The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - March 16th

Deadpulse

51 minutes ago, D82 said:

Honestly, wasn't a fan of this. One of Marvel's rare misses for me. 

I can see why.  I enjoyed it, but it's probably lower half MCU.  Let's try an off the cuff MCU ranking here:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. The Avengers
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. Iron Man
  7. Captain America: Civil War
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. WandaVision
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Ant-Man
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  15. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  16. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  17. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Black Panther
  22. Captain Marvel
  23. The Incredible Hulk
  24. Iron Man 3
  25. Thor: The Dark World

16 of 25 seems about right

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I can see why.  I enjoyed it, but it's probably lower half MCU.  Let's try an off the cuff MCU ranking here:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers: Infinity War
  3. Avengers: Endgame
  4. The Avengers
  5. Thor: Ragnarok
  6. Iron Man
  7. Captain America: Civil War
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy
  9. Doctor Strange
  10. WandaVision
  11. Captain America: The First Avenger
  12. Ant-Man
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  15. Spider-Man: Far From Home
  16. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  17. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 2
  18. Thor
  19. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  20. Iron Man 2
  21. Black Panther
  22. Captain Marvel
  23. The Incredible Hulk
  24. Iron Man 3
  25. Thor: The Dark World

16 of 25 seems about right

Yeah, that's about where I'd have it. 

It was solid? I'm not sure how to describe it. I thought for the early season set ups, the payoffs were pretty poor.

- Flag smashers entire plan was to kidnap the council and negotiate with.....whom? I get it, they weren't really the point of the show, but I really wish they had something a little more fruitful. I do understand they could've been impacted by the whole cut virus storyline, so maybe that's why they felt empty?

- Sharon Carter being the power broker sucks. I kept hoping at the end of the post credit scene she was reporting to someone else, as in she's working for someone more powerful. As of now it looks like she's the powerbroker. So when Zemo earlier mentioned he had met the powerbroker (and stated it was a he) I guess he met an alias? Also, how did Carter get all that power after being on the run? Not loving that aspect either.

The things I did like:

- I liked the character arcs for Falcon and Bucky. Both of those had good character development which I think helps set up new movies. I understand that this was the point of the show, so I thought they nailed it in that regards.

- US Agent. I thought they handled Walker pretty well. Instead of being a dumb villain or secondary villain he showed some growth. I'm glad WR is hanging around. I do think the eventual move to become the thunderbolts will hurt this current version of the character, but it would make a great storyline. Especially with Zemo as their leader.

Overall I'd say a solid 6/10. Nothing that was ground breaking, but has some character development and sets up future movies quite well. Didn't hate it at all, but I won't remember it like I did with say Winter Soldier or Civil War.

• Like 1

Wow, so they're really making Sharon Carter a full on witch. K. 

BTW it was lame she turned out to be the Power Broker. I was pretty disappointed. This show peaked at episode 4, and had a steady decline. I guess Julia Louise Dreyfus was our main cameo, but that didn't really move the needle for me. Was hoping for a hint at a heavy hitter towards the end. 

I have mixed feelings on Sam as Captain America. I'm black myself, and thought it was cooler when he was just The Falcon. Not interested in hand-me-downs, and how now it's an entire circus regarding his race. Also, Sam telling the senator "We shouldn't call them terrorists" or whatever was ******* stupid. Those yahoos literally bombed and killed innocent people. They're terrorists. 

And I guess we won't get a definitive answer regarding Steve Rogers whether he's still alive or dead. Guess I'll let Marvel slide on that one since later down the line they might want to bring him back in some capacity. 

Bradley had a good story, and the museum statue was a nice touch, but when I think of it further if I was in his place...I dunno, I feel like if I was tortured, exploited, imprisoned and erased by an institution I wouldn't feel better about it if they put up an "appreciate it" statue of me, and charged money to get people to see it while I'm still stuck in my tuna can house in an overpoliced neighborhood.

I know it seems like I focused too much on the negative. There were aspects of the show I liked and it seemed like the series was really getting better after episode 4. It just didn't stick the landing like I had hoped. I do want to see more of US Agent, as I thought he made a good anti-hero. Batroc the Leaper made a good henchman. Zemo was SO good in this show, and it was hilarious seeing him kill 4 people by proxy and then just happily go to sleep. Madripoor will be coming back in Shang Chi so that's awesome. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

43 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Wow, so they're really making Sharon Carter a full on witch. K. 

BTW it was lame she turned out to be the Power Broker. I was pretty disappointed. This show peaked at episode 4, and had a steady decline. I guess Julia Louise Dreyfus was our main cameo, but that didn't really move the needle for me. Was hoping for a hint at a heavy hitter towards the end. 

I have mixed feelings on Sam as Captain America. I'm black myself, and thought it was cooler when he was just The Falcon. Not interested in hand-me-downs, and how now it's an entire circus regarding his race. Also, Sam telling the senator "We shouldn't call them terrorists" or whatever was ******* stupid. Those yahoos literally bombed and killed innocent people. They're terrorists. 

