Raiders release C Rodney Hudson

RaidersAreOne

If the Raiders needed to save 6.4M for 2021, here are some options they could have considered:

1.  Converted 12.8M Derek Carr's 19.5 salary to a signing bonus - and 6.4M would have moved to 2022.    Hudson still with team.

2.  Cut Marcus Mariota outright and saved 15M.  Hudson still with team.

3.  Cut Nick Kwiatkowski, saving 4.8M.   Restructure or cut Jalen Richard to get the rest.   Hudson still with team.

Someone tell me how any of those 3 scenarios is worse than outright cutting Hudson.   Unless we're about to find out that Hudson's getting arrested (in which case, waiting until then to cut him also relieves them 3.5M of the guaranteed money from this year), this is just....mind-boggling.

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Andre James played well in limited time, but this is an awful amount of faith in a guy who played limited snaps.

i dont buy this. last time andre james played snaps that i can remember was the Lions game in 2019 and the only memory i have from him in that game is having 3-4 bad snaps

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, Broncofan said:

If the Raiders needed to save 6.4M for 2021, here are some options they could have considered:

1.  Converted 12.8M Derek Carr's 19.5 salary to a signing bonus - and 6.4M would have moved to 2022.    Hudson still with team.

3.  Cut Nick Kwiatkowski, saving 4.8M.   Restructure or cut Jalen Richard to get the rest.   Hudson still with team.

Someone tell me how any of those 3 scenarios is worse than outright cutting Hudson.   Unless we're about to find out that Hudson's getting arrested (in which case, waiting until then to cut him also relieves them 3.5M of the guaranteed money from this year), this is just....mind-boggling.

#2 has been the obvious one all offseason when it became apparent nobody was going to trade for him

Edited by Turnobili

7 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It is worth it if you feel confident this is the year he regresses... but that is a huge gamble at best considering by all accounts he’s still a great player and durable OL can play well for a long time.

Even if what you say is true re: LV's mindset - it's hard to believe no team would have traded for him, even with a Day 3 pick, because they would only have to take on his 9.5M base salary.  The signing/restructure bonus $ is all with Vegas.

Part of the 15M+ cap hit is that 3.5M of the 2021 salary is guaranteed - so they ate that 3.5M.   Unless there's offset language, even a trade saves 3.5M more, and gives some return.    And because he's under contract - no comp pick factors into the return, either.  

It's just beyond mind-boggling.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Are they really going to keep Mariota at his price tag?