Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm very confident you're very wrong about this.

People remember moments. Edelman had more. Hell, I repeated this same thing with my mom and she had no idea who megatron was but knew who edelman was, too. I was surprised she knew Edelman but was confident she'd have no clue who megatron was.

CJ is very, very, very much more forgetable than Edelman among casual fans.

I fully disagree with you.

Firstly, I think you people are overestimating that moment. It wasn't so massive of a moment that it will live forever in super bowl lore.

Unless the "moment" is a transcendental moment, people are more likely to remember a broader general story. These Patriots super bowls are and will get blended together. People will remember the story of the comeback. People will remember the story of "Pete Carroll throwing the ball and ending the game"

That's what people will remember from the 3 recent ones

People will remember Brady and those things, they won't remember a great Edelman catch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I fully disagree with you.

Firstly, I think you people are overestimating that moment. It wasn't so massive of a moment that it will live forever in super bowl lore.

Unless the "moment" is a transcendental moment, people are more likely to remember a broader general story. These Patriots super bowls are and will get blended together. People will remember the story of the comeback. People will remember the story of "Pete Carroll throwing the ball and ending the game"

That's what people will remember from the 3 recent ones

People will remember Brady and those things, they won't remember a great Edelman catch. 

The most popular magazine in sports, Sports Illustrated, described it as, “gravity-defying, jaw-dropping, history-making”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/06/super-bowl-51-julian-edelman-miracle-catch

I’m not sure how what’s universally recognized as one of the greatest catches in Super Bowl history isn’t a moment that will forever live in Super Bowl lore - especially considering the context of the come back and the point of the game the catch occurred.

18 hours ago, incognito_man said:

they'll remember the name

unlike Megaton

When the average fan hears the name "Megatron" they probably just think of Transformers tbh. Or they confuse it with the NFL on Fox dancing robot

WigglyDenseGrebe-size_restricted.gif

On 5/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, incognito_man said:

CJ is very, very, very much more forgetable than Edelman among casual fans.

i disagree.

I remember CJ dropping that TD pass that turned out to be a big deal.

That and only that, is what he will be known for down the road

10 hours ago, Malfatron said:

i disagree.

I remember CJ dropping that TD pass that turned out to be a big deal.

That and only that, is what he will be known for down the road

Sadly that actually is probably going to be his most memorable play 

42 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

I find it slightly funny how many people are saying "I would rather have Megatron's" career, when Megatron literally HAD his career and gave it up early because it was depressing.

I'm guessing because the previously cashed seven digit checks had his name on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I'm guessing because the previously cashed seven digit checks had his name on it.

He literally said he didn’t like his situation and was over playing because of it. It’s kinda hard to separate from the question that the subject of the discussion quit due to be unsatisfied with his career and left on bad terms with his team. 

46 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He literally said he didn’t like his situation and was over playing because of it. It’s kinda hard to separate from the question that the subject of the discussion quit due to be unsatisfied with his career and left on bad terms with his team. 

Right, but he already made $125 million at that point.

Can you guarantee he would have retired if say he only made $44 million in his career?

You're acting like $80 million is a few bucks more.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Right, but he already made $125 million at that point.

Can you guarantee he would have retired if say he only made $44 million in his career?

You're acting like $80 million is a few bucks more.

You’re assuming that he was fine retiring because of how much money he had as opposed to what he literally said. How many all timers retire early and leave tens of millions on the table and guarantee they never will have the all time stats to be in the GOAT argument as a result? Randy Moss and  Jerry Rice made a lot of money in their day, they still had to be dragged off the field 

It won't totally even it out, but the endorsements available thanks to a longer career on a winning team and a Superbowl MVP probably close the income gap quite a bit.

Another consideration is the nature and affection of fanbases. Edelman will basically eat for free in Boston for the rest of his life. He will be greeted fondly on the street every single day, adored by millions of Pats fans and waltz into the Patriot Hall of Fame with a standing ovation at Gillette.

Maybe not ALL Detroit fans will be bitter about Calvin opting out early because he lost his desire, but there will be a sizable number who are. Especially considering the Lions went 9-7 the year following Calvin's retirement, had he stayed and made the difference in a couple of games, they'd have been 11-5 won their division and even got a home play-off game.

There's an argument that being appreciated for giving your all is a much better legacy than being remembered as a quitter who left the team just when they might have been turning a corner.

Edited by ChazStandard