And I guess we won't get a definitive answer regarding Steve Rogers whether he's still alive or dead. Guess I'll let Marvel slide on that one since later down the line they might want to bring him back in some capacity. 

There's a flip-side to this which was kind of his point...

I don't have a problem with Sam as Captain America. My main issue lies in the fact that he doesn't have the serum...so I mean he's going to be out of his element against some of the more heavy hitters that they'll likely face down the road. 

I guess I just don't understand Sharon suddenly turning evil. Nothing about her character in previous appearances hinted at that at all. And I get her maybe harboring some ill-will after helping Steve out...but...a full on switch to criminal mastermind? Just didn't fit. Unless she's a Skrull...otherwise it just doesn't add up.

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

I don't have a problem with Sam as Captain America. My main issue lies in the fact that he doesn't have the serum...so I mean he's going to be out of his element against some of the more heavy hitters that they'll likely face down the road. 

I guess I just don't understand Sharon suddenly turning evil. Nothing about her character in previous appearances hinted at that at all. And I get her maybe harboring some ill-will after helping Steve out...but...a full on switch to criminal mastermind? Just didn't fit. Unless she's a Skrull...otherwise it just doesn't add up.

Well yeah, it was clear by episode 4 when Walker didn't have any serum before, and was throwing the shield like whatever, it made it seem like anyone could do it serum or not. That was a little disappointing, and I wonder if the showrunners ever stopped to think "Wait how does Walker/Sam throw the shield without serum?" But maybe in their head they just said anyone can throw it, but just not as hard. Kind of weak reasoning, but whatever. 

Sam's new is made out of Vibranium so...I guess it is an upgrade and he'll have more armor at least. But yeah, he shouldn't be able to take a punch to the head like Steve Rogers did and survive. He'd just get killed. 

44 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Well yeah, it was clear by episode 4 when Walker didn't have any serum before, and was throwing the shield like whatever, it made it seem like anyone could do it serum or not. That was a little disappointing, and I wonder if the showrunners ever stopped to think "Wait how does Walker/Sam throw the shield without serum?" But maybe in their head they just said anyone can throw it, but just not as hard. Kind of weak reasoning, but whatever. 

Sam's new is made out of Vibranium so...I guess it is an upgrade and he'll have more armor at least. But yeah, he shouldn't be able to take a punch to the head like Steve Rogers did and survive. He'd just get killed. 

The fact he can throw it isn't a big deal to me, we've seen numerous other non-powered characters throw it (Hawkeye & Black Widow as an example). They showed us a training montage of sorts so he could better be able to catch/utilize it, so I don't have a problem with that aspect.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Yeah that was pretty bad. The shield will embed itself in a tree but a chair just knocks it down without damage.

We don't see who throws the shield into the tree, but I had to believe it was Bucky who did it. The chair knock the shield down was pretty stupid, but I dunno, maybe that's the fallback if Sam can't throw it as hard. A second earlier he also hits Batroc in the face with the shield, and Batroc just covers himself with his forearm. Didn't seem that phased by it. Walker also hit Zemo straight up in the head with it, and he just had a headache the rest of the day. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Episode is out, so SPOILERS BEWARE!!!  .....

• Great speech from Sam on national TV.  Gotta have the hella good speeches if you are Cap
  • I liked the Walker redemptive arc, but still a lot of the same guy.  Good to see him make a right choice when it mattered.
  • I hope they can make the Sharon Carter as the Power Broker work.  I thought about it before, but it seemed kind of a weak angle.  I hope in her next appearance we get to see some straight up ruthlessness from her, moreso than we got in this episode.
  • The Isaiah Bradley storyline wrapped up nicely.  I'd be on board for a prequel miniseries.  I doubt it ever happens though as it can't really have a satisfactory ending, because we just got his satisfactory ending.
  • Zemo still orchestrating events from behind bars is a nice touch, we'll obviously see him again.  The MCU is going to end up with a better Suicide Squad that whatever the hell it is WB is trying to do.
  • The new Cap suit looks great, I was curious how well it would translate and they nailed it.
  • Flag smashers were a pretty weak villain, but they were never really the point, just the macguffin to get Sam talking about what they wanted him to talk about.
  • Bucky's arc was great in this show.  I wish the final title line would have been Captain America and Bucky Barnes as opposed to still referring to him as The Winter Soldier.  It would have much better represented the metamorphosis that both underwent during the show.
  • Mackie and Stan really do have great chemistry together on screen.  Hopefully we get a pretty good dose of it in the next phase or two of the MCU.

I think I agree with almost everything you said. Maybe even use the White Wolf moniker instead of WS. The finale was just so inconsistent with the action set pieces being the weakness while more quiet moments stood out more especially the museum visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D82 said:

I mentioned this before but Steve and Bucky were technically out of their elements against someone like Loki or Thanos. So the same could be said for them also. They work better in their own corner. With Sam, you can negate the lack of super serum with tech like Iron Man.

Edited by Xenos