Aaron Jones Signs 4 year, $48M extension

CWood21

40 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

I was referring more to the projection of his contract. They were quite close to those number he got.

I think run of the mill running backs are easy to replace but I think what Dalvin Cook, Kamara and to slightly lesser extent (not by much) what Jones does is really hard to replace. Jones had top 7 yards from scrummage for all players in the NFL last season. The top four were Derrick Henry, Cook, Kamara and Diggs. Would I want any of those guys on the Packers roster? Hell Ya! Or would I prefer if those players were not on good teams that we have to challenge with? Yup! Henry, Cook and Kamara all got paid and haven't fallen off a cliff yet either.

It is not like top yardage totals are filled with players that you could easily pick up in any draft. top running back are just as hard to find as other positions. I mean which back from last year could easily replace Jones totals? Jonathan Taylor just beat out Jones at 6th in yardage but everyone else got nowhere close: Edwards Helaire, Swift, Cam Akers, JK Dobbins, Gibson, Vaughn, Bowden, Moss, Evans etc..

Apart from Montgomery no one from the 2019 class come close to replacing Jones production: Josh Jacobs not fat off but is a 1st rounder, Miles Sanders, Henderson, Singletary, Harris, Mattison, Love, Snell, Pollard etc..

If you are looking for average production from your RB than that is easy to pick up, getting elite production is hard. And Jones is such an integral part of what the Packers do on offence.

How much of that is opportunity and situation?

30 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Just looking at total yards from scrimmage per game in the NFL, Jones is 5th and he should be 4th really because McCaffery is listed as 3rd and only played 3 games. The other players listed ahead of Jones are: Cook, Henry and Kamara. That is good company, all those respective teams paid to keep their stud RBs and I'm glad we did the same and we did it by paying significantly less. 

Cook, Henry and Kamara combined for 0 wins in the playoffs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Could happen to any player on the team ... say that and it goes for Adams, Rodgers, Bak and so on.  Going to see how the contract breaks down.

I wasn't being serious obviously. He'll probably end up being worth the money to some degree, I'd just have rather have done something else with it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Cook, Henry and Kamara combined for 0 wins in the playoffs.

#1. American Football = team game

#2. 0 wins in playoff doesn't negate that they were the top yards per game dudes in the league. Their respective teams I question would make the playoffs without them

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

#1. American Football = team game

#2. 0 wins in playoff doesn't negate that they were the top yards per game dudes in the league. Their respective teams I question would make the playoffs without them

Agreed, all 3 of these guys are the best players on their teams, and all would be sub 500 teams without them next year... much like the Panthers without McCaffrey.

Edited by fattlipp

I don’t mind the signing. He is really the only player that can “break” one on the offense. MVS can beat defenses over the top but he doesn’t break any as an after the catch WR.

I just hope we see a lot of Jones and Dillon in the backfield together. We can’t really hide Jones anymore.

Not saying he needs to get 30 carries. But he needs to be on the field more and in the passing game.

35 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How much of that is opportunity and situation?

If we look at the Pack, Jones was splitting carries. Then you got a QB who loves to audible out of runs and who was 7th on passing yards. None of those elite RBs who made up the top yards per game stats had a QB who threw more yards than Rodgers, those RBs were the focus of the offence hence why they produced, this in turn makes Jones stats and achievements even more impressive.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Norm said:

I wasn't being serious obviously. He'll probably end up being worth the money to some degree, I'd just have rather have done something else with it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

This is where I'm at but I refuse to give the Joe Barry experiment year near the amount of attention as I gave the past couple years. Taking the Rodgers approach and just taking it as it comes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I'm an old guy who takes everything seriously, obviously. I'm not wild about the deal but if done without to much salary cap "damage" it'll be better hopefully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

I’m not the most reverent or superstitious guy in the world, but joking about players getting seriously injured doesn’t seem like good form or good juju. 

3 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

Mayne... I'd much rather that money go into Linsley's pocket. I won't say it's a bad move, but I will say I wouldn't have done it.

AJ is 26, Linsley is 30. We’ll get more value out of AJ so I think it’s the right move in that regard.