonna hope for the best...

It’s fair to be skeptical of this hiring . I am as well. The vitriol from some posters is astonishing. There’s nothing wrong by saying you don’t understand the pick and are skeptical of it . But to jump to conclusions like a ton of people did when we drafted Gary and during his rookie season or saying Aaron Rodgers was done , is just lunacy. Context matters . 

Hopefully Barry has learned something over the past several years about scheme, strategy, and execution that he did not understand before.  Otherwise.....this could be a major blunder. 

Should be an interesting press conference introducing him.  I wonder if he will get an insightful questions like....."Your defensive ranking for each of the previous teams that you were the DC for were near or at the bottom of the league. What do you say to the fans that read those rankings after you were announced as the DC and are now shaking their heads questioning your hiring to assure them that we will have a top flight championship quality defense?

Or is that too direct for our press covering the Packers.  Most of them are somewhat afraid of getting their credentials pulled if they ask to pointed of a question.

Just now, 15412 said:

Ok, I don’t understand the pick and am skeptical.

Packers fired Pettine to hire Pettine.

Short leash?   Could he literally be on a one or two year deal if the brass change their mind based on performance?  

If it doesn't work out, LaFleur is the one who needs to be on a tight leash.

Constantly being good enough to get mostly there is starting to get as embarrassing as being a Vikings fan.

This is exactly how we fell apart from 2014-2018.

Championship game.
Divisional game.
Championship game.
Injured Rodgers excuse.
Revelation that we've been pretending to be a good team in 2018.

Finishing that high that frequently while paying Aaron Rodgers crippled us on the talent acquisition and the same thing will be happening now.  We've got NOTHING to look forward to from our first round pick last year, and now we've got 29th overall this year. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

That's my goal, I'm going to keep doing it until September.

That doesn't work you know.  It's all a lie.  Watch:

*If there are cosmic rules to football we don't understand, I hereby challenge you to trade Jaire Alexander from the Packers to whichever  team Tom Brady is on. 

*Oh great and powerful LIE of football unknown and unknowable, I rebuke you now and forever.  I've thrown away my Packer pajama pants that had at least 4 cigarette burns in them, at least 17 paint stains, at least 13 other stains.  I've had them for 18 years or however long it's been since Samkon Gado was a thing and I got them at the KMart right next to Lambeau Field.  I also threw away my other Packer sweatpants.  And that ****ing beanie that was way too damn small it felt like I was wearing one of those Jewish hat things (no offense intended I don't know what those are called). 

Reverse jinxes don't work. 

Making a Fire Pettine thread didn't do a ****ing thing.  How do I know?  BECAUSE HE ALLOWED A 40 PLUS YARD TD WITH 6 ****ING SECONDS LEFT IN THE HALF. 

It doesn't ****ing matter who makes the gameday thread.  The Packers just happened to get their heads out of their ***sses long enough to beat a string of crap teams up until they played one legitimate team and they will never be able to beat a legitimate team because they don't give a **** about intellect, intelligence and scheme on defense.  LaFleur thinks players getting paid millions and MILLIONS of dollars each year just need a ****ing cheerleader.

So people keep (justifiably) bringing up his past performance as DC. It’s relevant, but it’s also important to recognize he’s likely going to Be coordinating a completely different style of defense in Fangio’s/Staley’s system this time. I think he only has one season of experience in that particular system as Phillips was the guy before Staley. No? 

I think GB will be running the two systems on Offense and defense that are currently most coveted in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That doesn't work you know.  It's all a lie.  Watch:

*If there are cosmic rules to football we don't understand, I hereby challenge you to trade Jaire Alexander from the Packers to whichever  team Tom Brady is on. 

*Oh great and powerful LIE of football unknown and unknowable, I rebuke you now and forever.  I've thrown away my Packer pajama pants that had at least 4 cigarette burns in them, at least 17 paint stains, at least 13 other stains.  I've had them for 18 years or however long it's been since Samkon Gado was a thing and I got them at the KMart right next to Lambeau Field.  I also threw away my other Packer sweatpants.  And that ****ing beanie that was way too damn small it felt like I was wearing one of those Jewish hat things (no offense intended I don't know what those are called). 

Reverse jinxes don't work. 

Making a Fire Pettine thread didn't do a ****ing thing.  How do I know?  BECAUSE HE ALLOWED A 40 PLUS YARD TD WITH 6 ****ING SECONDS LEFT IN THE HALF. 

It doesn't ****ing matter who makes the gameday thread.  The Packers just happened to get their heads out of their ***sses long enough to beat a string of crap teams up until they played one legitimate team and they will never be able to beat a legitimate team because they don't give a **** about intellect, intelligence and scheme on defense.  LaFleur thinks players getting paid millions and MILLIONS of dollars each year just need a ****ing cheerleader.

You fixed Aaron Rodgers. You don't just get to be the reverse jinx guy, you ran out of power. I'm the optimist on this board, so it's only fair I continue to remind you all how bad Matt LaFleur screwed us here with this joke of a hire until it's no longer a joke of a hire.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You fixed Aaron Rodgers. You don't just get to be the reverse jinx guy, you ran out of power. I'm the optimist on this board, so it's only fair I continue to remind you all how bad Matt LaFleur screwed us here with this joke of a hire until it's no longer a joke of a hire.

No, Raymond.  It's a lie. 

f3c.gif

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Lol this keeps getting better. My #1 hope of a new DC making Jaire follow other teams #1 doesn't seem likely.

Hopefully Gray, Smith and Montgomery tell the individual positions what to do. I heard from Will Blackmon that Barry personally greets the defensive players before practice. Hopefully that's why we hired him, while the other coaches do the work.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You don't have the intestinal fortitude to make it that far

Oh you just wait. Gutey and LaFleur haven't pissed me off before. I was OK with the Love pick and the Dillon pick. Was an odd draft but didn't upset me. 

This, I still cant wrap my brain around how dumb it looks. The world was our oyster and we scraped this barnacle off the Matt LaFleur buddy boat.