Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

On 10/20/2017 at 8:22 AM, Shanedorf said:

Everything you posted is certainly true and thanks for sharing that insight....however, Rodgers has access to the best of the best in terms of his surgical team and his post-operative care. He is also an elite athlete who takes great care of his nutrition and overall health, making him an "ideal" surgical candidate.

There have been immense leaps forward in both the surgical procedures and in rehab and you can be sure he has access to them, if so desired

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1934148215000477

"In orthopedic surgery there has been a never-ending quest to improve surgical outcome and the patient's experience. Progression has been marked by the refinement of surgical techniques and instruments and later by enhanced diagnostic imaging capability, specifically magnetic resonance. Over time implant optimization was achieved, along with the development of innovative minimally invasive arthroscopic technical skills to leverage new versions of classic procedures and implants to improve short-term patient morbidity and initial, mid-term, and long-term patient outcomes.

The use of regenerative and/or biological adjuncts to aid the healing process has followed in the drive for continual improvement, and major breakthroughs in basic science have significantly unraveled the mechanisms of key healing and regenerative pathways. A wide spectrum of primary and complementary regenerative treatments is becoming increasingly available, including blood-derived preparations, growth factors, bone marrow preparations, and stem cells. This is a new era in the application of biologically active material, and it is transforming clinical practice by providing effective supportive treatments either at the time of the index procedure or during the postoperative period. Regenerative treatments are currently in active use to enhance many areas of orthopedic surgery in an attempt to improve success and outcome"

The literal next paragraph of the abstract:

"In this review we provide a comprehensive overview of the peer-reviewed evidence-based literature, highlighting the clinical outcomes in humans both with preclinical data and human clinical trials involving regenerative preparations within the areas of rotator cuff, meniscus, ligament, and articular cartilage surgical repair."

Aka not bone healing. Bones have marrow, which already has stem cells, and good nerve/blood supply, which means it heals well already, especially if you are a healthy athlete. Upper extremity bones tend not to heal quite as fast as lower extremity, as a rule, but he will surely be getting some therapy, putting some weight through it when ready, doing everything possible nutritionally and keeping in shape otherwise, but yea, bone healing pretty much is what it is. Hopefully the shoulder joint wasn't involved and it was just the clavicle, sounds like they have some hope, but it'd still be pretty incredible if he came back.

Reggie White willed himself back, but I am of the school that Rodgers should be shut down for the rest of the year. Never take chances with a player of Rodgers' caliber. A second injury to his throwing shoulder this year might end his career. It isn't worth the risk. Hundley is as good as Case Keenum and the Vikings are in the race. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Reggie White willed himself back, but I am of the school that Rodgers should be shut down for the rest of the year. Never take chances with a player of Rodgers' caliber. A second injury to his throwing shoulder this year might end his career. It isn't worth the risk. Hundley is as good as Case Keenum and the Vikings are in the race. 

Is there anything to back that up?  I don't see how him re-breaking the collarbone would end his career, but then again I'm not a doctor or have any experience with that kind of injury.

In this thread: lots of assumptions from people who are not doctors.

No one except Aaron Rodgers and his personal medical team have any idea about his recovery. To discuss anything about median recovery times from collarbone surgery is speculation at best and assumption at worst. Green Bay, to the frustration of many fans, has consistently been one of the most conservative medical groups in the NFL. If Aaron Rodgers comes back this year, it's because the doctors have said he is 100% safe for contact and playing the game of football again. Not sure why some guys think McCarthy or TT would hear, "There's a 10% chance a wrong hit on this shoulder could potentially end his career" and the Packers roll the dice and start him anyway. There is simply no possible way that will ever happen. 

Hi CWood, No, there's no way to back that up. It's just my opinion. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. I finally watched "the hit." It didn't look that bad. Rodgers kind of rolled through it. There was just one point where his elbow jammed for a second through the roll. That must have done it. Just really bad luck. When Rodgers got on the cart for a ride to the locker room, he even kind of put his right hand down to push himself to the back of the cart! It's hard to believe it even required surgery. As others have said, the Packer's medical staff is very conservative. I went to the same high school as Dr. MacKenzie. It was a Catholic high school run by the Christian Brothers back in the late 60's early 70's where we were imbued with strong moral teachings. Based on that background, I very much doubt Dr. MacKenzie would ever do anything to jeopardize any of the players in any way. 

Archived