I'm curious who you guys like with our 1st round pick

TeHDruiD

1 hour ago, LinebackerGod said:

You’d be asking JOK to play will, which he really hasn’t done. He is perfect for the tole we’re gonna ask Harrison to play now. If we didn’t sign John Johnson, I’d be banging the drum for JOK. I just think we should try and find a guy we can plug in at a major position of need before filling an already good position with another player.

I know I’m in the minority for not wanting to go BPA all the time, but we need to be thinking about winning the Super Bowl in 2022, not BPA. Just my thoughts tho

If I have JOK projected as a better player than Harrison, and I guess I do, I'm still drafting him. 

Harrison's contract is up after 2021. JOK would be under contract potentially until after 2025. 

But as I said, I don't think that will be a choice we have to make at 26 because he will come off the board earlier.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

If I have JOK projected as a better player than Harrison, and I guess I do, I'm still drafting him. 

Harrison's contract is up after 2021. JOK would be under contract potentially until after 2025. 

But as I said, I don't think that will be a choice we have to make at 26 because he will come off the board earlier.

We’re really taking about the same thing here.  Call them a linebacker, rover, star, whatever, we both see the value in a top tier second level defender.

What do you guys think about this, because it surely involves a trade up. Every year there is a player (or two) who inexplicably slides. But.......

If the draft plays out that we reach pick 16 to 18 say, and he is still available - what do you all think about pulling the trigger on a trade up for LB Micah Parsons?

I don't think it would be super expensive in draft capital. Definitely 26 and a 3rd or 4th rounder this year, as well as probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2022.

But he is a generational talent. He would solidify the middle level of the defense. We would then have a stud at all 3 levels of the defense.

Thoughts?

Edited by brooks1957

6 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

What do you guys think about this, because it surely involves a trade up

Probably not 

6 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

If the draft plays out that we reach pick 16 to 18 say, and he is still available - what do you all think about pulling the trigger on a trade up for LB Micah Parsons?

I’m torn on him. I have my own off field concerns and he didn’t play in 2020, so I’m skeptical. If he’s there at 26, great.

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

What do you guys think about this, because it surely involves a trade up. Every year there is a player (or two) who inexplicably slides. But.......

I don't think it would be super expensive in draft capital. Definitely 26 and a 3rd or 4th rounder this year, as well as probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2022.

But he is a generational talent. He would solidify the middle level of the defense. We would then have a stud at all 3 levels of the defense.

Thoughts?

If the cost is a 3rd or 4th this year, sure.  That PLUS a top 90 pick next year? Nah, not at all.

I wouldn’t be looking to spend future picks really at all, but especially this year with the goofy season and draft process.

18 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

He isn't though. He's a tremendous athlete, not a generational talent.

His tape isn't even as good as the other top LB's in this draft (JOK/Zaven/Bolton). You'd be drafting him based on upside, not on pure ability. I don't really know about his off-field stuff, but just purely on tape, he's not as good as these other guys. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him at #26, but it'd be a gamble on upside, not on tape.

18 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Thoughts?

If they do, I wouldn't be mad but I don't think they value LB that highly anyway. Plus if we trade up for someone, it would be for a guy like Farley, Surtain or Horn. And on top of that, we could get a guy with a similar skill set to Parsons in Barron Browning (Though that may not be the case if he blows up his pro day) in the 3rd without wasting any resources. 

30 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

He isn't though. He's a tremendous athlete, not a generational talent.

His tape isn't even as good as the other top LB's in this draft (JOK/Zaven/Bolton). You'd be drafting him based on upside, not on pure ability. I don't really know about his off-field stuff, but just purely on tape, he's not as good as these other guys. I wouldn't hate it if we picked him at #26, but it'd be a gamble on upside, not on tape.

I think you might be too hard on him, you have to remember he only played LB for 2 seasons prior to being a 5* defensive end recruit. Of course he's not going to be playing like Luke Kuechly. Second of all, there is nothing wrong with gambling on a guy based off upside if he has enough flashes to show why you took him, he does. 

I'm either or on him, but I think you might be unfairly criticizing him, he is still an impact player.

19 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Thoughts?

I agree with Letsgo here....and I am HUGE Parsons fan, I Believe he is Patrick Willis 2.0, he is a True Middle Linebacker (Mike), who can run and cover (3down) AND give you some Pass Rush ability (he was a 5 Star DE coming out of Harrisburg PA, same town as my Favorite Uncle Sterling and Aunt Barbra Ann live in, which is how I heard about this kid in HS). But based on the type of Defense we want to run and who is already on the team, not sure about the compensation....if the price is cheap as a 2 3rds (one this year and one in 2022) then YES SIR!!!!

I have a dream that we got Parson at 26 and then traded our 2nd and both 3rs to Tampa Bay for 32 and 2 7th......and drafted JOK who slid in the draft (I've seen it on a couple of Mocks now....I dont believe he will slip, but since its speculation season). That would solve our LB for the next 5 years...for ANY defense Joe Woods wants to run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I agree with Letsgo here....and I am HUGE Parsons fan, I Believe he is Patrick Willis 2.0, he is a True Middle Linebacker (Mike), who can run and cover (3down) AND give you some Pass Rush ability

Parsons doesn't even play MIKE linebacker. And yeah, he can run/cover/blitz. What he can't do is process the game quickly. He does not have great instincts, which makes him a much better fit playing WILL, or even better, SAM/STAR. I don't want him sitting in the middle of our defense when he can't read a guard or a down block to save his life. He is a traditional run & chase linebacker that will thrive in a hybrid OLB role, not a MIKE role. SAM's don't have to read guards as much, which is why I think he's the best fit there. Also, he'd be the 5th pass rusher on blitzes most of the time.

That said, we don't play with a SAM/STAR. Our SAM/STAR is going to be a 3rd safety. Which means Parsons would be playing over guards, where he struggles processing. I don't think we are going to value him the way other teams will.

48 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Parsons doesn't even play MIKE linebacker. And yeah, he can run/cover/blitz. What he can't do is process the game quickly. He does not have great instincts, which makes him a much better fit playing WILL, or even better, SAM/STAR. I don't want him sitting in the middle of our defense when he can't read a guard or a down block to save his life. He is a traditional run & chase linebacker that will thrive in a hybrid OLB role, not a MIKE role. SAM's don't have to read guards as much, which is why I think he's the best fit there. Also, he'd be the 5th pass rusher on blitzes most of the time.

That said, we don't play with a SAM/STAR. Our SAM/STAR is going to be a 3rd safety. Which means Parsons would be playing over guards, where he struggles processing. I don't think we are going to value him the way other teams will.

Bruh, you keep harping on this reading his keys stuff like he can't be coached up, plus what if PSU didn't read guards? People coach linebackers (and football period) differently across the country. You look at linebacker with one pair of lenses, there are multiple perspectives to how to do things, just because he doesn't do it the way you like doesn't mean he can't do it. Secondly, the idea of guys being ready made prospects like they won't be coached up and taught at a high level is preposterous.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1