Bears offer for Wilson

Manny/Patrick

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

It really depends to what degree Russ is actually not interested in playing in Seattle. Is he just bluffing in a power grab for organizational decisions? Or is he genuinely done in Seattle no matter what.

I mean either way it would probably be smart for Seattle to start looking for the next guy in line considering he's going to be 33 next season. 

You don't have to ride it until the wheels fall off like Big Ben.

He probably has 3 good years left. If you can get a huge trade package for him with multiple firsts and players you have to consider doing it.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

The fact is that Seattle is not winning another ring with Wilson. It won't happen.

Wilson has 3 playoff wins since Malcolm Butler and his D gave up 9, 6, and 9 in those wins.

He put up 10, 26, and 17 in those wins.

Rodgers might lose in the NFCCG but at least he's been to 3 since Russ last got there.

You do the deal and you replace your geriatric coach if he does not feel like rebuilding.

Wilson is not the answer to their winning at that salary and with that attitude.

I'm a huge fan of everything he has done for the franchise throughout his career but the value is over.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean either way it would probably be smart for Seattle to start looking for the next guy in line considering he's going to be 33 next season. 

You don't have to ride it until the wheels fall off like Big Ben.

He probably has 3 good years left. If you can get a huge trade package for him with multiple firsts and players you have to consider doing it.

Two years tops.

Playoff wins the last 6 years: (68 wins)

• Brady 13
  • Mahomes 6
  • Rodgers 5
  • Foles 4
  • Brees 3
  • Peyton Manning 3
  • Roethlisberger 3
  • Goff 3
  • Ryan 3
  • Wilson 3
  • Bortles 2
  • Cam 2
  • Tannehill 2
  • Jimmy G 2
  • Allen 2
  • Palmer, Smith, Dak, Keenum, Osweiler, Mariota 1
  • Rivers, Watson, Cousins, Lamar, Baker, Luck 1

He might be top 5 QB in the regular season but he's about 6th best in the playoffs year after year and that's not good enough.

I guess you could pretend its still 2012-2014.

If what Seattle has done the last 6 years is amazing success.

• 2 division titles, 5 playoff appearances, 3 playoff wins

Then what do you think about the Texans?

• 4 division titles, 4 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins

I'm not sure you need to pay your QB 35 million a year and turn down three 1st round picks + picks and players to be a bit better than the Texans.

Edited by SkippyX

18 hours ago, Danger said:

It really depends to what degree Russ is actually not interested in playing in Seattle. Is he just bluffing in a power grab for organizational decisions? Or is he genuinely done in Seattle no matter what.

If he was done in Seattle no matter what, his agent would have already made an official trade request, instead of that veiled threat.    IMO this was the warning shot across the bow - and it's pretty clear notice.   We'll see how much Carroll pays attention - Gabe Jackson was a start, but they really could use a T upgrade.    Getting Everett as their pass catching TE is a good move too - but the key is whether the new O scheme is going to let Russ cook.    Carson coming back allows them to be run heavy when they need to - but Wilson's biggest beef besides bad OL play was the simplicity of the pass scheme - D's could easily plan and prepare for SEA's scheme. 

The good news is that the new OC Shane Waldron at least comes from an O that was very novel and innovative in using 3-WR and 12 formation pass plays.   The big Q is how much he learned under McVay and can adapt to make Seattle's O hum.   I would say if you put Wilson in LAR's O....he would have killed it.   Time will tell if they can replicate that level of success with Russ & the 'Hawks (and no, I don't think he's going anywhere this offseason).

Edited by Broncofan

Its just funny how bears fans were mocking the bears were looking into wentz saying we dont want that bum and now are stuck with andy dalton as a starter .   I would rather take the high risk high reward option of being a chance he can return to his old form while he still is young then settling for a bad back up game manager .   Andy dalton the last couple years has been horrible  Wentz has a much higher ceiling than dalton .   When it comes to QBs i rather take the risk then settle for  game manager high level back up QB .   If the bears are smart they will trade up in the draft if they take the field with dalton they will go 6-10 . if they went 8-8 with foles they are gonna be worse next year will dalton .

On 3/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, SkippyX said:

The fact is that Seattle is not winning another ring with Wilson. It won't happen.

Wilson has 3 playoff wins since Malcolm Butler and his D gave up 9, 6, and 9 in those wins.

He put up 10, 26, and 17 in those wins.

Rodgers might lose in the NFCCG but at least he's been to 3 since Russ last got there.

You do the deal and you replace your geriatric coach if he does not feel like rebuilding.

Wilson is not the answer to their winning at that salary and with that attitude.

I'm a huge fan of everything he has done for the franchise throughout his career but the value is over.

I agree with everything in this quote. 

