Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Soon, very soon.
Just remember to give people 3 weeks post-injection to make some high-performance antibodies
4th of July in Ohio should be a spectacular celebration, good luck and enjoy it to the fullest *

Since I’m a teacher, I’m more or less dreading another year of coaching and teaching with a mask on 8 hours a day and 5-6 days a week. The K-12 protocols are going to be very interesting.

More football. Wearing a mask and not being allowed to serve our kids water in triple digits last year terrified me.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

* I just heard Ohio is retracting the underwear mandate at the same time

fireworks-along-the-ohio-river-in-cincin

giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Where did I say I would be upset for having to show vaccine proof? I’m saying that literally I have been vaccinated and shouldn’t have to wear a mask past June 1 because at that point everyone will have had the opportunity to have been vaccinated, and if they choose not to, that’s their fault and off my conscience. They’ve thumbed their nose for the last 14 months. I’ll return serve after June 1.

What happens if in your scenario the amount of people that choose to not get vaccinated is greater than the people that do? My aunt for example had Covid and is fully vaccinated, and is now positive again. Luckily she’s recovering well.

3 minutes ago, Xenos said:

What happens if in your scenario the amount of people that choose to not get vaccinated is greater than the people that do?

Then the fallout is on them, period. If people choose to be willfully ignorant, barring extenuating circumstances with vaccine rollout, that’s 💯 on them as individuals, especially with how little this is impacting minors.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The K-12 protocols are going to be very interesting.

I'm seeing vaccine approvals for 12-16 year olds by June and the 5-11 yr olds trials are a bit behind that
Then comes 2-5 and infants
Fall semester should be full vax for college and HS kids. The 5-11s are gonna be close, they're enrolled now and everybody is pushing hard to beat August school deadline. Cross your fingers that approval and availability come through

Are all of your K-12s on same campus ?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Then the fallout is on them, period. If people choose to be willfully ignorant, barring extenuating circumstances with vaccine rollout, that’s 💯 on them as individuals, especially with how little this is impacting minors.

And I hope their poor decision continues to not impact minors, or anyone else for that manner. But selfishly I also worry about my family and friends even with full vaccinations. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xenos said:

And I hope their poor decision continues to not impact minors, or anyone else for that manner. But selfishly I also worry about my family and friends even with full vaccinations. 

I totally understand that man. And I don’t fault you for that one bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I totally understand that man. And I don’t fault you for that one bit. 

Thanks. I’m just hoping and praying that you’re right and that we can safely all go back to normal by June. No more masks, no more Covid suffering and deaths.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

People didn't think wearing masks for a disease they weren't already vaccinated for was reasonable. They aren't going to comply with a law intended to prevent the spread of a disease they're immune to.

Agreed. What you're going to see are more people jump on the "no more masks mandates!" rather than people being on board with mask mandates, and many governors are going to follow what the majority wants because going against the grain could be career suicide. It won't be a political battle where one side is for it and one side is against it. It's going to be a majority are against them.

There's an element of human behavior here, and a majority of the population are not scientists or doctors or anyone who has worked on a COVID ICU. They're average people who aren't going to think about variants and the such until they become an issue.

People are fatigued. Vaccines are their way back to normalcy. That's what they've been told, so many people are going to become way more lax once vaccinated. And once everyone has had enough time to be vaccinated- you're going to see resentment rise if regulations are still in place to protect those who are anti-vaxx. Many of those anti-vaxxers have been way more lax during this pandemic than the rest of us (or at least that's the perspective), so there's another source of resentment- protecting people who did little to protect the rest of the community.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but it seems to be the logical way things are going to progress. Of course- if cases start to surge again and vaccines aren't nearly as effective anymore, then you'll likely see people hunker down, but if cases are curb stomped, hospitals aren't overrun, etc...then a majority of the general population are not going to adhere to mask mandates unless they're strictly enforced which, let's be honest- will likely not be the case. 

And believe me, I know masks are the easiest thing in the world we have to curb stomp this bastard. I've been on board with them since day one. But many people view masks as a constant reminder that things are not normal. They crave interacting with people without masks. They want that 2019 normal again and, frankly, who can blame them?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Xenos said:

Thanks. I’m just hoping and praying that you’re right and that we can safely all go back to normal by June. No more masks, no more Covid suffering and deaths.

Wize summed up a lot of my feelings here, so I'm going to splice his words per my own philosophy before I expound on them:

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

What you're going to see are more people jump on the "no more masks mandates!" rather than people being on board with mask mandates

It's a natural human reaction. You can't have it both ways. You can't, for over a year, champion a vaccine to end this, followed by billions of dollars in advertising (See below), and then alter the "rules" again, because human nature won't stand for it (for right or for wrong).

https://adage.com/creativity/work/googles-covid-19-vaccine-ad-says-farewell-virtual-lockdown-and-more/2326366

and many governors are going to follow what the majority wants because going against the grain could be career suicide. It won't be a political battle where one side is for it and one side is against it. It's going to be a majority are against them.

Not just career suicide, but also it will be completely unenforceable and they'll absolutely lose in a court of law. The fact that many have been able to use Cold War legislation to justify "under attack" vague terminology for a pandemic is already barely viable from a sheer social science precedent standpoint (just speaking from the nature of the facts as a social studies guy here, nothing more, so please no one read into this as it's not my intent), and to then double down on all of these mandates that further cripple businesses and personal freedoms will be unsustainable. They've at least had enough support from various segments of the population up until this point, and if they were to double down, they'll be hearing it from people like me and a vast majority of the percentage of others who have been vaccinated, to go with the already vocal minority of those who are anti mandates in the first place. 

