Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/30/fda-advisory-panel-narrowly-endorses-mercks-oral-covid-treatment-pill-despite-reduced-efficacy.html

“Several committee members recommended that Merck’s emergency use authorization be revisited and potentially withdrawn if another treatment becomes available later.

Well it’ll have to do for now but once Pfizer gets theirs out it’s over. Pfizer and Drug Administration.

41 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

COVID is going to (officially) kill a million Americans.

That's so disheartening to read

Some context:

Just a shade over 400,000 US Soldiers died in WWII, the deadliest war in our country's history

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/30/fda-advisory-panel-narrowly-endorses-mercks-oral-covid-treatment-pill-despite-reduced-efficacy.html

“Several committee members recommended that Merck’s emergency use authorization be revisited and potentially withdrawn if another treatment becomes available later.

Well it’ll have to do for now but once Pfizer gets theirs out it’s over. Pfizer and Drug Administration.

Depending on the data, have you thought that maybe Pfizer has just done a better job so far than Merck? Sad conspiracy theories bud. Pfizer must have had to get people off their scent by having Moderna do better on the vaccine.

• Like 1

If I was the FDA, I would not approve this for anything but the absolute emergency. This part scares me.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/30/fda-panel-narrowly-recommends-authorization-of-merck-covid-pill-after-day-of-tense-discussion/

The expert panel voted 13-10 that the pill, called molnupiravir, should be authorized, although members expressed concerns that, if used in pregnancy it could cause birth defects. 

On 11/26/2021 at 5:51 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

We’re living in it. I don’t know why the trials had the results that they did. But 90% would make break through cases a rare occurrence. And they’re happening all the time. Even by the theory that enough people aren’t vaccinated. Israel is heavily vaccinated and shouldn’t still be having the problems they are. Why is this even controversial? Everyone should want a vaccine that’s as effective as possible.

The thing is, you can just do the math on breakthrough cases and unvaccinated cases and figure out what the real world efficacy is.  Its not complicated or a matter of opinion.  And so we know the mRNA vaccines were 90%+ effective against COVID illness/transmission and almost 100% effective against severe disease when the original and Alpha strains were dominant last winter and spring.  That's not an opinion, its just math, and it matches the clinical trials. 

We are seeing more breakthrough cases now because of two things: Delta and waning immunity.  Neither of those at all invalidate the clinical trial results.  Both are easily addressed by a booster dose, which is currently providing well over 90% protection against illness and death including from Delta.  

Omicron is a new challenge, we'll see what we find out over the next couple of weeks.  But the more people who are vaccinated and then boosted if necessary, the less cases we will have and the less the virus will mutate.  More vaccines in arms -> less COVID cases -> less need for additional vaccines in the future.  Its not complicated.  

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 1:54 PM, Xenos said:
On 11/29/2021 at 11:52 AM, TVScout said:

That’s good to hear. I wonder how many of her patients were vaccinated versus unvaccinated. 

I'd love for this to be true.  But I believe the outbreak started on a college campus or something, so you'd expect these people to generally have mild symptoms anyway.  Probably can't read too much into it.  Lots of contradictory stuff out there too. 

If we get a couple weeks out and cases in South Africa keep spiking, and they are still mostly mild, that would be great news.

The vaccine thing you posted is great to hear.  Israel's never been wrong about this stuff before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Pretty wild

I still think there will be a winter surge in NYC and the northeast US but tomorrow is December 1 and we're still doing ok

I would expect the death surge to lag thanksgiving (and christmas) by 3-4 weeks.

14 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

That's so disheartening to read

Some context:

Just a shade over 400,000 US Soldiers died in WWII, the deadliest war in our country's history

It's equal parts mind-boggling and sad. We've lost more people to COVID than to HIV/AIDS, and the gap is going to widen dramatically.