NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

On 4/28/2021 at 1:57 PM, GSUeagles14 said:
On 4/28/2021 at 11:24 AM, ET80 said:

I remember I liked the chicken jambalaya pasta, but agree. A bit overrated, IMO.

Blasphemy. Their cheesecake is delicious.

They discontinued their chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake. I’m incredulous and am currently holding a grudge.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:00 PM, ET80 said:

Oh, VY...

- He averaged about $5,000 a week at Cheesecake Factory... One meal came out to $15,000.

- During training camp, VY would run up $6,000 tabs at TGI Fridays. He'd invite several team members, they'd sit at the bar and empty the place out. Bartenders would get $2-3k tips out of it.

- Once, VY didn't feel like dealing with other passengers on a flight to Houston, so he bought every single ticket on the flight; 140 seats at a conservative $250/ticket comes out to $35,000.

(For reference, renting a Lear jet for a single flight comes out to about $10,000. A NetJets account is about $9,600 for 50 hours of flight time. So, VY could have rented a Lear, used the WiFi on that flight to sign up for NetJets, and STILL had enough left over for three weeks worth of dinners at Cheesecake Factory).

And here I have my answer.  Incredible!  At first you shake your head and want to laugh, but at the same time, it's just tragic.  

I hope Deshaun can get himself out of the mess he's in and turn his life around.  It's starting to look like that becomes less of a possibility with every passing day.  :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

That's a bad take. You're trying to pigeonhole Megatron's whole argument as being money based.. It's actually more like:

"Would you rather have the legacy of being one of the greatest of all time, but on a bad team?"

or

"Would you rather be above average but win 3 rings?"

That's swinging it too far in the other way. 

It's would you rather be a HOF'er who is one of the greatest ever on a bad team that really didn't make a post season impact or would you rather be above average but win 3 championships and be a post season highlight reel and impact the game in the post season in a way few at your position have. Basically Dan Marino or Eli Manning. 

I mean between these two guys only one cited dissapointment with his team and their lack of a success as wearing him down emotionally so he retired early. 

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

You're underselling Edelman to prop up Megatron

It should go: 

"Would you rather have the legacy of being one of the greatest of all time, but on a bad team?"

or

Would you rather be above average but win 3 rings? "Would you rather be average, but have one the greatest of all time WR post season resume's with 3 rings?"

Edit: And thinking about it I wouldn’t classify Edelman as average. I always viewed him as a good player

"above average WR with 3 rings" is an extremely appropriate level of selling of Julian Edelman

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

New money.  A lot of time they don't understand what real money is.

As Chris Rock said, there is a difference between being rich and being wealthy. Lot's of people become rich then poor again. Wealth is knowing that decades after you are dead your successors can just live comfortable off the interest forever. Most athletes are rich but it's going to last one or two generations at most and that's it. 

If Bill Gates woke up with the same amount of money in the bank as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning he'd jump out a window because to him that would be so much closer to poor than he's used to

• Like 1

Just now, lancerman said:

As Chris Rock said, there is a difference between being rich and being wealthy. Lot's of people become rich then poor again. Wealth is knowing that decades after you are dead your successors can just live comfortable off the interest forever. Most athletes are rich but it's going to last one or two generations at most and that's it. 

If Bill Gates woke up with the same amount of money in the bank as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning he'd jump out a window because to him that would be so much closer to poor than he's used to

I love Chris Rock. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

"above average WR with 3 rings" is an extremely appropriate level of selling of Julian Edelman

Not really. It's underselling to make your point. First off on Calvin saying "one of the best of all time" implies he's in the discussion for best of all time. He's clearly not. Nobody would ever say he had a career better than Jerry Rice, TO, Randy Moss, Don Hutson, or Lance Aleworth and that's not even taking into account the biggest knock on him which is his lack of longevity where he isn't in the top 30 in all time yards, isn't in the top 20 in all time TD's, and not in the top 40 in all time receptions. He's an all time great peak but not an all time great career. He's far closer to being Terrell Davis or Sterling Sharpe than he is to being Barry Sanders or Jerry Rice. That's the first point. 

Meanwhile the guy you limited to "above average with the 3 rings" is also 2nd all time in post season yards and receptions only behind Jerry Rice, is one of only 7 WR's to win a SB MVP, and then in his other two games had the game winning catch and one of the greatest catches in SB history that wll be remembered more than most catches in most other players careers. He's one of the most prolific playoff receivers ever

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

That Edelman catch isn't that memorable.

I'm in TX surrounded by fans of 4-5 different teams and I'm guessing not one would remember it offhand.

Is there any catch they would remember offhand?

23 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Is there any catch they would remember offhand?

David Tyree is the type of catch that EVERYBODY remembers

I actually have no clue what catch everyone is talking about with Edelman

9 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Googled it.. obviously a great concentration catch, but not something that is forever in the zeitgeist of unforgettable plays

It's forever in the zeitgeist of greatest Super Bowl catches of all time, there's really no denying that tbh