Orlando Brown Traded to the KC Chiefs

baltimoreRebel

4 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Then again maybe EDC has actually just ridden the coattails of Ozzie and then Lamar for his whole career... 

EDC was the one who forced the trade for Lamar through though, according to Ozzie himself.... Seems only right his reputation benefits from the QB he facilitated us getting. 

QB: Lamar Jackson(Decision/Draft)

HB: JK Dobbins(Draft)

WR: Marquise Brown(Draft)

KR/PR: Devin Duvernay(Draft)

EDGE: Pernell McPhee(FA) - Jihad Ward(FA) - Yannick Ngakoue(Trade)

DI: Calais Campbell(Trade) - Derek Wolfe - Justin Madubuike

ILB: LJ Fort(FA) - Patrick Queen(Draft) - Malik Harrison(Draft)

CB: Marcus Peters(Trade)

^^^^EDC can claim all of the above. And that's not even including some of the magnificent team friendly extensions he pulled off. EX: Chuck Clark who will have a cap hit under 4 million this season, one of the best young safeties and smartest defenders in the league. 

You can argue over moves here and there, but there's just no damning evidence that points to EDC being anything less than at least a good GM at this point. 

I don't like the value we got for Orlando either, or that we sent him to the Chiefs- but there's no reason to believe there was a better offer out there. 

It's one of the best and deepest Tackle classes of the past 10 years, the fat dope comes out and publicly says he only wants to play LT- before he's officially on the market... immediately eliminating potential suitors(While asking for a max deal), and 31 teams didn't pick him through two and a half rounds just 3 years ago because they believed he had work ethic and weight issues to go with his historically awful testing numbers(And while here when he thought he had a starting position clinched entering his sophomore season he failed our conditioning test putting him in Harbs' doghouse). Not to mention there's a belief/perception that our offense protects or covers up his vulnerabilities. Plus, he clearly didn't want to be here. 

Here's how we viewed it- 'Ravens shopping young franchise & Pro Bowl LT/RT'

Here's how the league might have viewed it- 'Lauded trade rapist Eric Decosta is shopping a max contract desiring part time 3rd Round Left Tackle up ahead of a deep draft that will have countless starting caliber Tackles available on Rookie deals. He doesn't want to play for the Super Bowl contender Ravens in 2021(And they can't afford him anyway in the future because of the looming Lamar deal), the team his father played for, who are known for having some of the strongest culture, coaching, and pedigree league wide(Also maybe the most OL friendly team in history with how often they run the ball). He had issues with his conditioning during his Rookie deal with the Ravens, but you can go ahead and gamble on your culture keeping him in top shape while paying him close to 20 Mill or above it. You can also gamble on him fitting your system as well as he did the Ravens' too.'

^^^^^^^^^^^When viewing the situation the 2nd way the deal doesn't seem as strange.

Sometimes you just can't know how an entity is viewed around the league. We got a Mid-Late 2nd for essentially a 27 Y/O 3rd String TE in Hayden Hurst and we were able to trade a late 3rd for a suspected franchise pass rusher that was 25 Y/O in Yannick Ngakoue. Also, David Culley is going to be a Head Coach in 2021..........  As I said, there's just some unknowable aspects to these things. 

We replaced a player we weren't going to pay and who didn't want to play for us with valuable picks. That's the bottom line. And it should be noted that Orlando doesn't render the Chiefs that much better than when we played against them with Eric Fisher as their starting LT. If we're capable of beating them, an upgrade at LT won't change that. Just as a downgrade at LT and RT when we lost Ronnie Stanley and had to move over Orlando didn't rob us of being able to defeat the Titans when we couldn't previously. I wouldn't place OBJ's potential as sky high either. He's not pulling any major progression out of his trash athleticism and 6'8 355 LB humans involved in sports are already asking a lot of their bodies. He's not turning into Jonathan Ogden, and he's not on the Stanley, Tunsil, Armstead, Bahktiari, Williams, etc level as is. Though I'm sure he'll be pursuing that kind of money.

If EDC drafts Kardarius Toney or something I'll have some heavy criticism for him. Until I see something like that though, I'm fine. Plus all of this vitriol for Decosta really REALLY lets our offensive coaches off the hook. Roman, Culley, and whoever else played a major part in the 2020 offense are this club's true villains. There's no way around that. Play design, structure, calls, everything was an issue. We had multiple key players on that side of the ball show significant regression too. That's where my heat is directed. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Why are Madubuike and Harrison already considered good picks? Neither one has done anything yet.

Okay let's use your logic. If you don't view them as "good" yet. How the heck can you consider them bad and use them against EDC in his limited run of drafting? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Why are Madubuike and Harrison already considered good picks? Neither one has done anything yet.

If you can't recognize or are unaware of what Madubuike did last year then you have no right to criticize Decosta's drafting. He's one of the reasons we crushed the Titans running game and he consistently flashed elite ability and upside as the season went on. Against top flight IOL cores like the Browns' too. Pleading ignorance on him is straight up telling on yourself. 

Malik Harrison also helped against teams like the Titans with his contributions against the run, but flashed versatility in coverage too. I listed him mostly because he rounds out the impressive LB core EDC built in just 2 Seasons, but he has monster potential as well. Stellar athletic profile.

