Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

So is anyone surprised that Florida is doing this?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253796898.html

As cases ballooned in August, however, the Florida Department of Health changed the way it reported death data to the CDC, giving the appearance of a pandemic in decline, an analysis of Florida data by the Miami Herald and el Nuevo Herald found. 

On Monday, Florida death data would have shown an average of 262 daily deaths reported to the CDC over the previous week had the health department used its former reporting system, the Herald analysis showed. Instead, the Monday update from Florida showed just 46 “new deaths” per day over the previous seven days.

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

So this leads me to ask, are hospitalized vaccinated people tested for vaccination or do they just take the patients word?

You can't test if someone was vaccinated, only whether or not they have antibodies. It's possible that someone intended to receive the shot, but it didn't work for a variety of reasons (maybe the lot was bad, or maybe the person's immune system was overwhelmed with something else, etc.).

But someone doing this on Instagram doesn't think they're going to get caught. She'll sing.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I hope she receives the maximum statutory penalty allowed on every.single.count

whatever that is

Thankfully she'll have plenty of time to workout in jail, so she'll basically be immune to COVID.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. This paragraph in the study you posted is relevant here:

We'll need to go through all of these to figure out why we aren't seeing consistency. False positives are build into ELISAs structurally, so it's not going to be perfect, but a range from 0-85% doesn't help us at all.

Is it possible? Maybe. I have no reason to anticipate it. The only thing we're changing is the exposure to the thing that generates the antibodies, once we have the blueprint, it's all the same machinery mass producing everything. (The half-life of antibodies can vary slightly depending on their size, but they are all mostly the same size. But maybe if the antibodies clump together following one method, but not following the other that could become relevant? I'm skeptical.)

My take is that before we'd want to really investigate whether something physiologically is going on, we'd want to make sure the data we've got are air tight.

I believe that study is out of Israel, correct? From what I've read- many experts have taken issue with their data lately. I'd take it with a grain of salt, but would be happy if previous infection caused strong, long lasting immunity. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

So this leads me to ask, are hospitalized vaccinated people tested for vaccination or do they just take the patients word?

Like @ramssuperbowl99 said, you can’t test, but your insurer will likely know. 

If you’re using a fake card and you’re in the hospital for a covid related issue, I’d imagine before long insurers will give you the freedom to pay a larger portion of your tab.

Hopefully they start verifying the validity of these cards in such situations.

• Like 1

The World Health Organization said Tuesday it was monitoring a new coronavirus “variant of interest” called Mu or B.1.621. The variant was first detected in Colombia and has since been found in South America and Europe, but further studies are needed. Mu is one of five variants of interest being monitored, the WHO said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/01/covid-delta-variant-live-updates/#link-GBIA35XQZFE5JFJP34WSUG2J3I

Free:

Opinion: Yes, you can get some immunity from having covid-19. But no one should wait to get vaccinated.

Studies have compared whether infection or vaccination confers stronger immunity. Some research suggests that vaccination provides more durable and more consistent protection than recovery. Others reach a different conclusion; a new study from Israel, not yet peer-reviewed, found there was a lower risk of infection with the delta variant among those with immunity from recovery compared with vaccination.   Now that we have safe and effective vaccines against the coronavirus, choosing infection over vaccination runs counter to every principle of public health — and common sense. Even if infection yielded the same or better protection than the vaccine, it makes no sense to risk severe illness and death — not to mention spreading the virus to others. Moreover, it’s increasingly clear that those who recovered from covid-19 are better protected if they also get vaccinated. Numerous studies have found that vaccination after infection stimulates a substantial antibody response that’s more robust than either recovery or vaccination alone. A report published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concluded that such vaccinated people have half the risk of reinfection compared with previously infected people who remained unvaccinated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/08/31/covid-19-recovery-vaccination-natural-immunity/

• Like 1

• The authors of a study based on an enormous randomized research project in Bangladesh say their results offer the best evidence yet that widespread wearing of surgical masks can limit the spread of the coronavirus.
  • A new study found that people who get covid-19 are more likely to develop kidney damage, and that even less serious infections were associated with a higher need for dialysis or transplant.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Xenos said:

So is anyone surprised that Florida is doing this?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253796898.html

I mean to be fair the CDC have already been improperly recording Florida's data. They overestimated their cases by ~15,000 in one week, and immediately had to retract it. Even after retraction the data still didn't even come close to matching.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/again-shoppers-panic-buying-toilet-225853835.html

It's not going to be wearing masks.

It's not going to be the quarantines.

It's not going to be the fighting with people about partisan politics.

...it's going to be the lack of toilet paper/hoarding of toilet paper that officially makes me snap and lose it.

Didn't we already do this?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/again-shoppers-panic-buying-toilet-225853835.html

It's not going to be wearing masks.

It's not going to be the quarantines.

It's not going to be the fighting with people about partisan politics.

...it's going to be the lack of toilet paper/hoarding of toilet paper that officially makes me snap and lose it.

Gotta get a bidet, buddy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I mean to be fair the CDC have already been improperly recording Florida's data. They overestimated their cases by ~15,000 in one week, and immediately had to retract it. Even after retraction the data still didn't even come close to matching.

Are you talking about this? Seems like a simple math mistake (3 days vs 2) by the CDC versus what Florida is deliberately doing now. It also seems part of the problem is Florida reporting it weekly instead of daily.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.palmbeachpost.com/amp/5558411001

Instead of criticizing the CDC, state health officials should re-activate its online COVID-19 dashboard, local doctors and elected officials said.

Florida is one of a handful of states in the nation that updates its numbers only weekly. Most states issue reports at least on weekdays.

Edited by Xenos

by the way, can anyone explain this thing I keep hearing about Latinos and African Americans being the lowest vaccinated demographics? A simple look at the CDC Dashboard tells us that that's not even close to being true...

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

I'm just curious where people are getting this from?

37 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

by the way, can anyone explain this thing I keep hearing about Latinos and African Americans being the lowest vaccinated demographics? A simple look at the CDC Dashboard tells us that that's not even close to being true...

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccination-demographic

I'm just curious where people are getting this from?

I’ve only looked in California but last time I checked the government website, Asians were at around 74-77% fully vaxxed, white people around 63-67% fully vaxxed, and African Americans and Hispanics at 36-39%. 

Small sample size from real life encounters also is consistent with that data. I mostly work with a high Asian and Hispanic Demographic. Feel almost every Asian there is vaccinated and every Hispanic is not.