Aaron Jones Signs 4 year, $48M extension

CWood21

1 minute ago, Joe said:

that's because Pollard had something to prove and he's not an F-head like Zeke is...

I was a pretty big Zeke fan when he came out.  

Yes, he's always been a headcase.  But the kid had and has talent.  Since he got paid, it looked to me like desire was missing from his game.  Pollard certainly had that.  

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Zeke's backup, Pollard, looked quicker, faster and ran with more power last year....behind the same line.

So, we are in agreement.

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

that's because Pollard had something to prove and he's not an F-head like Zeke is...

Yep, not a league for players that are not hungry, I guess Zeke was finally well fed. At RB especially, you’d better want to go out and get it every play because the hit is coming, sometimes in multiple directions. 

• Like 1

There's a part of me that feels like I need to defend Z, because I liked him coming out.  And I really can't overly defend him.  He looked very lazy last year.

'Bout the only thing I can say is that he is quite close to Dak.  When Dak went down, I'm sure Zeke went into the tank.

But if I'm being fair, I watched him before Dak went down, and he was already in the tank.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

There's a part of me that feels like I need to defend Z, because I liked him coming out.  And I really can't overly defend him.  He looked very lazy last year.

'Bout the only thing I can say is that he is quite close to Dak.  When Dak went down, I'm sure Zeke went into the tank.

But if I'm being fair, I watched him before Dak went down, and he was already in the tank.

Andy Dalton doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  I'm sure all of the players knew that they were dead in the water once Prescott went down.

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Gonna be real interesting for me to see the cap hit for Jamal Williams in Detroit this year compared to the cap hit for Jones in GB.  

Probably ~2-2.5M this year for Williams.  Probably closer to 5M or 6M for Aaron Jones if I had to take a guess.

In spite of my misgivings on paying RB’s and the mitigation of the Dillon pick, I’m just going to enjoy the moment of being able to watch AJ play for at least a few more seasons. He’s a great player to have on the team and in the locker room, and the guarantees mean the early cap hits aren’t as bad as they might have been. Great versatility and can help the passing game.

He’s not bad on measurables, but what I really like is the “it” factor he brings with his vision to find small gaps to slither in between and the balance to come through them. Kinda like players the Patriots have had that don’t necessarily have 6th-gear-Chris-Johnson measurables but still find the ways to reach the sticks or the endzone, especially in clutch situations. I still remember his quadruple-OT game vs. UTSA in 06. Great performance. I’m glad he will get the chance to finish his GB career on a better note.

40 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

It's a 2Y/19.975M deal, which is good, but not that great.

You are right, its basically 2 years for 20m

It does look like the plan might be to compete in 21 and 22 then rebuild.  If that's the case then the 6m dead cap hit in 23 doesn't matter too much as the team will be maybe playing for a draft position.

4 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

no way jones sees year 3 of this lol 

There is a way Jones could see year 3. Year 4 not so much.

We could restructure year 3, convert the base salary and roster bonus to a signing bonus and prorate it over 2 years. That would bring that 2023 year's cap number down to a more manageable 12M. 

If Jones refuses to restructure in 2023, he'll get cut and be a free agent as a 28-year-old. If he does agree to restructure, we can keep him for one more year. Year 4 is there only to have room for the restructures.