Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

As a side note, if Hundley bombs the next 3-4 weeks, I'm starting a petition to bring back Favre. Just for the entertainment value. 

Only if we want comic relief.

Guys, it isn't the end of the world if Hundley bombs.  If he does we miss the playoffs and have a shot at a top 10 pick in the spring and our pick of superior talent in subsequent rounds.  If Hundley shines we can then trade him to a QB needy team who will over pay for him.  This is a win/win situation for us if you look at it this way and resign yourself that this season just wasn't meant to be with all of our injuries.  IMO our main concern right should be getting our MVP QB healthy again and ready to go in 2018.

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

First one was non throwing shoulder, this one is throwing shoulder. Two different sides.

For Rodgers yes... I was saying Romo. He is the only QB in recent history, with collarbone injuries. I was wondering if the first break was to his throwing, I believe it was against philly.

I know Tony's second one was to his non throwing shoulder.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Tony Romo. But like his first or second game back he broke it again I want to say.

This is my concern with Rodgers. He is a similar age... and now this is his second.

And this is why we can't think of bringing him back too soon.  I think this is the mistake Dallas made with Tony.  Of course this is not the same shoulder.  With almost 6 months to recover  before the 2018 mini camps and the best medical folks taking care of him he should be in 2018.  This article talks about AR returning but what I found encouraging is it implies Rodgers will still be able to throw it like he did before the injury when he eventually returns.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-aaron-rodgers-surgery-return-packers-1016-story.html

Anytime we're talking about putting pins and screws in a QB's throwing shoulder, that should make everyone incredibly nervous. Romo lost velocity rapidly after his second break, and frankly I'm more than concerned that Aaron isn't going to look the same at least immediately.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

For Rodgers yes... I was saying Romo. He is the only QB in recent history, with collarbone injuries. I was wondering if the first break was to his throwing, I believe it was against philly.

I know Tony's second one was to his non throwing shoulder.

He broke the same one. That was why people questioned it so much.

2 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Anytime we're talking about putting pins and screws in a QB's throwing shoulder, that should make everyone incredibly nervous. Romo lost velocity rapidly after his second break, and frankly I'm more than concerned that Aaron isn't going to look the same at least immediately.

Romo threw 4 career passes after his second break... I think you are making things up

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

If we somehow magically are in a position to play in the super bowl that means a healthy Hundley is going to be light-years better than an atrophied throwing arm Rodgers.

Its a broken collar bone. His arm did not fall off. 

If they are in the position to make the playoffs in means a healthy Hundley played at least above average. If they are in position to play in the playoffs it means 3 months has passed since Aarons injury and he will likely be healthy enough to play and would have been throwing the football for weeks prior. 

6 minutes ago, DocHambone said:

Its a broken collar bone. His arm did not fall off. 

If they are in the position to make the playoffs in means a healthy Hundley played at least above average. If they are in position to play in the playoffs it means 3 months has passed since Aarons injury and he will likely be healthy enough to play and would have been throwing the football for weeks prior. 

Atrophied means loss of muscle tissue here. Significantly so. You won't see him throw against another team until mid August 2018. 

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

does a qb really lose arm strength if they don't throw/work out?  Isn't most of the velocity coming from his technique and other muscles?

I don't think any of us really know what the process/feeling/arm strength is from when he can start throwing until when he is cleared to play. However, I do think people here are being over dramatic with the sky is falling mentality. If we read between the lines its quite clear: If the packers are in position to make the playoffs towards mid December, then we will see Aaron Rodgers again this season. If not, then hes shut down.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Atrophied means loss of muscle tissue here. Significantly so. You won't see him throw against another team until mid August 2018. 

He's going to have a month and a half of not throwing, we're not talking months of atrophy. I see no reason he shouldn't be out there if we make it to WC weekend. That would give him probably a whole month of throwing before a game.

What happens if you hold him out til August and he gets a concussion (think that would be 4) and decides, eh that's enough. Guy turns 34 in a month. If you have a shot to win it all, he needs to be out there.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's going to have a month and a half of not throwing, we're not talking months of atrophy. I see no reason he shouldn't be out there if we make it to WC weekend. That would give him probably a whole month of throwing before a game.

What happens if you hold him out til August and he gets a concussion (think that would be 4) and decides, eh that's enough. Guy turns 34 in a month. If you have a shot to win it all, he needs to be out there.

Put your arm in a sling 24 hours a day for 5-6 weeks.  No lifting your arm to get a gallon of milk from the refrigerator.  

Minimal range of motion exercise until 8 weeks, then maybe some light beginning strength exercise.

Let us know how strong your arm is in 12 weeks from surgery with throwing a football 30 yards. 

39 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think he would have to get extraordinarily lucky to be cleared for contact in less than 3 months, probably more like 4 months. I'm not a doctor, but this seems more realistic than 6 weeks after have a surgical repair.

I've actually heard the surgery heals faster. You've connected the bone, whereas the way Rodgers did it last time he was out 7 weeks with just a crack waiting for the natural process of the bone to heal itself. The unfortunate fact this time is it's his throwing shoulder.

Still my goal would be to have him ready for wild card weekend. The fact that they are waiting to IR him has me hoping they're thinking the same. I mean we really dont need his roster spot if they decide they dont need to IR him at all for the sake of having him do limited practices before 8 weeks.

Archived