Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Just now, MWil23 said:

Good news, my wife’s boss/the dean of pharmacy thinks the next variant is going to hit hard post Thanksgiving and be just as bad as last year that time. Not joking. She just told me.

Maybe. Probably.  And we'll still be told it’s just the flu, eat a celery stalk, do a push-up, guzzle horse meds, whatever.

Doing the obvious thing won’t ever be a thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe. Probably.  And we'll still be told it’s just the flu, eat a celery stalk, do a push-up, guzzle horse meds, whatever.

Doing the obvious thing won’t ever be a thing.

Thankfully I’m fine because I exercise 5+ days a week, 3-4 of them free weights.

• Like 3

The thing that really bothers me more than just the repeated waves of nuisance from people refusing to just do the right thing for the common good, and get vaccinated, wear masks, etc....is the cheerleading over the "corporate led" drive toward vaccination.  It's irritating that people are still refusing to take it seriously, make the extremely minor concessions required to stop the spread by getting vaccinated, wearing masks, accepting closures to businesses that represent a higher risk of transmission.  Prolonging and re-propagating the spread of the disease over and over again, far more than is in any way necessary.  Spawning new variants and continued spread.  Ultimately drawing this thing out far more than it needs to be...

It just bugs the heck out of me, that what should be a public health concern managed by public health authorities, is being managed by private corporations for profit.  That rather than being a drive toward vaccination for the greater common good...it's quickly turning into a drive for vaccination, because it is more profitable for companies to mandate it.

I get why it's going in that direction.  If the public sector isn't willing to do what is necessary, for political expediency...i guess the private sector has to step in and protect itself instead.  It's just a scary as all heck trend for me, to see the idea of public health being treated as within the sphere of Profit.  Seeing the way vaccine rollout has been handled worldwide, and the way denial of vaccine to the developing world has fueled an inferno of more virulent iterations of the virus that have come right back to haunt us...is so frustrating to see.

It's where i'm so beyond done with the anti-vaxer, anti-masker, covid-denier, open everything up no matter what "to save the economy" crowd that have contributed to prolonging this pandemic.  But at the same time, a lot of the anti-vax sentiment is somehow accidentally almost back asswards tapdancing around a really salient point, about how unnervingly prominent a role "profit" for the wealthiest have played a role in dictating the flow of this pandemic and the global responses. 

The whole thing is just so incredibly stupid.  Top to bottom.  It's exposing so many failures in society.  From education, critical thinking, and scientific literacy.  To global capital concerns dictating public health policy for profit, over public health officials.  To how pandemic "stimmy" has underlined just how precarious "The Economy" really is, that it can potentially be toppled by...poor people actually having a bit of money to spend, and actually spending it.  To the whole false dichotomy Team Red vs Team Blue paradigm sweeping through societal discourse.

Meanwhile...idk if anyone is even really noticing that the world is on fire.  I guess we're all busy...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It just bugs the heck out of me, that what should be a public health concern managed by public health authorities, is being managed by private corporations for profit.  That rather than being a drive toward vaccination for the greater common good...it's quickly turning into a drive for vaccination, because it is more profitable for companies to mandate it.

I get why it's going in that direction.  If the public sector isn't willing to do what is necessary, for political expediency...i guess the private sector has to step in and protect itself instead.  It's just a scary as all heck trend for me, to see the idea of public health being treated as within the sphere of Profit.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re Canadian, right?

Because here in America corporations and profit is how our healthcare system has been led and run for decades. Forever really.

And the same people here who don’t want corporations telling them what to do also don’t want public health officials telling them what to do.  They just want to do whatever they want to do regardless as to how it impacts others or society in general.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/9/21-1042_article

A study of 72 individuals who caught COVID found that only 46 of them developed antibodies.

Get your shot. 

In contrast, 26 participants remained seronegative, despite the testing of up to 3 samples per person for IgA, IgM, and IgG against multiple antigens as well as neutralizing antibodies. Thus, 36% of our cohort represented serologic nonresponders.

They really looked too. Oof.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They really looked too. Oof.

I was really hoping when I got the notification that you quoted me that you were going to point out some testing that they missed that could explain where the antibody response could have been missed. Getting the opposite doesn’t feel great. 

Hopefully the small sample size will mean when done with a larger group, the percentage is much smaller. Because 36% is horrifyingly high.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pwny said:

I was really hoping when I got the notification that you quoted me that you were going to point out some testing that they missed that could explain where the antibody response could have been missed. Getting the opposite doesn’t feel great. 

I was too. ELISAs are finnicky and I'd still want to see more people tested because it's entirely possible that they did something wrong, but nothing jumped out as an obvious shortcut. 

If the 36% number is real, that has serious public health implications. I would want to see how that changes forecasting.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The thing that really bothers me more than just the repeated waves of nuisance from people refusing to just do the right thing for the common good, and get vaccinated, wear masks, etc....is the cheerleading over the "corporate led" drive toward vaccination.  It's irritating that people are still refusing to take it seriously, make the extremely minor concessions required to stop the spread by getting vaccinated, wearing masks, accepting closures to businesses that represent a higher risk of transmission.  Prolonging and re-propagating the spread of the disease over and over again, far more than is in any way necessary.  Spawning new variants and continued spread.  Ultimately drawing this thing out far more than it needs to be...

I get why it's going in that direction.  If the public sector isn't willing to do what is necessary, for political expediency...i guess the private sector has to step in and protect itself instead.  It's just a scary as all heck trend for me, to see the idea of public health being treated as within the sphere of Profit.  Seeing the way vaccine rollout has been handled worldwide, and the way denial of vaccine to the developing world has fueled an inferno of more virulent iterations of the virus that have come right back to haunt us...is so frustrating to see.

As much as I would like a national vaccine mandate, I don’t know if it will hold up since there’s no legal precedence for it. There is precedence for state/local governments to mandate it though. Obviously the private sector can.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I was too. ELISAs are finnicky and I'd still want to see more people tested because it's entirely possible that they did something wrong, but nothing jumped out as an obvious shortcut. 

If the 36% number is real, that has serious public health implications. I would want to see how that changes forecasting.

Speaking of which Rams, did you see this study yet?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.24.21262415v1

Edited by Xenos