People are fatigued. Vaccines are their way back to normalcy. That's what they've been told, so many people are going to become way more lax once vaccinated.

And at this point, people will cease to believe anyone who reverses course. They've/We've "played by the rules" for over a year, to the detriment of our own mental health, education for our children, losing out on opportunities for various entertainment and vacations...the list goes on. During this time, it's totally justifiable and understandable, but past this point, people will become more lax because it's the "End Game".

And once everyone has had enough time to be vaccinated- you're going to see resentment rise if regulations are still in place to protect those who are anti-vaxx.

100% here is where I am. Why should they be protected when they've thumbed their nose for the last 14-16 months by this time? It's fundamentally unfair.

Many of those anti-vaxxers have been way more lax during this pandemic than the rest of us (or at least that's the perspective), so there's another source of resentment- protecting people who did little to protect the rest of the community.

YES

But many people view masks as a constant reminder that things are not normal. They crave interacting with people without masks. They want that 2019 normal again and, frankly, who can blame them?

BINGO.

Throw in from a sociological perspective that 90% of all communication is non-verbal, people are less prone to conversing, being seen as approachable, etc., and you have another sociology type fallout and various other laws of unintended consequences from psychological and sociological perspectives as well. It's human nature.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I'm seeing vaccine approvals for 12-16 year olds by June and the 5-11 yr olds trials are a bit behind that
Then comes 2-5 and infants
Fall semester should be full vax for college and HS kids. The 5-11s are gonna be close, they're enrolled now and everybody is pushing hard to beat August school deadline. Cross your fingers that approval and availability come through

Are all of your K-12s on same campus ?

We have an 18 month old. As of right now, his pediatrician has told us it's okay for vaccinated people to hold him without a mask but those who are unvaccinated should wear a mask.

My wife is worried about the UK variant spreading around since she read an article that it impacts kids more in both infections and severity, but she'll admit she hasn't seen any true data that supports that notion as she hasn't researched it too heavily. It's going to be interesting to see what the recommendations are for kids under two by July. 

The good news is- requiring my brother and his wife to wear a mask while they hold the little guy may give them incentive to get vaccinated soon. They're currently waiting until the summer because theyre afraid of long term effects popping up. He wife is obese and almost 40, and I'm trying to figure out a nice way of telling him that she is at an increased risk for severe symptoms due to her weight. Tbh, a strong majority of the people on our COVID ICU that weren't frail and elderly were obese.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

He wife is obese and almost 40, and I'm trying to figure out a nice way of telling him that she is at an increased risk for severe symptoms due to her weight.

897a4891c2f9ca7bf6e69f70b767cb1f.gif

4 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Tbh, a strong majority of the people on our COVID ICU that weren't frail and elderly were obese.  

According to the CDC, that number is over 80% of deaths outside of the elderly. That's really scary, given our obesity rate as a country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Wize summed up a lot of my feelings here, so I'm going to splice his words per my own philosophy before I expound on them:

It's a natural human reaction. You can't have it both ways. You can't, for over a year, champion a vaccine to end this, followed by billions of dollars in advertising (See below), and then alter the "rules" again, because human nature won't stand for it (for right or for wrong).

https://adage.com/creativity/work/googles-covid-19-vaccine-ad-says-farewell-virtual-lockdown-and-more/2326366

Not just career suicide, but also it will be completely unenforceable and they'll absolutely lose in a court of law. The fact that many have been able to use Cold War legislation to justify "under attack" vague terminology for a pandemic is already barely viable from a sheer social science precedent standpoint (just speaking from the nature of the facts as a social studies guy here, nothing more, so please no one read into this as it's not my intent), and to then double down on all of these mandates that further cripple businesses and personal freedoms will be unsustainable. They've at least had enough support from various segments of the population up until this point, and if they were to double down, they'll be hearing it from people like me and a vast majority of the percentage of others who have been vaccinated, to go with the already vocal minority of those who are anti mandates in the first place. 

And at this point, people will cease to believe anyone who reverses course. They've/We've "played by the rules" for over a year, to the detriment of our own mental health, education for our children, losing out on opportunities for various entertainment and vacations...the list goes on. During this time, it's totally justifiable and understandable, but past this point, people will become more lax because it's the "End Game".

100% here is where I am. Why should they be protected when they've thumbed their nose for the last 14-16 months by this time? It's fundamentally unfair.

YES

BINGO.

Throw in from a sociological perspective that 90% of all communication is non-verbal, people are less prone to conversing, being seen as approachable, etc., and you have another sociology type fallout and various other laws of unintended consequences from psychological and sociological perspectives as well. It's human nature.

Thanks brother! You have persuaded me. Who said you can’t win an online argument 😁

Edited by Xenos

22 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Thanks brother! You have persuaded me. Who said you can’t win an online argument 😁

:) 

I always enjoy dialoging, whether people agree with me or not (reciprocal), and healthy dialogue helps a lot of things. I'm not an expert by any means, and I admittedly have a different perspective than many due to my career as a teacher/coach, and I found out about 10 days ago that I had another former student (19) decide to take his own life. That makes 3 students or former students in the adolescent range in under 11 months.

How do we weigh human life and how do we start looking at the law of unintended consequences during this awful period of the last 13+ months? I don't have all the answers, but I think that we are definitely approaching that mark. We are failing our adolescents and need to reflect and learn as a society.

JMHO

• Like 2