Georgia police want to question Dolphins CB Xavien Howard about shooting, Howard declines interview

Dome

5 hours ago, FinSting said:

Yup. Headline should read "Xavien Howard uses common sense."

The current headline is also factual, fwiw. Don’t disagree with you, but I thought a headline that gave a description of current situation made more sense. 

Howard can technically be compelled to talk by the NFL. It doesn’t sound like it will come to that any time soon, but I wonder what it would take. 

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Until this becomes a real story, I'm just going to believe Xavien Howard had nothing to do with it and that it is just a case of someone in the press trying to create some interest in a story when there isn't much else to talk about.  If we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, we should certainly also be innocent until any charges are even brought.

I don’t think you’ll get an argument from anyone on this forum about that. But depending on how badly police want to talk to him, that could be an issue for the Falcons game. 

Depending on how badly the NFL wants to talk to him, they could make his life miserable too. The NFL kind of loves doing investigations and I’m sure they want to get ahead of any potentially upsetting news. I’m sure they’d like to talk to him just to make sure everything is OK.

• Like 1

“We will decline comment,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a Sunday morning email to PFT regarding the situation.

To be honest, I would decline any comment from PFT too.  Flurio is a snake who is notorious for spinning words for headlines to get views.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Superduperman said:

Never talk to the police. Ever.

Best advice ever. Learned the hard way after a slip up in college with an OWI. Dude casually chatted me up in the patrol car but wrote down literally everything I said in the report. I could have fought it since I only blew a .09 but instead I ended up incriminating myself in the car...... lesson learned. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Best advice ever. Learned the hard way after a slip up in college with an OWI. Dude casually chatted me up in the patrol car but wrote down literally everything I said in the report. I could have fought it since I only blew a .09 but instead I ended up incriminating myself in the car...... lesson learned. 

"I am from the government and I am here to help." 

• Like 2

This seems very... well... murky?

The player in question doesn't have enough ties in this situation and it could just be a situation where they're interviewing Bilbo's entire client list (which would make sense). If he doesn't want to be questioned and denies any involvement, he shouldn't have to be questioned. This could (and likely is) a case where he didn't do anything wrong, but just doesn't want to talk to the cops.

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Hard to tell based on your story, but it sounds like you broke the law?

So the advice is, if you break the law definitely don't talk to the police?

10 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

Hard to tell based on your story, but it sounds like you broke the law?

So the advice is, if you break the law definitely don't talk to the police?

If you have broke the law especially, there is nothing to be gained from speaking with police. The only thing will happen is they will use your words to hang you. 

But even if you're totally innocent you should refuse questioning and ask for a lawyer. Tons of innocent people thought they were innocent and thus had nothing to hide only to get confused on a date or a time and give an alibi that looks like a lie because of that, misrememeber a situation, get confused by a question, or just generally not respond how an "innocent person should" and be hung because of it. 

If police are questioning you (as something other than a witness to a crime) they already have suspicion of you. Talking yourself out of that rarely, if ever happens even if you are actually innocent. Your right to silence is there for a reason, and is oftentimes your best asset at staying out of jail, you give them zero information that can be used against you. Take advantage of that. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

If you have broke the law especially, there is nothing to be gained from speaking with police. The only thing will happen is they will use your words to hang you. 

But even if you're totally innocent you should refuse questioning and ask for a lawyer. Tons of innocent people thought they were innocent and thus had nothing to hide only to get confused on a date or a time and give an alibi that looks like a lie because of that, misrememeber a situation, get confused by a question, or just generally not respond how an "innocent person should" and be hung because of it. 

If police are questioning you (as something other than a witness to a crime) they already have suspicion of you. Talking yourself out of that rarely, if ever happens even if you are actually innocent. Your right to silence is there for a reason, and is oftentimes your best asset at staying out of jail, you give them zero information that can be used against you. Take advantage of that. 

Truth. Always ask for a lawyer... unless it's a speeding ticket... and even then. Be very quiet and short with your answers. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Honestly this just seems like reckless journalism with a bunch of innuendo. Smoke? Fire? All I’ve seen is that there was a shooting a long time ago and he doesn’t want to talk to the police. Like who did tf wants to talk to the police? Why are they talking about invoking the 5th? No one said he did anything.

I agree there's alot of info missing seems like there's a player attached and they wanted to publish something even tho seems like this will end up being a non story.