Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gotta say, the timing with a hurricane in Louisiana and Florida couldn't be better to help with COVID. Nothing burns calories quite like treading water.

Funny GIF

How many people are going to be more upset at the rise in the cost of lumber and OSB board again instead of the fallout of what's going to happen in these places over the course of the next 6 months or so?

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Gotta say, the timing with a hurricane in Louisiana and Florida couldn't be better to help with COVID. Nothing burns calories quite like treading water.

I’m just picturing dudes with mullets running towards their airboats with a tub of ivermectin in one arm and toilet paper in the other.

• Like 2

But on a more serious note, I do feel awful for those folks.  The timing is awful (not that there’s ever a good time for a hurricane).

Ii really wonder why people who have the ability to live elsewhere choose to live there.  I couldn’t imagine doing the whole “holy ish this storm might flatten our house” routine every summer/fall.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Malfatron said:

It’s just incredible

”just be healthy, comorbidities are the reason everyone is getting it bad”

> gets shown a guy in incredible health, who has an incurable comorbidity, who was wrecked by COVID

”See!? I told you it’s always comorbidities. Just be healthy.”

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

It’s just incredible

> gets shown a guy in incredible health, who has an incurable comorbidity, who was wrecked by COVID

It's only incredible if you think there's sincere interest in other people's health tbh.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

It’s just incredible

I remember a certain leader and country who argued and advocated for eugenics a while back...

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Fun fact, ADHD is a comorbidity for negative COVID outcomes.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/10870547211003659

Someone want to let me know which exercises I need to do to make my brain grow more dopamine transporters?

I realize this isn't your point at all and I'm open for returning to our scheduled programming making fun of Joe Rogan wannabes as soon as everyone gets their pre-workout in, but I have to ask if they controlled for increased interactions/viral load that you'd expect with untreated ADHD compared to the rest of the population which is going to be better equipped to adhere to social distancing requirements over long time periods.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I realize this isn't your point at all and I'm open for returning to our scheduled programming making fun of Joe Rogan wannabes as soon as everyone gets their pre-workout in, but I have to ask if they controlled for increased interactions/viral load that you'd expect with untreated ADHD compared to the rest of the population which is going to be better equipped to adhere to social distancing requirements over long time periods.

Hey man, I'm meming here. 

But yeah, a lot of it is the whole behavior patterns of ADHD, that are confounded by lack of treatment. In general, a lot of risk factors with ADHD are mitigated by treatment, but often not entirely. 

This study found that risk factors for contracting COVID were primarily in the untreated ADHD group, where the treated ADHD group was similar to the non-ADHD group. 

This one found that a recent (within the past year) diagnosis of ADHD (and other mental health diagnoses) were risk factors in contracting COVID. So while not "untreated," it's those who haven't have a large amount of treatment yet. Also of note — this is the exact group that would have been "getting healthy to help mitigate their risk of COVID" if they followed the advice. 

The study found that even a lifetime diagnosis of ADHD increased the likelihood of having COVID; lifetime diagnosis ADHD patients represented 1.7% of the study group, but had 2.7% of the COVID diagnoses. But yeah, again worse in the past year diagnosed group who were 0.2% of the study, but represented 1.5% of the COVID diagnoses. A person who is "going to get healthy to mitigate their risk of COVID" who would be seeking treatment for ADHD as part of that is still 5.82 times more likely to get COVID than the rest of the population.

And we also know that mental health disorders, even while treatment can mitigate it a bunch, are still at higher risk of death with infections even when receiving treatment and long term care

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022399916303725?via%3Dihub

But also, to be clear, even if this is entirely an untreated ADHD issue that fully goes away with treatment, a huge problem with writing this off as "just go be healthy," is that access to care for ADHD can be exceptionally hard for adults who weren't diagnosed in school. One of my big ADHD hyper focuses during COVID was learning more about ADHD, how different it is in adults vs children and how it affects me and how I can mitigate that. And one of the things I keep finding out is just how ADHD presents so differently whether you're hyperactive, inattentive, or combined, how different it looks in adults vs in children, and how different it looks in women. And because of these differences, and general misunderstanding and misapplying ADHD as primarily hyperactivity present in boys, the more you deviate from the hyperactivity, youth and gender preconceptions, the harder and harder it is to get a diagnosis and treatment. A woman in her 40's with primary inattentive ADHD is basically guaranteed to need to dedicate months and months to advocating for herself to even get a doctor to take her seriously and give care. And the whole dedicating yourself to a task thing? Kinda a problem with ADHD. And that's before getting into other factors that are barriers to care that scale the line of allowed topics on the forum. 

Hell, I had to fight with my insurance for 9 months for them to actually admit that my ADHD meds were necessary care, and I had a psychiatrist do a full assessment that showed conclusively that I had it, my PCP agree that I needed care, and a psych nurse practitioner working with me on dosage management. Even that wasn't good enough, because I was 30, and 30 year olds don't have ADHD according to my then insurance company.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ii really wonder why people who have the ability to live elsewhere choose to live there.  I couldn’t imagine doing the whole “holy ish this storm might flatten our house” routine every summer/fall.

As somebody who lives in a hurricane area and dealt with these things since Hurricane Alisha in 1985 - all I'll say is home is home. Sure, the storms worry you; This storm didn't even head in my direction, but I was charting it the minute it got into the Gulf, like I do pretty much any storm that gets into the Gulf.

We have an evacuation plan as well as a stay-at-home plan for storms, which is all you can really do in these instances - stay ready, stay diligent, be ready to hit the road, have your Homeowners Insurance information handy, let anyone outside of the area know you're okay...

But, yeah. Houston is home, I'm not going to let a big storm scare me. 

(Freezing weather, on the other hand...? Nope. I'm done).

• Like 2