Aaron Jones Signs 4 year, $48M extension

CWood21

Just now, Kampfgeist said:

Or our offense that leads the league in fewest turnovers throws an interception and fumbles the game away or our offense that leads the league in redzone TD % comes away with a couple field goals in 1st and goal possessions.   Imagine if that ever happened in an NFC Championship Game

You're making my point for me. Playoff caliber defenses matter. It's not a new concept

Aaron Jones was (arguably) a top 5 player at his position last year. Sometimes there are exception to the rules, and call me bias, but I think bringing him back should be viewed as an exception to the "don't pay running backs top money" rule. Dalvin got paid and was huge for the Vikes last year. Kamara got paid and was huge for the Saints. Henry got paid and put up MVP like numbers last year. You had 5 players that were top 5 at their positions last year on offense, and next year you bring back 4 of those players, for what seems to be a pretty good deal. Don't you want as many explosive weapons as possible? Jones was like the 3rd best free agent available, maybe even higher than that. People should use a little more common sense when judging each move, not just assume they are all the exact same. Leveon was a cancer to that Pitt locker room. Gurley wasn't splitting carries with anyone and was clearly injured that super bowl season. Each situation is different. 

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You're making my point for me. Playoff caliber defenses matter. It's not a new concept

As do fluke plays that run counter to an entire season's worth of statistics

One can just as easily point out the Bucs' offense made plays that only prove Playoff caliber offenses matter

20 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

He left a lot of money on the table and the Packers get to keep a big play player at a low risk price. Win-Win. It's all about the guaranteed money and no doubt AJ could have got a lot more on the open market. Stop whining about the overall numbers, they mean nothing. This doesn't prevent the Packers from doing anything.

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He might have been able to squeeze a bit more guarantees out of a team like Miami, but I don't think he was getting much more than $12M/year on the open makret.

Jonnu Smith, a fargin' TE, just got 4 years, $50 million with $31.25 fully guaranteed. Still think Jones "might" been able to squeeze out more guaranteed money out of someone? Jones left a ton on the table to make it work with the Pack.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

As do fluke plays that run counter to an entire season's worth of statistics

One can just as easily point out the Bucs' offense made plays that only prove Playoff caliber offenses matter

Ahh yes. Brady was outplayed by Rodgers and still put up 30+. Tampa had the better defense and won. Plain and simple

27 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Jonnu Smith, a fargin' TE, just got 4 years, $50 million with $31.25 fully guaranteed. Still think Jones "might" been able to squeeze out more guaranteed money out of someone? Jones left a ton on the table to make it work with the Pack.

I don't believe anyone argued that he didn't leave money on the table

1 hour ago, Norse65 said:

Underestimated is the locker room impact of moves like this.  These guys all actually get along and losing both Jones and Williams would have been a real blow.  I have seen myself the impact of unpopular moves on championship teams. Losing great team players for the new hot guy who turned out to be a bust and a pain.  Tight teams win more.  

I understand that this will not weigh heavily in a GMs required hardheaded approach to contracts , but it is a factor and will be weighed into the equation.  

I agree that this years contracts and structures are going to look wild because of the anticipated cap rise two years from now. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain or to the third and fourth year of presently signed contracts. 

This is a good comment and i think that it weighs heavily in GB. They are a close community without the night life and all that crap. Players, locker room and character matter greatly to the entire FO in GB. By all accounts AJ is a really good kid and teammate. Yes we do bring in those players who can be outside of this but it's not often. 

35 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

Aaron Jones was (arguably) a top 5 player at his position last year. Sometimes there are exception to the rules, and call me bias, but I think bringing him back should be viewed as an exception to the "don't pay running backs top money" rule. Dalvin got paid and was huge for the Vikes last year. Kamara got paid and was huge for the Saints. Henry got paid and put up MVP like numbers last year. You had 5 players that were top 5 at their positions last year on offense, and next year you bring back 4 of those players, for what seems to be a pretty good deal. Don't you want as many explosive weapons as possible? Jones was like the 3rd best free agent available, maybe even higher than that. People should use a little more common sense when judging each move, not just assume they are all the exact same. Leveon was a cancer to that Pitt locker room. Gurley wasn't splitting carries with anyone and was clearly injured that super bowl season. Each situation is different. 

You make good points.

To counter those, David Johnson, Zeke Elliot, Christian McCaffrey and Bell (which you addressed) come to mind immediately.

I'd say that Jones may be the exception to the rule.  And I say that because I really like him.  He's worked his tail off and he is a playmaker in his prime.

The only thing that I'm not thrilled about is the draft.  I feel like GB could have gotten a very similar back in the draft, and probably in the third round or later.  And who knows, maybe we still will.

I've got no issue with Jones/Dillon in the backfield.  When Dillon takes more carries, that should flip Jones into the jet motion/slot guy.  We can play them both at the same time.

We are building around the running game, that much is evident.  It makes our QB even better.  Now I expect that one of our first two picks will be OT.  Solidify that line.

glad this got done, the team is right there and jones was one of the main reasons for that, he was probably the most underpaid player in the league before. i understand the point about selecting dillon in the 2nd, but this is a reflection of how Lafleur sees his offense.
If you ball out you get resigned, thats the kind of continuity that helps players leave something on the table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Ahh yes. Brady was outplayed by Rodgers and still put up 30+. Tampa had the better defense and won. Plain and simple

ESB dropped an easy 2 pt conversion that hit him in the hands.  Rodgers missed an open D Adams in the endzone and they settled for a field goal.    I'll take the missed oppty off the table for this discussion but not the missed 2 pt conversion.  Let's not pretend giving up 28 pts is suddenly an arbitrary "Championship level defense" but ours was not

Two great offenses, two good enough defenses and Bucs proved to be the better team in this matchup.

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yes.  I do think he could have gotten higher guarantees, but teams don't hand out high guarantees to RBs.  Of the RBs who have eclipsed the $10M+ AAV:

Christian McCaffrey: 4 years, $64M, $30M GTD 
Ezekiel Elliott: 6 years, $90M, $28M GTD
Alvin Kamara: 5 tears, $75M, $22.8M GTD
Dalvin Cook: 5 years, $63M, $16.3M GTD
Derrick Henry: 4 years, $50M, $25.5M GTD
Joe Mixon: 4 years, $48M, $10M GTD

I would argue that McCaffrey, Elliott, and Kamara are in a different tier, so it's hard to use them as a contract comparison.  If you average the guarantees that Cook, Henry, and Mixon got, they got roughly $17.3M GTD.  Right now, we know that Jones got at least $13M GTD via the signing bonus but until we get the official numbers we don't know exactly where it would fall.  I don't think it's going to be very far off from Dalvin Cook tbh.

Still waiting on the full details but it sounds like Jones' 2021 cap number could be a low as about $4.25M (3.25 signing bonus and minimum base around one million). Even if there's other guaranteed money in there, it should strike much lower than the 2021 franchise number ($8.65M) which many were in favor of. If the 2021 cap number for Jones is anywhere near half that, or even 75% of that figure, doesn't it make this an even better outcome than keeping him on the tag? Seems like a clear yes to me.

I'll admit I assumed Jones was gone when they didn't tag him.  Mixed feelings on keeping him, but I am never going to be too upset about retaining players who are performing at a high level, and in most games Jones has been doing exactly that.

Until we know more details about the structure, I am going to assume the deal will be setup with a low cap hit in year one, and ~6.5M out after year two.  The question is what the year two number looks like.