Julian Edelman vs Calvin Johnson

NeptunePenguins

Which career was better  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Edelman or Johnson?

• Edelman
    • Johnson

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. This is exactly right. People base their recollection on only a few memorable moments. I'm not sure CJ had enough of those. If you ask a very casual fan to list as many NFL WRs as they can (even today), I think Calvin Johnson is pretttttty far down that list even with the benefit of recency bias.

I don't agree with this. Maybe they don't remember Calvin Johnson, but you say Megatron? People will remember the WR from Detroit.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't agree with this. Maybe they don't remember Calvin Johnson, but you say Megatron? People will remember the WR from Detroit.

I decided to test this. I was in the middle of a convo w/ my ex about kids' swim lessons:

Me: "When I say the name Megaton, what do you think of?"

Her: "Megatron...some sort of terminator type movie"

Me: "What about the name Julian Edelman"

Her: "Patriot wide receiver, a fav of Tom brady's"

Her: "Right?"

Me: "Yes indeed!"

She played years of fantasy football in the middle of CJ's prime as well, lol

I'm telling ya man, nobody will remember him. And that's because he didn't play in any important games or have important moments.

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yet, I don't see you talking about Marcus Allen - MVP of SB19.

Appreciate you proving my point.

So, an All Decade, HoF WR who currently holds the single season yardage record isn't going to be remembered? Only hardcore fans are going to recall one of the 22 best players from the 00s? 

I remember Sharpe, but he didn't come close to achieving All Decade status or HoF status. He was on his way prior to injury, but... Injuries are a thing.

(People also have a tendency to remember his more outspoken brother).

This... is a pretty bad take. You're ignoring a LOT of what Megatron did, simply because it doesn't frame your argument correctly.

I didn't watch SB 19? So what's your point? Are you trying to argue that the average fan or even average casual fan doesn't know who Edelman is? Because I can tell you that you'd be pretty wrong. 

Also once again, you are making a strawman. Nobody is saying Calvin Johnson won't be remembered. That's a made up thing you created in your head. However acting like Edelman is some guy that is going to be forgotten is foolish. But he'll be remembered the same way Sterling Sharpe was, one of the greatest peaks ever, possibly could have made a case for greatest ever if he didn't end his career early (btw he sited dissapointment with his situation for ending his career).Also btw the reason Sterling didn't make all Decade was because Rice played the whole decade and guys with rings who were worse like Michael Irven got precedence.

Nobody is ignorining what Calvin did. This is silly. It's different discussions. Edelman's argument here is about accolades and moments on a big stage and Calvin's is about pure talent. Nobody denies Calvin his talent. But people value those championship accolades as well. Jerry Rice talks about his championships more than his stats and uses it against players like Moss. Moss chased rings the last half of his career and was dissapointed he never got one. TO's most famous moment is playing well in a SB loss. Dan Marino said he would trade all his stats away to get a ring. Eli Manning is a borderline HOF'er because he got to rings. Roger Craig would not be remotely remembered if he was on the 1980's Saints instead of the 49'ers when they won titles. So it's disengenous to say it doesn't matter whatsoever. It matters quite a bit to alot of megastars in the sport. There's a reason Calvin was over playing and dissapointed floundering in Detroit and his career ended unceremoniously with bitter feelings towards his employer and why Edelman who isn't half the player still made major news for retiring and got a heroes send off.

And I could turn that around and say there's alot of people on here acting like Edelman was some mediocre average no name that happened to be on the Patriots when they won rings instead of being the number one receiver of dynasty and having the most prolific receiving run in the playoffs of his era, who was a major fixture and crucial piece in 3 SB wins. That's happening a lot more in this thread. 

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I decided to test this. I was in the middle of a convo w/ my ex about kids' swim lessons:

I'm telling ya man, nobody will remember him. And that's because he didn't play in any important games or have important moments.

