Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

7 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Yes, you do come off insensitive when you call people lazy. There’s a host of different reasons why people don’t want to go back to work especially in the service and hospitality industry like restaurants. It’s generally low paying, little to no benefits, extremely unstable, and the workers get treated like crap from the bosses and customers. Most are also looking for better jobs or are changing career paths completely. Additionally, would you really want to go back to the same job if you were laid off so easily during Covid? And given the pandemic surge in Fl right now, would you feel safe especially since it’s against the state rules to require safety measures against Covid?

I worked in the service industry for 7 years of my life (few in college and post colleeg) and was always treated fairly by majority of staff, management, and customers. I made good money while I was at it. Paid off all student loans b/c I was having fun, goofing off being in my early 20s, still living w/ my mom and didn't feel like growing up yet lol. 

Guess what people are looking for w/ those better jobs? Experience. Know what they're not looking for? People not ******* working and having no experience. Seriously, how do you think this answer would sound to a potential employer for a desired position w/ a company: "I wasn't working b/c I don't think other jobs paid well so I decided to stay unemployed and get money from the government". They might try to church it up but, again, people hiring for good positions will see right through it. Does that sound like a go-getter to you? A driven individual? Sounds like the opposite to me lol. And again, yes, I understand that there are some people out there w/ legit reasons that cannot work but they are certainly the minority.

I've got my vaccine and I'm going to Florida in a week and some change so no, I don't care about the surge. They have the chance to get it and if they have not, then it's their choice but I'm not giving a dime or having sympathy for anyone begging for money when there's literally "Help Wanted" signs surrounding them, everywhere.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That's less than $25k a year before taxes.

Well if that's your goal, then the pay isn't the problem, the person is. Maybe I should tell him, who does far more than cook food, that he should sacrifice his pay to give them over $20 to put fries in a fryer or make a sandwich.

And again, remember that I said that I live in a city w/ a very low cost of living. Just want to make sure I made that known b/c it is important.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

We aren't seeing that anyway.

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/health/fully-vaccinated-people-breakthrough-hospitalization-death/index.html

I may still be misunderstanding, but I still don't see why the (extremely small) number of breakthrough cases matter. And who is to say we wouldn't see about the same number of breakthrough cases with the original strain or one of the earlier variants?

I think I was under the impression before the CDC’s warning on Delta that it was okay to have large mask less indoor gatherings as long as everyone was vaccinated. There would be no issues. Just like it was safe for us to be around other vaccinated people. But maybe  you’re right and it’s the media blowing Delta up to be bigger than it actually is.

I think I was under the impression before the CDC’s warning on Delta that it was okay to have large mask less indoor gatherings as long as everyone was vaccinated. There would be no issues. Just like it was safe for us to be around other vaccinated people. But maybe  you’re right and it’s the media blowing Delta up to be bigger than it actually is.

I'm pretty sure you are right about the CDC guidance for vaccinated individuals before Delta. I think ultimately my point is, based on the evidence we have now, that shouldn't change. Vaccinated people are still safe from COVID, regardless of the variant, while unvaccinated people are not.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I worked in the service industry for 7 years of my life (few in college and post colleeg) and was always treated fairly by majority of staff, management, and customers. I made good money while I was at it. Paid off all student loans b/c I was having fun, goofing off being in my early 20s, still living w/ my mom and didn't feel like growing up yet lol. 

Guess what people are looking for w/ those better jobs? Experience. Know what they're not looking for? People not ******* working and having no experience. Seriously, how do you think this answer would sound to a potential employer for a desired position w/ a company: "I wasn't working b/c I don't think other jobs paid well so I decided to stay unemployed and get money from the government". They might try to church it up but, again, people hiring for good positions will see right through it. Does that sound like a go-getter to you? A driven individual? Sounds like the opposite to me lol. And again, yes, I understand that there are some people out there w/ legit reasons that cannot work but they are certainly the minority.

