Jets sign WR Corey Davis (3 years, $37.5M, $27M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Money feels a bit high there... I'd rather pay a bit more and get Golladay or Smith-Schuster

Kenny G yes maybe. JJSS probably not. Runs most of his work out of the slot. You can find better value than JuJu if you're giving him more than this. 

This money is largely fine but you have better deals in the same area for sure. This is maybe a touch under what I expected, but fairly accurate. Tyrell Williams signed for 11 million per 2 seasons ago. Jarvis makes 15 million. Sterling Shephard is 10.25  and Tyler Boyd is about 11. Sammy Watkins got 16 originally with the Chiefs, as did Robert Woods on his most recent deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Kenny G yes maybe. JJSS probably not. Runs most of his work out of the slot. You can find better value than JuJu if you're giving him more than this. 

This money is largely fine but you have better deals in the same area for sure. This is maybe a touch under what I expected, but fairly accurate. Tyrell Williams signed for 11 million per 2 seasons ago. Jarvis makes 15 million. Sterling Shephard is 10.25  and Tyler Boyd is about 11. Sammy Watkins got 16 originally with the Chiefs, as did Robert Woods on his most recent deal. 

I go the complete opposite direction. Juju is a versatile player who can excel anywhere on the field. Golladay has a bit of a one-dimensional skillset. He does that thing very, very well, though. Juju strikes me as a guy who will be very productive if he signs with the right team.

Just now, Forge said:

You mean the same Tyrell Williams who just got cut because the Raiders realised his contract was a gross overpayment? Landry and Woods in particular are far better WRs than Corey Davis.

He played well in 2020 but I honestly had him pencilled in for a prove-it deal, something like 1 year $9m

Just now, paul-mac said:

You mean the same Tyrell Williams who just got cut because the Raiders realised his contract was a gross overpayment? Landry and Woods in particular are far better WRs than Corey Davis.

He played well in 2020 but I honestly had him pencilled in for a prove-it deal, something like 1 year $9m

Tyrell got cut because he missed so much time to injuries, had he kept playing like he was for the Raiders early he'd still be on that contract no doubt.

10 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

But this is a typical market deal. Doesn't matter that they later cut him. 

I'd disagree that Landry is far better than Corey Davis, but Landry makes a couple of million more while Davis is making slightly more than Sterling Shepard, Davante Parker, etc. Sammy got 16 million a few years ago and had a very similar career production up until that point. There's no craziness here. It's just a personnel evaluation. 

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I go the complete opposite direction. Juju is a versatile player who can excel anywhere on the field. Golladay has a bit of a one-dimensional skillset. He does that thing very, very well, though. Juju strikes me as a guy who will be very productive if he signs with the right team.

I would only if the team is committed to using that versatility. If a team is deploying him the way that Pitt typically did, just sign a competent slot receiver for half as much and call it a day. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I would only if the team is committed to using that versatility. If a team is deploying him the way that Pitt typically did, just sign a competent slot receiver for half as much and call it a day. 

Well, Pitt using him the way they did this year was largely a function of Big Ben's limitations imo.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Well, Pitt using him the way they did this year was largely a function of Big Ben's limitations imo.

Ben's arm being shot is one of the dumber narratives out there and makes me wonder how much people actually watched the team play. The Steelers employed Juju the way they intended to before Ben ever even threw a pass. They asked him to bulk up for the role. If you are getting 2020 Juju, the guy with that size and speed, you are grossly overpaying. That's a guy who barely separates from LB's. Frankly, I think that's what the next team is going to get. I don't see him going back to his rookie playing weight.