Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Paywalled.

CDC study shows three-fourths of people infected in Massachusetts coronavirus outbreak were vaccinated but few required hospitalization.

A sobering scientific analysis published Friday found that three-quarters of the people infected during an explosive coronavirus outbreak fueled by the delta variant were fully vaccinated. The report on the Massachusetts cases, from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, offers key evidence bolstering the hypothesis that vaccinated people can spread the more transmissible variant and may be a factor in the summer surge of infections. Critically, the study found that vaccinated individuals carried as much virus in their noses as unvaccinated individuals, strongly suggesting that vaccinated people could spread the virus to others. The CDC was criticized this week for changing its mask guidance without publishing the data it relied on. The report released Friday contains some of that data. A CDC internal document obtained by The Washington Post estimated that 35,000 vaccinated people a week in the United States are having symptomatic breakthrough infections..........delta variant is as transmissible as chickenpox and is likely to cause more-severe infections than past variants. Wisconsin data showed that unvaccinated people were twice as likely to be infected as fully vaccinated people. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/07/30/provincetown-covid-outbreak-vaccinated/

• Like 1

Another paywalled article:

You’re going to be asked to prove your vaccination status. Here’s how to do it.

Your smartphone can help you safely carry your coronavirus vaccination record, from a simple photo snap to a secure app. Just don’t call it a ‘vaccine passport.’

Of all the services we tested, the free Clear Health Pass was the most flexible and likely the most useful right now. (We just wish it didn’t come from a company that’s also in the business of selling subscriptions to get through airport security.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/07/31/covid-vaccine-card-phone/

SARS-CoV-2 Lambda variant exhibits higher infectivity and immune resistance

...In contrast, nevertheless of its higher infectivity, the Epsilon variant, an ex VOC, has been excluded from the VOC/VOI classification on July 6, 2021 because this variant was stamped out (WHO, 2021a). The transient and unsuccessful (compared to the other VOCs) spread of the Epsilon variant in the human population implies that increasing viral infectivity is insufficient to maintain efficient spread in the human population. In addition to increasing viral infectivity, the Delta variant exhibits higher resistance to the vaccine-induced neutralization (Mlcochova et al., 2021; Wall et al., 2021b). Similarly, here we showed that the Lambda variant equips not only increased infectivity but also resistance against antiviral immunity. These observations suggest that acquiring at least two virological features, increased viral infectivity and evasion from antiviral immunity, is pivotal to the efficient spread and transmission in the human population...

Source

Note: This study is a preprint. Last I heard the Lamba variant is only in South America. Hopefully it ends there a well.

5 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Source

Note: This study is a preprint. Last I heard the Lamba variant is only in South America. Hopefully it ends there a well.

So many variants to keep track of. Do you remember when we thought the one in Italy last year was a variant? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Oh snap. Are we about to move from the Lambda variant to the MoL variant? If so, we’re F’D. 

That’s a helluva point. 

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if my smugness starts a new variant. Could be world altering.

11 hours ago, TLO said:

That’s a helluva point. 

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if my smugness starts a new variant. Could be world altering.

Just don't buy a hybrid if you're going to be that way.

*This is a South Park joke for those whom may be confused

On 7/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, pwny said:

Didn’t want to derail the topic in NFL News any further, but I needed to say this:

This 99.998% is just absolutely hilarious. Reported cases of COVID in the US are just under $35M. A 99.998% survival rate would mean that less than 700 people in the US have died from COVID.

But as noted by these people, not only are the death totals fraudulent, but the positive cases are fraudulent too. So once you account for half of those being fake, we’re talking about 350 deaths total across the entire United States. 350. 

Somehow, the entire medical profession has fraudulently reported 611,500 deaths and none of these “friend of a friend who is a nurse and is sickened by the fraud they see every day” has thought to report a single one to the authorities for medical fraud.

How do people believe this crap?

I haven't seen the 99.998% number used but wouldn't the. 002% be the percent of people in the US that have died and not the percentage of infected that died? 

333 million times .002 is 666,000 deaths which is relatively close to the actual number. 

Disclaimer: I'm not discounting those deaths.  I'm just pointing out how I think they came up with the 99.998 number.  Yes I know my numbers weren't exact.  It seems like simple math to me but I very likely missed something.  Yes that's still a lot of deaths