What is a Super Bowl, that if a player had won, they are in the HOF?

TecmoSuperJoe

4 minutes ago, Nut said:

No. McNabb was just good at most pre-SB and was bad post-SB. Jim Johnson's defense was more instrumental to PHI's success in the 2000's.

But consider the lack of weapons McNabb had pre-TO and after only enjoyed a year or 2 of young Desean and Maclin

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think he's a hall of really good, but never at any point in his career did I consider him to be THE BEST. He was clearly behind Manning, Brady, Warner, and Favre. He was in the conversation with Brees, Roethisberger, Vick, Romo, and McNair.

JMHO

Brees was an instant asset to NO and was FAR more productive with a revolving door at receiver. Guaranteed spot in the Hall of Fame and to be frank lumping McNabb with him is kind of a joke.

Roethlisberger has two rings and has a far better playoff resume.

Vick was an electrifying and unique athlete. Completely overrated, but fascinating nonetheless. Even pre-SB McNabb wasn't nearly as athletic as he was.

Romo was an elite quarterback that was carrying a poorly managed and coached team. Dallas would have been perennially picking top 5 in the draft without him.

McNair was tough as nails and respected in the locker room.

Edited by Nut
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eagles23 said:

But consider the lack of weapons McNabb had pre-TO and after only enjoyed a year or 2 of young Desean and Maclin

Statistically speaking he was only marginally better for the most part. In fact, his second highest passer rating and highest YPA for a season was 2006, which was when TO left (granted he missed half of it). 2004 was a pretty great season, but in the world of statistics it's definitely an outlier.

While McNabb had ho-hum receivers for the most part, he consistently had a great defense. For example, the legendary 2000 BAL defense's DVOA was 32.6 and their starting receivers were Qadry Ismail and Brandon Stokely. 2001 PHI was 32.4.

The key thing is that no matter what you gave him, you still got the same crap from McNabb that ultimately held PHI back: inconsistency, dirt balls, melting down in crunch time, passive-aggressive primadonna that simply wasn't a leader, etc.

Edited by Nut
  • Like 1

James Harrison? steelers win SB45 he's now a 3x SB champ and a DPOY award/few elite seasons on his resume. He becomes the Terrell Davis of Linebackers(he kinda already is) what about Cam? he wins SB50 and the positive media blitz that comes with that. I could see that pushing him in down the road.

4 minutes ago, August4th said:

James Harrison? steelers win SB45 he's now a 3x SB champ and a DPOY award/few elite seasons on his resume. He becomes the Terrell Davis of Linebackers(he kinda already is) what about Cam? he wins SB50 and the positive media blitz that comes with that. I could see that pushing him in down the road.

I think Harrison is more about "when" over "if" but I agree that another ring gets him in sooner.

Cam is really tough, because his valleys were REALLY low. But an MVP season and a 15-1 record with a SB ring is hard to ignore.

1 hour ago, ChazStandard said:

These were the two QBs I was going to mention. It’s hard to put McNabb in the hall, even with a SB win in 04, because he was never really in the top 5 QBs conversation, and then faded badly at the tail end of his career.

In essence, historically SB wins serve as tie-breakers between statistically similar players.

If Ryan had won in 16, then he would have had an MVP, SB and likely SB MVP in the same season, and have separated himself from the ringless statmonster pack and made a good argument for the HoF.

Shaun Alexander is likely going in the HoF eventually, but a ring in his MVP year would have bumped him to potential first ballot.

Likewise, a ring would have pulled Barber ahead of the Curtis Martin/Corey Dillon crowd and made up ground on Tomlinson/Faulk group.

Patrick Willis waltzes into the HoF first ballot, even after early retirement, if he wins in 2012, separating himself from  Kuechly. If the Raiders had won in 2002, no way does Tim Brown wait 8 years to get in.

Another interesting question is what players never make the hall if you take their ring away. Namath being the obvious example. You could also argue Terrell Davis 

Lavonte David will probably make the Hall now, but would never have made it before last years win.

Yes Willis might be in already. I guess I didn't think about him first since I feel like he'll get in sooner rather than later. At least that's my hope. 

Matt Ryan is, statistically, already a HoF QB. So mentioning him doesn't get any "bleeding edge hot take points"

Now the 2012 Falcons. The team that DECIMATED the Seahawks (for 3 quarters) and only lost to the 49ers (because this dumb game has 4 quarters instead of 3) thanks to Harry Douglas being the definition of anti-clutch early on and the 49'ers getting away with some big time holding, now that would be interesting. Personally I have 0 doubts this team would have ran all over Joe Blow and his Ravens in the SB. They won in 2010 and comparatively the Falcons roster only got better since then.

Let's take a look

Matt Ryan - HoF
Julio Jones - HoF
Tony Gonzalez - HoF
John "The Predator" Abraham - Right now a bankrupt alcoholic hobo overshadowed by some Bollywood punk. Arguably the biggest reason the Falcons didn't beat the 49'ers was Abraham getting hurt in meaningless game against the Bucs in the last game of the season. Dude WAS the passrush when he was on the Falcons. With a ring his numbers would have gotten some extra attention on a passrush starved team; might have gotten some HoF consideration.
Brent Grimes - Got IR'd first game of the season. Another reason the Falcons didn't take the 49'ers back behind a shed for some whipping. At his peak he was elite, one of the DB's (especially his size) that completely shut down Megatron. If healthy and at his usual contribution during a SB run: HoF.
Asante Samuel - Big contributor that year. HoF lock with any meaningfull contribution past the 49ers game.
Roddy White - Had a sneaky good career. Would have continued to put up numbers in the SB game. Would, sadly, have been gridlocked by the WR que. Should go in regardless imo.
Todd McClure - Maybe.. He was super solid at center and the drop-off to Hawley/Konz basically ruined the 2013 and 2014 Falcons. A ring might at least have had some people talking about him instead of no one at all.

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Eddie George. 10,000+ career rushing yards with over 12,500 all purpose yards, and 2 TD with 125 all purpose yards in the Super Bowl. Old school thumper who has his YPC average held against him, especially with Tennessee running him into the ground.

yeah, this is more likely than mcnair if you ask me