Last active NFL player from each decade

pf9

1920s: Ken Strong (1929-47)
1930s: Sammy Baugh (1937-52) and Ray Bray (1939-52)
1940s: George Blanda (1949-75)
1950s: Earl Morrall (1956-76)
1960s: Jeff Van Note and Charlie Joiner (both 1969-86)
1970s: Steve DeBerg (1978-98)
1980s: John Carney (1988-2010)
1990s: Adam Vinatieri (1996-2019, has not yet announced retirement)

• Like 2

I don't think I realized that Steve DeBerg played quite that long. It's always crazy to see how long inoffensively mediocre QBs can stick around.

EDIT: Just looked up his career, how and why did he unretire after 4 years off at age 44? That's incredibly odd.

EDIT2: Fun Atlanta Falcons fact. Steve DeBerg started one game as a 44 year old in 1998 for the Falcons. A 28-3 loss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Dang, Vinatieri...1996 was so long ago. You can almost hear that 28.8 modem sound as it connects to the internet. 

In 2017, when the Colts drafted Quincy Wilson it was mentioned that Wilson was a month old when Vinatieri made his NFL debut. The next 2 seasons the Colts had drafted at least one player born after that date. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think I realized that Steve DeBerg played quite that long. It's always crazy to see how long inoffensively mediocre QBs can stick around.

EDIT: Just looked up his career, how and why did he unretire after 4 years off at age 44? That's incredibly odd.

Deberg retired and, after taking a season off, became the QB coach for the Giants for two years. The Giants HC at the time was Dan Reeves, who coached Deberg in Dallas and Denver. When Reeves took the job in Atlanta Deberg didn't go with him, instead the Falcons signed Deberg to be a backup QB the following year.

I can't find anywhere that says it outright but it sounds like Reeves didn't have room for Deberg on his coaching staff any more but still wanted him to be part of the organization, so he brought him in as a backup. 

Just got a weird wave of sadness at how there are no more 90's players active. It's been a while, but I guess that is sort of the point. You forget as time starts to slip by and then see something like this and it hits you. Dam. I grew up with the 90's and 00's. Just thankful to be around for it all this time.