First 'whoa' pick?

minutemancl

There are always a few super surprise picks in the first round, but the placement of the first one always varies. And for clarification sake, I'm talking about players that were almost never mocked at a given spot that are totally out of left field. For instance, we sometimes get them very early, like Clelin Ferrel at 4 to the Raiders, Daniel Jones at 6 to the Giants, and Trubisky at 2 to the Bears with a trade up. We sometimes get them relatively late, like I think the first 'whoa' pick in last year's draft was Damon Arnette at 19. When do we see the first 'whoa' pick that we never saw coming, and who makes the pick and who is it?

I think this year's comes relatively late. I think we see some combination of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Sewell, Smith, Chase, Pitts, Slater, Parsons, Surtain in the top-10, with maybe a few other guys having the potential to sneak in that wouldn't be completely unexpected (Mac Jones, Horn possibly, Waddle). I truly think the first 'woah' pick is whatever the Giants do at 11. I think there is a decent chance Azeez Ojulari or Jayson Oweh is the pick at 11, which would absolutely be a surprise.

21 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

One I think is possible is that Liam Eichenberg is the 4th OT off the board after Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw, somewhere in the 17-21 range.

Fascinated how people view Eichenberg come draft day and after. I think two starting tackles had under 33" arms last year. Uphill battle. 

58 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My first "whoa" is that Mac Jones goes into free-fall mode.

As for "whoa" pick, I think Oweh goes Top 15.

Just as long as he doesn't go top 22.

Oweh seems like a good bet for it.  It'll certainly tell us which teams only care about measurables.  And I can say with 100% certainty that he'll be drafted way earlier than I think he should be.

I think the first real opportunity for surprise will be pick 6.  We know 1-3 (and in the end, probably 1-4) will be QBs.  Then the Bengals will either pick Chase or Sewell.  Sewell seems almost a lock though.  I don't forsee the Dolphins taking anyone that isn't Pitts or Chase, but it's possible.

I think there will be a lot of surprises in the latter half though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Just as long as he doesn't go top 22.

Oweh seems like a good bet for it.  It'll certainly tell us which teams only care about measurables.  And I can say with 100% certainty that he'll be drafted way earlier than I think he should be.

I think the first real opportunity for surprise will be pick 6.  We know 1-3 (and in the end, probably 1-4) will be QBs.  Then the Bengals will either pick Chase or Sewell.  Sewell seems almost a lock though.  I don't forsee the Dolphins taking anyone that isn't Pitts or Chase, but it's possible.

I think there will be a lot of surprises in the latter half though. 

If the Dolphins stay at 6 and take Parsons, do you think that would constitute a surprise? I think there is a decent chance Parsons is their guy; to me, they traded back up to 6 for Parsons or Smith, I just don't know which one.

Just now, minutemancl said:

If the Dolphins stay at 6 and take Parsons, do you think that would constitute a surprise? I think there is a decent chance Parsons is their guy; to me, they traded back up to 6 for Parsons or Smith, I just don't know which one.

I'd be surprised, but I don't think that level of surprise constitutes a 'whoa.'

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I wouldn't be super surprised if only because I think that there's a real shot that he would go at 9 (not a lock, of course, but a real shot) so if he's a guy you want, you have to pick him there. Can't really trade down. 

27 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

bengals drafting Pitts or Chase

Bengals local beat-writers think it's almost assuredly going to be Chase and have for weeks now, so that one wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, anyone other than Chase would get the "woah" from me at this point with how much smoke there's been. 

6 minutes ago, BRANDON26841X said:

Bengals local beat-writers think it's almost assuredly going to be Chase and have for weeks now, so that one wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, anyone other than Chase would get the "woah" from me at this point with how much smoke there's been. 

probably be a great pick too, and the media will roast them. Chase could be a superstar, plus connection with Burrow. Chase, Higgins, Boyd with Burrow would be amazing. Sewell ceiling might be limited to his short arms, could draft OL in rounds 2 and 3. Jonah Williams is already there as a LT,  could be alot of options in round 2. 

• Like 1