Denver releases RB Philip Lindsay

Broncofan

Originally signed to a right-of-first-refusal tender for his 4th year as a RFA, now released.   Probably will generate some interest, even in a FA market that still has guys like Kenyan Drake, Damien Williams & James White.   Wish him well, he was a 2-down monster for us.   Just couldn't pass protect and his pass receiving skills are limited - can't be a 3-down back.   Some team will likely want to sign him for his home run potential as a runner, and his tough running that belies his 190-lb size.

Just now, samsel23 said:

It seems KC is very interested.    I'm not sure why,  but there's a ton of buzz.

outside of CEH and Darrel Williams who do you guys have? Damian Williams was cut. Make sense to land Lindsay but will he want to be second fiddle to CEH or seek to be the #1 on another team?

Sounds like Denver did him a solid by releasing the tender -  teams thought Denver was going to match any offer (no picks back since he's a UFA).   Class move by the org, do it early so Lindsay gets offers ASAP (after they signed their backup / 3rd RB if they go RB in draft Mike Boone - Minny alumnus GM Paton knows well). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I've always been a fan

I don't think he's had a fair shot

He's small but he's produced when given carries 

He's had a very fair shot.   The issue isn't his run game skills in a Shanny-type system.   He's really good there.   His pass pro is just nonexistent.   And his pass catching skills haven't progressed.   

MG3 was a bad signing for us IMO because we weren't going anywhere with him last year, and I would have much preferred to draft a rookie, and get a budget pass-down RB who could block better, but not tie us down.  But now that MG3 is there, that complete skill set is why he got the lion's share.   Lindsay is the better runner in a WC / FB blocking run scheme, he didn't adjust nearly as well to Shurmur's scheme last year.  But his success his first 2 years as a runner isn't in dispute.  His lack of pass game skills (more important in protection) just keeps him off the field, and makes it predictable when he's on the field.   

He'll still be a big run game asset in a Shanny-scheme (or another that uses the FB).  

• Like 1