Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

53 minutes ago, JonStark said:

People are going to see he took Ivermectin (which I'm still reserving judgement on until the bigger trials are completed)

You don't have to. This is a short putt.

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-statement-on-ivermectin-use-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, today affirmed its position regarding use of ivermectin during the COVID-19 pandemic. Company scientists continue to carefully examine the findings of all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 for evidence of efficacy and safety. It is important to note that, to-date, our analysis has identified:

• No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies; 
  • No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and; 
  • A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.

We do not believe that the data available support the safety and efficacy of ivermectin beyond the doses and populations indicated in the regulatory agency-approved prescribing information.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's disappointing when celebs are so thoughtless and use their platform to promote antics that will ultimately harm/kill others who view them as a trustworthy source but don't have the same resources available to them - both externally and internally.

Some people really are incapable of thinking beyond themselves unfortunately.

Look at the damage Jenny McCarthy did...

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I guess I agree. It'd be more accurate to say they're using an anti-parasitic as an anti-viral. Drugs aren't for horses or people, they're for indications. Though I would hope patients who use ivermectin on label would understand they aren't the butt of the joke.

That said, are we really going to begrudge the media for taking a pot shot at these idiots? I don't know about you all, but i could use a laugh and it's funny.

The Original Series Yes GIF by Star Trek

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I’m fully vaccinated for 6 weeks. I’m not comfortable travelling because I live a very risk adverse lifestyle since the onset of the pandemic. I have health issues that offer increased risk should I get a breakthrough case. I’ve been wearing a mask since the first reported case in North America. Prior to retirement I worked in a national pandemic planning team so learned a wee bit about pandemics, mutations, waves etc. My mother was a medical anthropologist and my sister is a clinical research scientist. All that said I don’t claim to be knowledgeable abou the specific science but I do believe I have an understanding of where this disease will go 

Ive also been on record with disagreeing with the decision to open the Canadian border so to cross the border I don’t believe should be open doesn’t wash. My city has a vaccination rate of 86% 12+ one dose and 79% both. I don’t think it’s responsible for me to travel to an area with far higher case counts and lower vaccination rates. The hazards are identifiable and being vaccinated along with other measures mitigates a great deal of the risk. None the less with numerous variants of concern the chance of a vaccine defeating variant increases.

One final note. I carry two million dollars in travel insurance with a major carrier. 11 years ago I had the misfortune of getting food poisoning in Las Vegas. It required about 3.5 hours in the emergency room. My bill was $2600.00. Our carrier was on the phone with the hospital agreeing to payment. However I had to pay the bill, which wasn’t a problem and my money would be refunded when my insurance company paid the bill. The hospital has reasons for that process but in any event if I were to fall ill, have a misadventure or something I’m not sure how I would cover a massive hospital bill.

Sorry for the long response.

Ah, I didn't know you were Canadian. I missed that. I work w/ law firms and have Canadian clients and they would always note how upset they were w/ the government and how they handled the vaccines but were extremely relieved when they became available even though it was so much later than the US.

No need to apologize for the lengthy response. I was genuine in my inquiry and everything you said is completely valid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, if you’re vaccinated, shouldn’t worry too much. I’m traveling to Maui end of the month. We will still mask and sanitize for extra protection against breakthrough cases but being fully vaccinated, you should be ok and not to worried when traveling. Can’t fear the virus forever basically, never going away, hope some have accepted that notion. 

I’ll be fully vaxxed 4 days before my trip and my girlfriend like 1 day before (two weeks after second dose). Cutting it close, but the way I see it is our antibodies will basically be higher than anyone else vaccinated since they do wane over time. 

Yeah I was fully vaxed before my first trip to Florida back in May and made sure of it. I don't trust people, generally, so getting in an enclosed tube w/ a bunch of strangers wasn't ideal unless I was vaxed lol. Canada didn't have our luxuries until recently so I totally get it from their perspective especially if traveling out of the country.

• Like 1

So I got some interesting news for y'all making fun of people using Invermectin that I just found out about.

My old sales manager (and CEO of the company prior to the merger)  is a Type 1 diabetic and got Covid very, very badly about 6-7 months ago. His oxygen levels were close to death according to him. After symptoms didn't seem to be getting better after a week, he started consulting other doctors and one suggested Invermectin. After my guy started inquiring about it, he opted to not take it and consult another doctor. New Dr says the same thing although he's reserved about it so my guy says "screw it" and takes it. Said w/in 2 days, he had seen the biggest turnaround ever kicked it completely only 4 days after.

I know it's anecdotal but something to think about when we're making fun of "PaTRioTs" for wanting to take it and he's as far on the opposite side of that spectrum as you can get.

