What is a Super Bowl, that if a player had won, they are in the HOF?

TecmoSuperJoe

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Newton IMO might have had a case. OROY, League MVP and a SB trophy along with OPOY, 3 Pro Bowls and a 1st Team All-Pro. I've seen guys in with less but the QB position is tough. 

My standard is "4+ yrs of dominance." I'm not overly familiar with Newton but I feel like he's gotta be close, though I am willing to bend on dominance a little due to his status as being a unicorn - utterly unique player. 

3 hours ago, August4th said:

I don't think Bettis gets in if the Steelers lose SB40

is Vinatieri still a lock if NE does not win the SB vs Rams? feel like half his legacy points came from that SB run

Vinatieri is getting in, NFL records for most career points, field goals made, and attempts among other records. Still a 3X Superbowl champ (if you subtract the one). Great longevity in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

My standard is "4+ yrs of dominance." I'm not overly familiar with Newton but I feel like he's gotta be close, though I am willing to bend on dominance a little due to his status as being a unicorn - utterly unique player. 

He's gonna be an interesting debate, because while he was only a great passer sporadically, his accomplishments as a runner (5400 career yards, 70 TDs) simply can't be ignored. He has a realistic shot this year at climbing into the top-20 all-time in rushing TDs. He's already got more than multiple RBs who are in Canton (Thurman Thomas, Larry Csonka, OJ Simpson and Terrell Davis being among them). 

If he manages to redeem himself at all with the Patriots and extend his career for another 3-4 seasons, i don't think there's any good argument against voting him in. Of course, that's very much an open question. 

20 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

And then Johnson flamed out in Miami. And yes it's different, because one's a player, and the other is a coach. Doesn't mean they both can't have a shooting star effect attached to their legacy. 

I mean he was over 500 and made the playoffs 3 out of 4 years, I wouldn’t say that was a flameout. It doesn’t cancel out creating a dynasty from scratch.

jimmy should’ve been in the hall before he finally got in

Edited by CP3MVP

On 4/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, ET80 said:

Drew Bledsoe? I think no, but it's worthy of discussion... Right?

Bledsoe would be interesting because he'd have the Eli case. Where he finished top 10 in yards and TD's mostly due to era and he'd have a ring against the guy who had 3 consecutive MVP's. He'd have a very big debate imo. 

Is Shaun Alexander in if the Seahawks win Super Bowl 40? 

Is Karl Macklenberg in if the Broncos win Super Bowls 21, 22, or 24? 

Is Joe Theismann in if the Redskins win Super Bowl 18? He would have been a 2x champ, league MVP, and had maestro to one of the most dominant NFL teams ever. And if he had won Super Bowl MVP in that game, I think it really would be hard to keep him out. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

On 4/15/2021 at 7:02 AM, Roninho said:

Sure he has good statistics, but for me Ryan has always been a very good QB but i don't think in his 10-15 years in the league there have been 3 years where he was considered easy a top 3 QB.  I don't see how you can put a guy that is basically never considered top 3 at his position during his career in the HOF unless you do something like Eli did (winning 2 sb's versus the best qb, best hc and an unbeaten team). 

I'll say this the hardest part of keeping Ryan out is if he plays to even a below avg ryan season like 4200 to 4500 yards he avg's 4700 for his career for 5 more years taking him to age 40.   He will be on the verge of passing both brees and brady for most passing yards all time in 2 less seasons played from where they are right now in their career.

How can you tell the #1 passing yards leader in history he doesn't belong in the NFL HOF if that happens?   I honestly don't see a way that you can and with 17 games coming up i don't see it impossible ryan comes close to 5k yard seasons for a few more years.   If Ryan can do 5k seasons with 17 games then in 5 years at age 40 he will have surpassed Brady in total yards where Brady is right now while being 3 years younger and 2 less years played.

Ryan is on an absurd streak and trajectory while actually still being considered very very good in the playoffs.  Where Ryan is actually 3rd all time in total career playoff rating at 100.8 only behind Starr and Warner and ahead of Rodgers and Mahommes.      Considering how god awful ryans 1st few years in the playoffs were in his career before 2012.  It shows just how crazy good he has been from 2012 until now to make up that ground to get to 3rd overall all time in playoff games.

32 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Maybe Steve Smith if Carolina beats New England.  Two first team All-Pro's and the triple crown in 2005.  HOF is tough on WRs though.

I think Smitty still gets in, but this would have fast tracked him.

• Like 2

Setting aside superbowls some of these QBs in the HOF weren’t exactly winners anyway. For example Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are essentially .500 QBs who have never played in a Superbowl. Sonny Jurgensen is in the HOF and he’s under .500 for his career. 

Edited by CP3MVP

On 4/18/2021 at 9:02 AM, EvilenFroggen said:

Maybe Steve Smith if Carolina beats New England.  Two first team All-Pro's and the triple crown in 2005.  HOF is tough on WRs though.

I'd vote him in just for calling himself "Steve Smith Sr."  I loved that!  He also had one of the better TD celebrations ever with his boat party celebration against the Vikings.  He got us on that one.  :D

Going old school, I'd say Vikings DE Jim Marshall is a good example.  He was an integral part of one of the greatest defensive lines in NFL history, and at the time of his retirement he held the records for 270 consecutive games started, and 282 games played, and still holds the career record of 30 fumble recoveries.  He also played in 4 Super Bowls.  In spite of all these accomplishments, he is unfortunately best remembered for one mistake he made: the wrong way run, in which he picked up a fumble and ran the wrong way to the opposing team's end zone.  It was a bad mistake, but people never seem to remember that it was also Jim Marshall who caused the fumble that allowed the Vikings to win that game.  I firmly believe that if the Vikings had been victorious in even one of those 4 Super Bowls, Jim Marshall would be in the Hall of Fame today.  As he should be.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, CP3MVP said:

Setting aside superbowls some of these QBs in the HOF weren’t exactly winners anyway. For example Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are essentially .500 QBs who have never played in a Superbowl. Sonny Jurgensen is in the HOF and he’s under .500 for his career. 

Fouts and Moon were darn good quarterbacks in spite of their teams' won/loss records.  They played in a different era than we are in today, where the QB wasn't as big of a factor overall as they are now.