What is a Super Bowl, that if a player had won, they are in the HOF?

TecmoSuperJoe

The offseason remains vigilant, which is why I was thinking about this. Curious, are they any Super Bowls that immediately come to your mind where if a player had won that game, they are probably enshrined in Canton, or their case would be expediated? I'm guessing most answers would be a quarterback. A couple of easy ones to me are Boomer Esiason in Super Bowl 23, and Steve McNair in Super Bowl 34. Does Tiki Barber have a better case if he wins Super Bowl 35? Is McNabb in if he wins Super Bowl 38? What players were a game away? 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Kenny Anderson would be in if the team had won SB 16.  Even more likely than Boomer if he had won SB 23

These were the two QBs I was going to mention. It’s hard to put McNabb in the hall, even with a SB win in 04, because he was never really in the top 5 QBs conversation, and then faded badly at the tail end of his career.

In essence, historically SB wins serve as tie-breakers between statistically similar players.

If Ryan had won in 16, then he would have had an MVP, SB and likely SB MVP in the same season, and have separated himself from the ringless statmonster pack and made a good argument for the HoF.

Shaun Alexander is likely going in the HoF eventually, but a ring in his MVP year would have bumped him to potential first ballot.

Likewise, a ring would have pulled Barber ahead of the Curtis Martin/Corey Dillon crowd and made up ground on Tomlinson/Faulk group.

Patrick Willis waltzes into the HoF first ballot, even after early retirement, if he wins in 2012, separating himself from  Kuechly. If the Raiders had won in 2002, no way does Tim Brown wait 8 years to get in.

Another interesting question is what players never make the hall if you take their ring away. Namath being the obvious example. You could also argue Terrell Davis 

Lavonte David will probably make the Hall now, but would never have made it before last years win.

• Like 3

Eddie George. 10,000+ career rushing yards with over 12,500 all purpose yards, and 2 TD with 125 all purpose yards in the Super Bowl. Old school thumper who has his YPC average held against him, especially with Tennessee running him into the ground.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Another interesting question is what players never make the hall if you take their ring away.

There are a few rings to remove... but Lynn Swann comes to mind. Michael Irvin, perhaps? Troy Aikman?

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:
18 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Another interesting question is what players never make the hall if you take their ring away.

There are a few rings to remove... but Lynn Swann comes to mind. Michael Irvin, perhaps? Troy Aikman?

Eli Manning, no question. Maybe even Broadway Joe Namath, albeit hard to say given the era discrepancy difference.

• Like 3

its an interesting question but at the same time for some players a superbowl win wouldve changed career trajectories. 

Lets take McNabb. I think he definitely gets in the Hall. A Superbowl Win probably means TO and McNabb get along for a few more years and Eagles dont waste time signing guys like Kevin Curtis to be the #1 receiver

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Am I alone in thinking Donovan is not a lock? 

Under 40,000 yards with a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio (on the dot) and only 234 passing TD, 85.6 QB Rating, 59% completion rate, but a really good 5 year prime from 2000-2004, and a mediocre 24 TD and 17 INT in the playoffs with a 9-7 record and no ring doesn't get it done for me personally.

I think he's a hall of really good, but never at any point in his career did I consider him to be THE BEST. He was clearly behind Manning, Brady, Warner, and Favre. He was in the conversation with Brees, Roethisberger, Vick, Romo, and McNair.

JMHO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Am I alone in thinking Donovan is not a lock even if he did get a win? 

No. McNabb was just good at most pre-SB and was bad post-SB. Jim Johnson's defense was more instrumental to PHI's success in the 2000's.