Using early picks on backup offensive linemen

biggie.

1 minute ago, WideRight said:

Some of these guys absolutely had starter ceilings when picked. Jimmy G, Rudolph, Whitehurst, Mallet. I wasn’t saying they intend them to start in year one, and I mentioned that, but they ceiling was starter somewhere for many of those - even if it wasn’t with their franchise. You take asset.

Exactly. They draft a player they think/hope can bring back a future asset. It's not to be a back-up for 15 years.

2 hours ago, scar988 said:

Matt Schaub, Falcons 2005 with Vick at QB.

Scaub became a starter. If you take him that high, you think he can start at some point. Even if it’s not for your team. You take the asset. My point is that even if you take a linemen in the 2nd, and he doesn’t start year one - you are definitely taking him with starter potential one day, not because you’re protecting against a Super Bowl OL disaster scenario.

I've said forever that an OT should almost always be taken by the 4th round of every draft. If they cant hack it outside then they should be able to kick in to the interior. Unless it is Nelson or some other high level OG I'm drafting OTs basically across the board and adjusting them to the spot of my choosing. 

If the draft is really deep at a posit I'll on I'm more than happy to double dip too. 

OL are getting paid big money now not just LTs, so people are going to work themselves out of your contract allowance occasionally. Keep farming talent and your entire offense has a much better chance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I've said forever that an OT should almost always be taken by the 4th round of every draft. If they cant hack it outside then they should be able to kick in to the interior. Unless it is Nelson or some other high level OG I'm drafting OTs basically across the board and adjusting them to the spot of my choosing. 

If the draft is really deep at a posit I'll on I'm more than happy to double dip too. 

OL are getting paid big money now not just LTs, so people are going to work themselves out of your contract allowance occasionally. Keep farming talent and your entire offense has a much better chance. 

Plus we saw what happened to GB and KC; o-line injuries are devastating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, biggie. said:

Plus we saw what happened to GB and KC; o-line injuries are devastating.

Yep. The Bears offense is trash in large part due to QB (as per usual) but the garbage play from our OTs is critical too. That killed our run game and puts more stress on Tru, which clearly works against the Bears overall.

BTW, as it pertains to OL, you can NEVER have enough good offensive linemen. The Saints and Patriots proved that in the positive direction. The Falcons have somewhat proven that in the negative direction. Ideally, you have some good picks starting for you that might be first or 2nd or even third rounders. But you should also have depth taken each draft. At least 1 pick every season should be spent on an OL. Even if just for depth, it's always good to load up on talent there.

• Like 1

Several people have alluded to but I just checked; the Saints have drafted an OL every year since 2012. Drew Brees helps but they have had at worst a Top 10 OL for much of the decade. The amount of times they gave Teddy B, Mormon Tebow and Winston is probably why they've been 8-1? with their backup QB's (schedule and roster helps too) - TBH except Cooks, Meachem and Bush the Saints seem to exclusively pick Linemen (DT and OL) and DB's in Round 1 in Payton's tenure.

Only year Packers haven't drafted an OL was in 2015. They got David Bahktiari in Rnd 4 and Corey Linsley in Rnd 5.

Patriots every year since 2014 they've picked an OL.

Sure these 3 teams probably have stellar OL coaching and HOF QB's, and theres likely more teams that do this, but OP it definitely some team are already actively doing this.

29 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

Several people have alluded to but I just checked; the Saints have drafted an OL every year since 2012. Drew Brees helps but they have had at worst a Top 10 OL for much of the decade. The amount of times they gave Teddy B, Mormon Tebow and Winston is probably why they've been 8-1? with their backup QB's (schedule and roster helps too) - TBH except Cooks, Meachem and Bush the Saints seem to exclusively pick Linemen (DT and OL) and DB's in Round 1 in Payton's tenure.

Only year Packers haven't drafted an OL was in 2015. They got David Bahktiari in Rnd 4 and Corey Linsley in Rnd 5.

Patriots every year since 2014 they've picked an OL.

Sure these 3 teams probably have stellar OL coaching and HOF QB's, and theres likely more teams that do this, but OP it definitely some team are already actively doing this.

I'm honestly hoping the Falcons adopt this OL and DL philosophy carries over with Terry Fontenot to Atlanta. I'd love to see a situation where they trade down a couple times and pick up 2 additional seconds and get say, Azeez Ojulari in the first, Leatherwood, a solid RB and Dickerson in the second. I think this could really be the best plan for the Falcons turnaround.

Edited by scar988

20 hours ago, scar988 said:

Non-Falcons Saints situations:

2019 Will Grier - Carolina - Cam Newton

2018 Mason Rudolph - Pittsburgh - Big Ben

2016 Jacoby Brissett - New England - Tom Brady

2014 Jimmy Garappolo - New England - Tom Brady

2010 Ryan Mallett - New England - Tom Brady

2008 Kevin O'Connell - New England - Tom Brady

2006 Charlie Whitehurst - San Diego - Phillip Rivers

I am seeing a pattern. 

Also the Seahawks traded a 2nd round pick for whitehurst just a year or two later. So not only did one team use an early draft pick, another team also used an early draft pick on the same backup quarterback. That’s how good he was at backing up.

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I would use a third or fourth on a OL literally every year, regardless how good my line is. Almost all my Raider mocks usually have a Guard in the 3rd or 4th.

I feel like offensive line, CB, EDGE, and DT/NT are positions that you can do this with every year in rounds 4-7. Can never have to many good player at any of these positions as they usually rotate more than other positions. 

Backup picks for OLs should only be in the late rounds unless they're someone you think will develop into a starter.

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I would use a third or fourth on a OL literally every year, regardless how good my line is. Almost all my Raider mocks usually have a Guard in the 3rd or 4th.

Not a third, but agree on the fourth.  Fourth round is the point where you kind of lose a decent chance at landing starters, and future starters can be found pretty consistently in the fourth and fifth rounds, especially in the interior.