You don't even need to do a thought experiment. Take hardcore football fans out of it because they know both guys. It's the guy that got the game winning catch in the most watched game of all time, who got the crazy all time memorable catch in the 5th most watched game of all time, was the SB MVP in another one of the most watched games of all time. Who also btw was in 7 of the conference title games in the last decade usually as the number 1 receiver for the team. All of which were more watched games nationally than any game Calvin Johnson ever played in. And in those games besides Brady and Gronk, Edelman was the next most high profile guy in terms of being a known star on the team.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

unless he was listed as Megatron during the drafts, it's not hard to figure out why she doesn't know the name.

Just like if you said squirrel or minitron it'd be deer in headlights.

I has lots to reply to

1. Marcus Allen was the MVP of the Dolphins vs 49ers Super Bowl? Oof, I thought he was a Raider

2. Oh, it was 18 not 19, but I do hear a lot from Raider's fans about Allen, then again the dude is a Hall of Famer unlike Edelman. Edelman is more like a Malcolm Smith or a worse version of Hines Ward. 

8 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

unless he was listed as Megatron during the drafts, it's not hard to figure out why she doesn't know the name.

Just like if you said squirrel or minitron it'd be deer in headlights.

@ET80said: I don't agree with this. Maybe they don't remember Calvin Johnson, but you say Megatron? People will remember the WR from Detroit.

you two need to figure this out and them lemme know

Edited by incognito_man

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

Why are you trying to throw away one of the greatest WR seasons of all time???

Receivers who have broken 1,900 yards:

1. Calvin Johnson
  2. END OF LIST

Receivers who have broken 1,600 yards twice:

1. Calvin Johnson
  2. Julio Jones
  3. Antonio Brown
  4. Marvin Harrison
  5. Torry Holt

Receivers who have had 5,000 yards over a 3 year period:

1. Calvin Johnson
  2. Antonio Brown
  3. END OF LIST

This is the proof that he had an argument for the best 2-3 peak of all time.

It wasn't short lived (2 year) thing either - it was his entire career. His rookie season was his only season under 70 YPG. Calvin's average yards per game for the entirety of his career was 86 YPG. Only Julio Jones is higher.

Outside of those two years you want to throw away, he had five more years over 1,000 including seasons over 1,200, 1,300, and 1,400

It's correct to say that he didn't have 15 elite seasons. But his 9 seasons stack up against anyone in NFL history. Only Julio Jones, Torry Holt, and Jerry Rice had more yards in his first 9 seasons

You can't write off Calvin as a "two year wonder"

Never said he was a 2 year wonder

He had 7 pretty standard WR1 seasons and 2 "special" seasons

And quit playing because he got sick of losing, something he did his entire career

As far as a career goes, he hated playing so much he quit early

Edelman had to be dragged off the field

Edited by TheGame316

The problem is that the OP is asking different questions.

"Whose career was better?" is usually going to be interpreted as who was the better player. Answer is Calvin Johnson without a doubt.

"Whose career would you rather have?" is a different question and probably even Johnson himself would say Edelman. 

• Like 1

I agree we’ve veered in so many different directions

but someone should set a !remindme clock so that in 10 years they can make a thread “who do you remember better: Calvin Johnson or Julian Edelman?”

Then after the polls come back 90:10 in favor of Calvin, we can link this thread and we can all reminisce on this lunacy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I agree we’ve veered in so many different directions

but someone should set a !remindme clock so that in 10 years they can make a thread “who do you remember better: Calvin Johnson or Julian Edelman?”

Then after the polls come back 90:10 in favor of Calvin, we can link this thread and we can all reminisce on this lunacy

You realize the question from the OP wasn't "Who will be remembered more in 10 years?"

right?

7 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

You realize the question from the OP wasn't "Who will be remembered more in 10 years?"

right?

You realize this thread is 16 pages

right?

The conversation has morphed and literally in the past two pages people have pivoted to talking about how Calvin will be forgotten and Edelman will be remembered

My post was directly relevant to the conversation

• Like 1

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's been six years since Calvin played - I'm not saying he's unforgettable, I'm saying he's less forgettable than Edelman.

Ask this question in six years, see if she remembers Edelman. I'd wager nobody outside of the Boston area will remember him.

• Like 1