On 3/20/2021 at 4:47 PM, SkippyX said:

Playoff wins the last 6 years: (68 wins)

• Brady 13
  • Mahomes 6
  • Rodgers 5
  • Foles 4
  • Brees 3
  • Peyton Manning 3
  • Roethlisberger 3
  • Goff 3
  • Ryan 3
  • Wilson 3
  • Bortles 2
  • Cam 2
  • Tannehill 2
  • Jimmy G 2
  • Allen 2
  • Palmer, Smith, Dak, Keenum, Osweiler, Mariota 1
  • Rivers, Watson, Cousins, Lamar, Baker, Luck 1

The main thing I take away from these numbers is that unless your QB is TFB or Mahomes, its really hard to win playoff games.

Foles has the 4th most playoff wins, he got all 4 in one run. 

Also, I have no clue how/why you organized the 6 QBs with 3 playoff wins. Looks like you were intentionally trying to place Russ at the bottom to better serve your narrative. Obviously no Seattle fan is content with the success or lack there of the franchise. This year was especially awful and infuriating. But looking at this by trimming the fat, it really tells me Russ has had the same amount of success as Roethlisburger and Brees of the last 6 years. Which is idk... ok I guess.

Edited by animaltested

20 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Bears should offer the same thing for Zach Wilson, minus the players.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did end up doing that.  They only have Dalton signed for a year, so he could be a good stop gap until Wilson is ready to go later in the 2021 season.  This would result in the Dalton signing making a lot more sense than just about any other scenario too.

43 minutes ago, coltstrong said:

Its just funny how bears fans were mocking the bears were looking into wentz saying we dont want that bum and now are stuck with andy dalton as a starter .   I would rather take the high risk high reward option of being a chance he can return to his old form while he still is young then settling for a bad back up game manager .   Andy dalton the last couple years has been horrible  Wentz has a much higher ceiling than dalton .   When it comes to QBs i rather take the risk then settle for  game manager high level back up QB .   If the bears are smart they will trade up in the draft if they take the field with dalton they will go 6-10 . if they went 8-8 with foles they are gonna be worse next year will dalton .

The thing is, right now at least, Carson Wentz isn't any better than Dalton.  I agree with you that his upside is considerably higher, but there was a risk in trading for him because he may never return to his 2017 form.  I don't blame Bears fans for feeling the way they did, but I also don't blame Colts fans for being hopeful and their willingness to take the chance.

Anyway, the main reason I would still decline this package is simple.

You need a QB to win.

You trade Russ you have no QB. 

The Bears 2021 1RP & 2022 1RP do not get in a position to draft a QB

All the FA and available QBs are significant downgrades (The Trubisky. Darnold, poo-poo platter etc)

Burning the capital you gain by trading Russ to turn around and burn it moving up or trading for a QB just seems arse backwards.

Seattle is in year 4 of their 2018 soft reset. Seattle has gone 10-6, 11-5, 12-4 in the three season post reset. I honestly believe the team/ FO wants to ride out this window.

Now, 2022 is where things get interest. Like go ahead and look at Seattle's 2022 presumptive roster. That when I think Seattle might be inclined to hit that big fat reset button.

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

The main thing I take away from these numbers is that unless your QB is TFB or Mahomes, its really hard to win playoff games.

Foles has the 4th most playoff wins, he got all 4 in one run. 

Also, I have no clue how/why you organized the 6 QBs with 3 playoff wins. Looks like you were intentionally trying to place Russ at the bottom to better serve your narrative. Obviously no Seattle fan is content with the success or lack there of the franchise. This year was especially awful and infuriating. But looking at this by trimming the fat, it really tells me Russ has had the same amount of success as Roethlisburger and Brees of the last 6 years. Which is idk... ok I guess.

So do you count 2017 and 2018 as one run? Its an interesting take.

I either did this to personally hurt your feelings or to show that the 35 million a year QB is not better at results than those guys.

He is purposely lined up with Bortles because he only has one more playoff win than Bortles over 6 years. These are facts.

• And this is only true because dude in Minny missed a 27 yard field goal so Russ could win 10-9

Both Roethlisberger and Brees have been seen as fading stars to the point of pathetic at times. 

• Brees in recent playoffs and Ben last year
  • So you are good with kinda even with dudes who are now pathetic? Another interesting take to be sure.

I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB or that he does not carry that team in the regular season.

I am saying that paying him 35 a year vs. getting a Hershel Walker package is an easy decision at this point

Edited by SkippyX

5 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

So do you count 2017 and 2018 as one run? Its an interesting take.

I either did this to personally hurt your feelings or to show that the 35 million a year QB is not better at results than those guys.

He is purposely lined up with Bortles because he only has one more playoff win than Bortles. These are facts.

Both Roethlisberger and Brees have been seen as fading starts to the point of pathetic at times. 

• Brees in recent playoffs and Ben last year
  • So you are good with kinda even with dudes who are now pathetic? Another interesting take to be sure.

Forgot about 2018. Foles is a playoff king.

I didnt say im good, that its "ok I guess". Ringing endorsement. 

Obviously no Seattle fan is content with the success or lack there of the franchise. This year was especially awful and infuriating.

Anyway, highlight with passive aggressiveness this post at your leisure.