I've got my vaccine and I'm going to Florida in a week and some change so no, I don't care about the surge. They have the chance to get it and if they have not, then it's their choice but I'm not giving a dime or having sympathy for anyone begging for money when there's literally "Help Wanted" signs surrounding them, everywhere.

I had more experience in the service industry than you do. And my experience was the opposite. Unfortunately, not a lot of people lived your honky dory privileged life. 

Edit; and please don’t give me that nonsense about the unemployed being lazy. There are people who worked harder than you but realize that they can’t put up the way things are anymore in the service industry.

Edited by Xenos

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Literally, I think 90% of stores in my town are hiring. Is it the same in other areas as it is here?

When I was in FL a few months ago, I drove by someone begging for money in front of 6 stores that had "Hiring" signs in the window. It's just pure ******* laziness now by a vast majority. Yeah, I'm sure some people can't work for whatever reason but this is getting bad right now. I don't care if I come across as insensitive in saying it. People need to get back out there and start working again. My brother owns a restaurant, pays well, and he's struggling so hard to find people to work. Same w/ a friend who owns a bar and pays even better. I'm glad that was revoked.

Don't think anyone standing outside a store begging for money is just "waiting around for the right job". 

Yes they need to find a way to get able people off unemployment and working again, but you're literally acting as if homeless people are choosing to be homeless instead of finding a job. It's not always that easy. 

I had more experience in the service industry than you do. And my experience was the opposite. Unfortunately, not a lot of people lived your honky dory privileged life. 

Edit; and please don’t give me that nonsense about the unemployed being lazy. There are people who worked harder than you but realize that they can’t put up the way things are anymore in the service industry.

"Honkey dory privilege life" lol **** you. You know nothing about me or my family or what I had to do to achieve what I have today. 

6 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Don't think anyone standing outside a store begging for money is just "waiting around for the right job". 

Yes they need to find a way to get able people off unemployment and working again, but you're literally acting as if homeless people are choosing to be homeless instead of finding a job. It's not always that easy. 

This dude had cleaner clothes on than I did lol. I've never been able to keep white shirts so clean. His hair was cut, beard was trimmed, he was clean lol. 

I'm not acting like anything. I just provided an isolated incident. I know there's far more to it with other people and every situation is different. I agree that majority, it's harder than that but when employers are literally begging for people to work, my sympathy has diminished some. I am not denying that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

"Honkey dory privilege life" lol **** you. You know nothing about me or my family or what I had to do to achieve what I have today. 

And you know nothing about those who are still unemployed right now. So stop with the horrible and ignorant generalizations.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This dude had cleaner clothes on than I did lol. I've never been able to keep white shirts so clean. His hair was cut, beard was trimmed, he was clean lol. 

I'm not acting like anything. I just provided an isolated incident. I know there's far more to it with other people and every situation is different. I agree that majority, it's harder than that but when employers are literally begging for people to work, my sympathy has diminished some. I am not denying that. 

My employers were great to us and took care of us until it was no longer viable, and had to lay us off temporarily. Even when I was looking for another job, I wanted to come back to them. Likewise, I have friends in the food industry that did the same, and they were able to bring back most of their former employees.

My nephew, w/ his first job, is jockying a register at Wal-Mart making $14.50 an hour in rural Ohio. Anyone can go in there, bust their ***, make an impression on management, get promoted w/in probably a year (and probably multiple times), and start their way to a better life. That's not easy though and easy is the route people love to take these days.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

41 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Cooks $12/hour in rural Ohio. It's good pay for the work where we live b/c the cost of living is low.

Without knowing the specifics of the area, I'm not surprised. Being a cook is a hard job without ready-made advancement. In this market, I'd either want advancement opportunity or more money now.

We aren't hiring the same demographic, but it's impossible to get people in the door. I've been having to throw around every bit of political capital I have to try and get salary bands stretched. It's not even for a great candidate, honestly. But relatively they feel like a unicorn.

He might have better luck offering a 3 month bonus or something.