Bears sign Damien Williams

beardown3231

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Yeah the player himself is a great grab....

The fit is where I'm more confused than anything...  He's literally coming in to fill the same exact role we already have Cohen, Patterson, and theoretically Pierce for.

Maybe this means CP is going to go (which he's a fine returner, and STer, but meh everywhere else)..... as Williams has to be eating into at least some of Cohen or Patterson's reps.

Patterson is a free agent, so yeah he's gone

Just a perfect fit to be honest, reunites with Nagy, will legit play like %33 of the snaps, maybe 40, veteran presence and super bowl champ.

Moves Cohen to the Cordelle Patterson role full time. Just returning kicks and gadget plays. I love the kid(as my avatar shows and went to my alma mater) but he is not built to be an NFL RB.

This is going to sound crazy but I think this move puts us back in the 8-8, 9-7, type of team conversation....our running game is pretty strong now to be honest. We need to hit on some draft picks and have a healthy line but this is a solid run team

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I don't see him as a Cohen replacement at all. He's a true backup to Montgomery, and a good one. This is one of the best moves of the offseason IMO.

I didnt see your post but yeah!! Thats what I was thinking!! Pretty big under the radar signing.....dude started in a super bowl...we all know it was Mahomes but still.....our running game is ROCK SOLID...plus Cohen in a pinch

Also like I said , we havent drafted yet...lets see these OL's and CB's we get.....actually might be an ok season

4 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I didnt see your post but yeah!! Thats what I was thinking!! Pretty big under the radar signing.....dude started in a super bowl...we all know it was Mahomes but still.....our running game is ROCK SOLID...plus Cohen in a pinch

Also like I said , we havent drafted yet...lets see these OL's and CB's we get.....actually might be an ok season

You said that last year too. The Bears stink. Give it up

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

The Bears don't stink. 8-8 does not equal stinkitude. There's a chance they'll be better next season, too. 

What do you think it would've been had they not played the Lions, Texans and Jags down the stretch?

They showed that when they play competitive teams, they're awful.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What do you think it would've been had they not played the Lions, Texans and Jags down the stretch?

I wouldn't say they're awful.  Definitely an average team though, thanks in large part to the offense.

They need to dedicate like 90% of their draft towards the O and hope to hit on several picks.  Draft a CB on D and that's it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Draft a CB on D and that's it.

I wouldn't hate an ILB behind Danny T either.... or an Edge if one drops to us, ditto a high potential DL guy since Hicks has to be nearing the end...... but overall yeah.... this draft needs to be like 75%+ offensive players. Far too little talent on that side of the ball right now, though I'm thinking this Williams pickup, might let us skip any thoughts of RB for a year.

Edited by Epyon

51 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't say they're awful.  Definitely an average team though, thanks in large part to the offense.

They need to dedicate like 90% of their draft towards the O and hope to hit on several picks.  Draft a CB on D and that's it.

They were awful against good teams

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

What do you think it would've been if the defense hadn't played the toughest offensive schedule in the league for the 2nd year in a row? 

The defense only played two offenses that finished in the bottom third in the league (22nd or worse) while also playing 8 games and 6 different teams against top-10 offenses (two teams of which were division rivals). 

Bears were not 'awful' by any means.  They were the perfect example of the old saying "you are what your record says are". Which in this case is average.  They had a good defense and special teams but the offense was so terrible and out of sync that it brought the rest of the team down overall. (I feel I've been saying this very same thing for the last 40 years). 

• Like 1

I really like this signing.  Low risk, high reward.

Williams may not be a star RB but he's a versatile player who fits the system and can do everything that both Monty and Cohen can do at a solid level, and he's a MUCH better option than Peterson or Pierce are at RB if either of them miss any time. 

And if Monty and Cohen stays healthy then this just frees up Cohen to take on more of a return role, which also means less hits and higher probability to contribute for a full season.

At worst, he turns out to be garbage. So what?  What's the loss?  A low 1 year 3M deal?

He's only 28, and while that may be old by RB standards..... he's a 28 year old RB will low mileage.

On 3/25/2021 at 2:03 AM, AZBearsFan said:

I was actually thinking with CP seemingly not coming back that Cohen maybe would return to doing KO returns again.

I might be foggy but I thought he was below average there. I'm all for it since he is paid if he can do it well though. Maybe I'm just remembering him having a few bad returns from being too aggressive?