What are you thinking about?

pwny

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, Heimdallr said:

If there is a dramatic difference in taste, that is a skill issue. 

Gas is better than electric because you can control the temp more easily, but that is the only difference. Once you get used to an electric range you can make everything just as well. 

Induction is far superior to gas for the same reason (plus easier to clean, no carbon monoxide, etc.).

Yeah.  It really shouldn't affect the flavour per se.  Though i guess the sear can often be part of the flavour.  The biggest thing is just...the heat control, and especially with some modern electric stoves it's ******* impossible to keep the heat up.  Just completely goofy on/off cycle bull****.  Wasn't always that way.  But makes it nightmarish trying to sear things properly with some stoves...and suddenly it cycles off for a bit before coming back on.  They've gotten so much worse over time as they add "safety features".

Every type of stove has it's +/- though.

Electrics Coils are easiest to clean i think, and some of them are alright if they don't have "safety features" and try to cycle heat on/off to keep it "even".  Those ones are infuriating and practically impossible to use. Otherwise, they're easy, predictable, and convenient, once you sorta learn their "curve".

Glass/Ceramic cooktops always seem to have a weird sort of "ramp up" effect.  It's like...nothing...nothing...nothing...extremely hot, and they don't shed heat well when you dial it back.  Just sort of retain it.  And then they're a total nightmare to keep clean.  But they aren't as susceptible to that cycle on/off disaster because they retain heat, too much.

Induction stoves, i don't have a lot of experience with, but the times i've used one, it was absolutely *** with a completely unpredictable heating curve that seems totally unnatural, but that's more a "learning issue".  Probably takes time to figure out.  Bigger issue is the already mentioned factor of having to basically commit to buying all new pots and pans, and using very specific types of cookware, which isn't really cheap and isn't always the most "practical" or convenient.

Gas stoves are obviously the sort of "cooking standard".  The advantages are obvious.  Great heat control, instant response.  Not really that bad to keep clean.  Disadvantages are you could explode.  But mostly it's just practical stuff like all the extra toxic **** you're inhaling in a non-commercial kitchen with just normal ventilation, the cost of getting a place set up with gas lines right where you need 'em if they're not already there, and the cost of gas vs just electricity.  All that sort of stuff.

idk.  Stoves are bull****.  They all suck somehow.  It's kinda just about learning to work around the specific suck you're stuck with i guess.  Some issues easier than others.

• Like 2

My last major relationship was in college, which I burned because of my drinking. Since then I've been focusing on my career, sobriety, and personal development. Never dated with any type of intent emotionally, and (who'd a thunk it) never felt any real connection.

All that to say, I think I met somebody.

Gonna take it slow and manage expectations. I haven't known her very long, and you never know how someone else truly feels or what is going on in their head at this stage. But my dudes, but this is the first time in a decade I've felt that initial level of "gets me" with anyone.

Excited to see what happens over the next few months.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My last major relationship was in college, which I burned because of my drinking. Since then I've been focusing on my career, sobriety, and personal development. Never dated with any type of intent emotionally, and (who'd a thunk it) never felt any real connection.

Gonna take it slow and manage expectations. I haven't known her very long, and you never know how someone else truly feels or what is going on in their head at this stage. But my dudes, but this is the first time in a decade I've felt that initial level of "gets me" with anyone.

The cat chose her didn’t she?

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

The cat chose her didn’t she?

Of course, do you think I'm in charge around here?

She's smart, funny, a recovering addict with a stable amount of clean time (massive plus for me), works in something kind of adjacent to what I do, cat person, and ridiculously attractive. Felt like we had been friends forever right away.

I don't normally get my hopes up for stuff like this, but it really feels like a unicorn fell in my lap.

• Like 5

I made a 30 yard field goal for $1000, that was fun.  Just look up Kasasa kick for cash on youtube if you want to see it.  43 years old, still got it, lol.

Edit, went ahead and put it here

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I made a 30 yard field goal for $1000, that was fun.  Just look up Kasasa kick for cash on youtube if you want to see it.  43 years old, still got it, lol.

The heck?  Lefty kicker?

BURN THE WITCH.

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Of course, do you think I'm in charge around here?

She's smart, funny, a recovering addict with a stable amount of clean time (massive plus for me), works in something kind of adjacent to what I do, cat person, and ridiculously attractive. Felt like we had been friends forever right away.

I don't normally get my hopes up for stuff like this, but it really feels like a unicorn fell in my lap.

Pretty much how I felt about my wife.  It felt like we had been friends for a while, and when I went home to meet her parents, both of her cats were staying there since he current place didn’t allow them to be there.  The oldest one hopped right on the dinner table and smelled me out.  Basically had the “what are your intentions” talk instead of her dad.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

You buried that.  Great kick and congrats!  I love the last still frame in the video.  The smirk says it all like you knew it felt good.  I'd be using that as a profile pic everywhere lol.  I'd also make a sticker of it, if you have an Iphone (not sure if Android has this or not, but I'd imagine they do too) to send to my friends any time they get talking reckless.   

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 7:19 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Enjoy the honeymoon phase. It's so much fun. Sounds like there's real potential here. Good luck!

• Like 1