Just look at our young beast take on Quentin Nelson as a Rookie 💪-

Both players could've been picked in the 2nd or even 1st in Madubuike's(A lot of Late 1/Early 2nd Grades on him) case, and no one would've batted an eye but EDC snagged them in the 3rd. Honestly if you're looking to build a case against Decosta in some way, I'd avoid the 2020 draft class as a talking point. Bro kind of went off with his first 5 picks. Plus Duvernay is a beast return man, but if the coaching staff actually uses him on offense that pick will look even better too.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Okay let's use your logic. If you don't view them as "good" yet. How the heck can you consider them bad and use them against EDC in his limited run of drafting? 

I didn’t say they were bad. I actually do think Madubuike will be good. Harrison not so much but I don’t consider him a failed pick. 

You DeCosta fans are like a cult.

3 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

He's been GM for 2 seasons 😂...

Feels like it may be a tad too soon to label people who don't want a successful by any rational standards GM to be fired- a cult.

"I'm telling you...you hive mind freaks, your Decosta propaganda ends here!!"

Resident Evil 4

"It should've been Joe Hortiz!!!"

Resident Evil 4 edition_ | Shots Fired | Know Your Meme

lol Our fans rule 🤣. Bunch of F'n lunatics. I hope we really do fire EDC now for the goof, and hire someone wacky like Mel Kiper or some sh$t. It's what we deserve. That and all of our home crowds manically calling for Tyler Huntley to be QB1. Every home game "The Hunt should start, Jackson should depart!!" "The Hunt should start, Jackson should depart!!"  all at record breaking decibels while our offense is actually on the field. A Harbaugh adultery scandal would be lit too. Let's show 2021 who's boss. 

• Like 1

I've seen a lot more Ravens fans who feel ED is an elite GM than who doubt him. While I think he will be good and there's nothing to make me think we look at replacing him in the near to medium future, as I said before, this is a key year for him to get some hits in the draft (and have guys from prior drafts take a leap) in terms of his reputation/standing.

56 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I didn’t say they were bad. I actually do think Madubuike will be good. Harrison not so much but I don’t consider him a failed pick. 

When your argument relies on you wondering if others are in a cult? Maybe it's time for a little self reflection when it comes to your theory 

I mean I consider the EDC and Ozzie as the same entity over the last 10 years. EDC was groomed by one of the best to ever do it and I think that needs to be respected. In my opinion he will keep this roster strong as long as he's calling the shots.

For people who think Ozzie is great and DeCosta is a scrub, I think they are confused about what they actually do.

Ozzie's greatness is due to the whole system of scouting and development that he created. He build the infrastructure, and let it run its course. He's not some mad genius or savant who intuitively can sense which players can be stars. He trains his scouts to look for traits that work well with what the coaches are looking to implement. 

DeCosta's role is to keep maintaining and refining the infrastructure. Ozzie is still Executive VP of the Ravens, for crying out loud. The idea that there is some huge shift in how the Ravens are scouting under EDC vs Ozzie is pretty silly, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2021 at 12:42 PM, Letsch80 said:

It's a fair deal and to be honest there wouldn't have been a deal without that 2nd so... You seriously think the Chiefs would have given us a 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Brown and a 6th?

@RavensfanRD understood what I meant I’m sure.

I wasn’t referring to removing a 2nd and keeping everything else. That was a false interpretation. I was stating if we had taken off the 3rd & 4th and just kept the 2nd.

The analytics would have the 3rd & 4th outweigh the 2nd in trade value- and I believe they do, however we could’ve used the 2nd in a trade down to obtain more overall value IMO.

The Harvard TVC would weigh our Chiefs deal more favorably than if we had retained our 2nd round pick instead. Whereas I think having the 2nd provides more overall flexibility, even if I value the 3rd and 4th more highly than the 2nd within a vacuum, I think within an actual draft the 2nd would provide more potential value (perhaps allowing us to get a higher 3rd round and 4th round pick), though I’m not mad for already extracting the additional value... as there’s no guarantee that we could’ve actually extracted the additional value if the draft didn’t work out in our favor.

• Like 1

I trust the process on the trade. The tough pill to swallow is helping the chiefs but I think compiling draft picks is the way to go with impending contracts looming for Lamar and Mark Andrews (who I initially thought we’d lose but I think with the way the offseason workouts are going the ravens will want to keep Mandrews around).

ideally we trade down with one of our first round picks and get a future right tackle to replace Orlando Brown and another player out of it in a later round. Gotta’ respect that hustle if it works out. 

35 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I actually agree that it's a bit premature to consider Madubuike a good draft pick (although its certainly looking like he will be).  And its definitely way too early to say that about Harrison ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree here. I said the jury was still out. 

Madubuike has been receiving super high praise from his fellow linemen. They normally don't go out of their way to do so. He has shown flashes though. 

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

I actually agree that it's a bit premature to consider Madubuike a good draft pick (although its certainly looking like he will be).  And its definitely way too early to say that about Harrison ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not when we're forced to immediately evaluate picks to determine whether EDC is a capable GM it's not. Of course normally it's silly to talk in absolutes about anything this early, but that's where we're at with this whole thing apparently.

Madubuike and Harrison were both drafted to raise the overall ceiling of our Front 7, and help fix issues that led to our defeat against the Browns & Titans the previous season. Both did just that. So through the lens of 'Let's nonsensically and immediately pass judgement on everything EDC has done within his window" they do get labeled as 'Good Picks' right now imo- certainly under these circumstances.

6 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

ideally we trade down with one of our first round picks and get a future right tackle to replace Orlando Brown and another player out of it in a later round. Gotta’ respect that hustle if it works out. 

I think a trade down from one of the picks and the selection of at least 2 Offensive Tackles is a really smart bet for the draft.

• Like 1