Aaron Rodgers Broken Collarbone - potentially out for season

Cakeshoppe

Just now, skibrett15 said:

nothing really, but it's probably more about finding the player to take the spot than anything else.

Alternatively, if there is a chance Rodgers is returning, they have the option to IR someone else who might get hurt this week and would actually return later this year if they don't ever IR rodgers.

I was under the impression that the IR designation was no longer a thing.  Am I mistaken?

I think the rest of this season is going to be very interesting in determining the legacy of Thompson, MM, and even Capers. Are the draft picks not named Rodgers, Matthews, etc going to step up or is TT like every other GM (hits on a few really big picks)? Does MM adapt and show us why he is high on Hundley? Does Capers get the defense to rise and fill some of the void?

I'm actually exited to see how the rest of the season goes. Yes it sucks losing the probable MVP and knowing a SB is almost out of the picture.  But as football fan this gives me something to really watch for. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Going to go ahead and ask this, what do the Packers stand to gain by waiting to IR Rodgers?

Absolutely nothing. Just a matter of finding a player to take his roster spot. Even putting Rodgers on IR doesn't mean it's a lock that his season is over. Honestly though, any hope of Rodgers returning is just false hope. 

4 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Absolutely nothing. Just a matter of finding a player to take his roster spot. Even putting Rodgers on IR doesn't mean it's a lock that his season is over. Honestly though, any hope of Rodgers returning is just false hope. 

It's one thing to get hopes or expectations up, but I haven't seen anything yet that says it wouldn't be reasonable that Rodgers still has a chance to return this year. From what I've read, collarbones are typically n 8-10 week injury if there's no surgery. Unless there's been some news that came out while I was at work today that I haven't seen yet, I don't think hope that he'll return is "false hope". It just needs to be tempered and there shouldn't be an expectation that he will return.

2 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

It's one thing to get hopes or expectations up, but I haven't seen anything yet that says it wouldn't be reasonable that Rodgers still has a chance to return this year. From what I've read, collarbones are typically n 8-10 week injury if there's no surgery. Unless there's been some news that came out while I was at work today that I haven't seen yet, I don't think hope that he'll return is "false hope". It just needs to be tempered and there shouldn't be an expectation that he will return.

He needs surgery. McCarthy confirmed it during his press conference. It's still not for sure he doesn't return but it would most likely be in the playoffs and us making it that far is a long shot right now. 

Just now, Ketchup said:

He needs surgery. McCarthy confirmed it during his press conference. It's still not for sure he doesn't return but it would most likely be in the playoffs and us making it that far is a long shot right now. 

Ok thanks, I hadn't seen that yet. In that case, yeah it's a long shot.

Just now, incognito_man said:

the 'rob gronkowski rule'

should really be more IMO, and with varying lengths as well. more like baseball.

100% agree. I said that years ago when it was simply IR and your season is over. It's slow progress with the NFL IR but there is progress so we have to be thankful for that at least. 

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the 'rob gronkowski rule'

should really be more IMO, and with varying lengths as well. more like baseball.

It's still illogical. Oh we have all these rules so guys won't get hurt. But if you do bye bye! 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

alternately, just let the PS players be on the roster and increase number of weekly inactives from 7 to 16 or something.

Why even have gameday inactives? What do those do? Then you have situations like we did in ATL where Guion was playing OG and that's a risk to both himself, his QBs/RBs and the guys he's blocking because he has no fricken clue what he's doing. I'll never understand the NFLs roster restrictions. You can dress 100 guys in college.

Archived