It was a good conversation we just had.......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TLO said:

I’d argue that’s not a problem and anybody ingesting the horse medicine form deserves what they get tbh

I agree with this mentality, but the people (and media) who are saying don't take this drug are still trying to save people's lives who they may not agree with, and that's the larger point here. You see how many people are going to livestock stores and buying products for animals with Ivermectin in it and then having unintended side effects because they're really stupid, so the natural response from people with an ounce of empathy left (personally, I'm all out of empathy for these people) is to advise NOT TO TAKE THAT.

If you're smart enough already, you don't need that warning, but Rebar Ron who googled "Ivermectin near me" and went to the local pet supply store isn't smart enough and needs to hear this.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

The sad parts about Rogans account of his experience are that 

1. Unless you are on his or Trump's level, you probably can't afford monoclonal antibody treatment 
2. The effectiveness of that treatment is going to mask the un-effectiveness of the rest of the "kitchen sink" he threw at it. 

People are going to see he took Ivermectin (which I'm still reserving judgement on until the bigger trials are completed) and think that they will be fine if they just take that. "Oh, I don't have to take preventative measures against Covid because if I get it, I can take a bunch of random (unapproved) drugs and be just fine" is such a horrible way of thinking during this pandemic and I would have hoped we would've moved past that by now. 

It's so damn infuriating that people like Rogan have more credibility, despite CONSTANTLY BEING WRONG, than actual scientific researchers and the scientific community. And then people like Rogan get COVID and use their wealth to receive treatment hardly anyone else can afford and then disingenuously come back and claim it was nothing.

I still remember when a certain someone got COVID, almost died, but received the most technologically advanced treatments known to man and then came back and claimed it was nothing before jumping to the very front of the line to get vaccinated last January in secret. I believe that single event is what set off this whole damn thing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So I got some interesting news for y'all making fun of people using Invermectin that I just found out about.

My old sales manager (and CEO of the company prior to the merger)  is a Type 1 diabetic and got Covid very, very badly about 6-7 months ago. His oxygen levels were close to death according to him. After symptoms didn't seem to be getting better after a week, he started consulting other doctors and one suggested Invermectin. After my guy started inquiring about it, he opted to not take it and consult another doctor. New Dr says the same thing although he's reserved about it so my guy says "screw it" and takes it. Said w/in 2 days, he had seen the biggest turnaround ever kicked it completely only 4 days after.

I know it's anecdotal but something to think about when we're making fun of "PaTRioTs" for wanting to take it and he's as far on the opposite side of that spectrum as you can get.

If he took a prescribed version of it that was properly dosed by an actual medical doctor, then nobody here is going to complain.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've definitely never dismissed it as a possible solution once you get the virus (when used correctly), but I'll absolutely dismiss anyone who uses it as a reason not to get the vaccine. It doesn't have to be one or the other like most people are making it out to be. 

I want as many solutions so as we can get that we can finally move on from this thing. I don't care about being right or getting to say I told you so to the anti-vaxxers as much as I want us to be able to get back to normal, and if Ivermectin or another drug gets them to actually do their part, then I'm all for it. 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If he took a prescribed version of it that was properly dosed by an actual medical doctor, then nobody here is going to complain.

As they shouldn't. The perception of the drug is now being used to mock a certain group of people though which is corny. If it helps, it helps and that's all that should matter. I can promise you w/ all the misinformation going around about it now that some would completely denounce the benefits that exist and refuse to take it.

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

As they shouldn't. The perception of the drug is now being used to mock a certain group of people though which is corny. If it helps, it helps and that's all that should matter. I can promise you w/ all the misinformation going around about it now that some would completely denounce the benefits that exist and refuse to take it.

I would refer you to my post above - the mocking of Ivermectin as a COVID treatment is because:

1. It is not recommended by the scientific community as a COVID treatment
  2. People are primarily taking the version of Ivermectin designed for animals because they're really, really stupid

If you are going to a doctor asking for Ivermectin and they can properly prescribe, dose and give you Ivermectin to treat COVID (assuming they actually agree to that), then more power to you.

But also, as @JonStarksaid, you should be getting vaccinated vs. relying on an unproven treatment to deal with COVID after you get it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree with this 100% - if you're going to a doctor and this is the course of action they recommend, then have at it. The doctor has the required knowledge to make such a judgement call (and they know the difference between human pill, horse paste and sheep juice... y'know, that's a big one).

People trying to circumvent medicine by buying something with no real understanding on what they're buying or what they're administering? They deserve whatever comes at them, IMO.

TL;DR version - listen to your doctor for Pete's sake.

• Like 4