Raiders sign C Nick Martin

RaidersAreOne

Texans fans say he's the definition of mediocre. Terrible in the run game, average in pass pro but misses a ton of assignments.

Cable has his work cut out for him. This Oline is could be a problem. Kolton is solid, Richie is an injury risk. Good is average. C and RT are question marks. This line is not intimidating anyone. This Oline on paper looks worse than the 2018 line that was a mess. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Texans fans say he's the definition of mediocre. Terrible in the run game, average in pass pro but misses a ton of assignments.

Cable has his work cut out for him. This Oline is could be a problem. Kolton is solid, Richie is an injury risk. Good is average. C and RT are question marks. This line is not intimidating anyone. This Oline on paper looks worse than the 2018 line that was a mess. 

Ive seen enough of Nick Martin to know there is nothing special about him. He is a significant downgrade to Hudson. This is a mess unless we hit on a draft pick

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

We have to wait and see Texas uses a different blocking scheme 62% zone. So He might not be fast enough for the zone but could be ok in power blocking or he could just suck.

42 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

We have to wait and see Texas uses a different blocking scheme 62% zone. So He might not be fast enough for the zone but could be ok in power blocking or he could just suck.

Cable is known for his ZBS. We've see a lot more power fitting the players they had. I wonder if we see more zone now with the Oline getting a new look. 

Right now, this feels a bit like Seattle's Olines in Cables year. No star power, built lean on castoffs and guys switching positions. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Ive seen enough of Nick Martin to know there is nothing special about him. He is a significant downgrade to Hudson. This is a mess unless we hit on a draft pick

I hope the signing of Martin and this “very high on James” attitude (which is prolly BS- why are we high on James only the day after we cut/trade Hudson)..... doesn’t preclude us from drafting a C.  There are several really good C’s in this draft:

Landon Dickerson, Alabama

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma 

Josh Meyers, OSU

Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater

Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame (RT convert)

We could/should draft a RT AND C....  if one of the top 4 is available in the 3rd....and use the center as a G backup too... IMO.  If the Top C’s are off the board then I’d just roll With Martin and James.

6 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think we're gonna roll with Parker he's showed flashes last year and has improved every year since his disaster of a rookie year.

I'd be happy if he did develop into a serviceable RT.  We'll see what happens.  I think the team is happy with where they're currently at.  I think if we address RT and FS in the first two rounds, we should have a rock solid team.  I don't think we have the talent to go to the playoffs necessarily, but I think we will end up being a 8-9 win team.  It's disappointing, but we just don't have the playmakers to take us to the next level.  We just don't have one on defense really.  Yannick might be it, we'll see.

8 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Nah. It can't be worse than rookie Kolton and Parker. Those guys were turnstiles.

For all we know, Martin was brought in as depth/competition. Nothing wrong with that.

I think we need to draft and/or sign a right tackle, but I dont' think the OL will be bad. Frankly, it wasn't very good last year. Which we pointed out several times. We straight up weren't winning in the trenches. Especially in the run game.

On 3/19/2021 at 3:59 AM, big_palooka said:

Yeah, one of my best friends is a die hard Texans fan and he said that Martin has been a disappointment. I mean Houston gave up 50 sacks and had the 31st best running game in the league last year and wanted to move on from him. It's like the DB's or DL we move on from, if they weren't good enough to play/make an impact here, highly unlikely they're gonna be good in their next stop. 

On 3/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, Bitty 2.0 said:

I think we're gonna roll with Parker he's showed flashes last year and has improved every year since his disaster of a rookie year.

Completely disagree, he's looked bad every game his played but maybe two and one of them was at LT. I'd accept him as LT back up, not swing though.  I want a drafted RT and vet RT.  Rather see Simpson play guard with Good at RT then parker

6 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Completely disagree, he's looked bad every game his played but maybe two and one of them was at LT. I'd accept him as LT back up, not swing though.  I want a drafted RT and vet RT.  Rather see Simpson play guard with Good at RT then parker

People need to let the " Parker is an LT" go, the man played LT at a small school 4 years ago.