Even more lazily slapped together Regular Season OT

Thelonebillsfan

The more I think the name about the more it fits baseball. They have the worst team names in sports

4 are named after socks (Reds, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals)
1 no longer fits the location (Dodgers)
1 is so absurdly generic to sports (Athletics)
2 are just name them twice (Phillies and Angels)
1 is a generic location (Mets)
1 is a term that has generally been used derisively (Yankees)
1 is linked to corrupt politics and depending on your inclinations racism (Braves)

And some others aren't great either. But these are particularly bad to me in the sense that if they were renamed from something else to this today we'd laugh at it too.

Hot take

Basically all sports names suck because naming conventions for North American sports sucks. It's city, and then a one word noun (or rarely a verb). And there are like, 5 good animal names and 3 decent verb names, and that's it. The rest are varying degrees of bad because how could they not be lol. The only thing that's decent is at least most teams try to be alliterative. 

I think for what it is, and given how prominent the Guardian is in the city, that it's a perfectly fine sports name.

But we'd be way better off if we just named everything "Sporting club" or whatever because that's less dumb than "Detroit Mongoose" or whatever,

Angels bullpen blows another one lol...

Seemed like such a good game despite Ohtani and Walsh (came in to pinch hit in the 7th) getting the night off. Got off to a nice start with a 4-0 lead after the first 2 innings. Lots of good defensive plays.

Starter Cobb after giving up 2 runs (1 ER) had to come out at the beginning of the 6th inning cause of a blister on one of his fingers smfh. After his 4th good start in a row (3 ER in 4 games in July).

In comes the bullpen to give up a run immediately in the 6th to put the game at 4-3.

Then, we give up 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th to make it 5-4.

Disappointed Los Angeles Angels GIF by Jomboy Media

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I think for what it is, and given how prominent the Guardian is in the city, that it's a perfectly fine sports name.

This ^

I dont have many expectations when it comes to the names of teams and I didnt know anything of the connection between the Guardian name and the city....but learning that, it works for me. Why not? It certainly isnt offensive in any way and ultimately people will come to love (or hate) it based on the teams performance.

Just lost the no hitter on up a hit that fell just inside the first base line with 2 outs left in the 9th.

Got the next guy out and got pulled for the last out.

Can't make this stuff up lol.

At least he was able to settle down and get the next guy out to close it out.

I was gonna be devastated for Sandy if the team failed him again after an amazing outing.