The Car Thread

Dome

Pic of my car. I've since tinted the windows and blacked out the bow ties. Only thing left I really want to do is install a cold air intake to give it a little more power. 

This pic was taken in Stone Mountain Georgia.

2016_Camaro_RS.jpg

Edited by TENINCH

13 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Pic of my car. I've since tinted the windows and blacked out the bow ties. Only thing left I really want to do is install a cold air intake. This pic was taken in Stone Mountain Georgia.

2016_Camaro_RS.jpg

No exhaust?  Ecu tune?

I love my exhaust.  That's a little 2.0 Turbo 4-cyl.

Closed Valve - https://youtu.be/c87XV9t9QzI

Open Valve - https://youtu.be/UWjGUppD5hw

If you have a V8, it would sound much more beastly.  Drove a 5.0 GT recently and can't imagine it louder, but I would upgrade the exhaust.

6 hours ago, jonu62882 said:

No exhaust?  Ecu tune?

I love my exhaust.  That's a little 2.0 Turbo 4-cyl.

Closed Valve - https://youtu.be/c87XV9t9QzI

Open Valve - https://youtu.be/UWjGUppD5hw

If you have a V8, it would sound much more beastly.  Drove a 5.0 GT recently and can't imagine it louder, but I would upgrade the exhaust.

It's just a V6 so I'm not going to put too much into it.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, SemperFeist said:

if0ra8.jpg

After 4 years she's finally done. Rolled out to her first car show yesterday!

Beautiful. I remember when you posted a picture of this thing on jacks. Turned out great!!

On 7/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, domepatrol91 said:

My brother in law is finishing up automotive school soon. He and I want to get a project car going, the idea is I fund the build and he teaches me how to do everything. He's got the tools and know how, I've got an empty garage and want to learn some stuff without going to school for it.

We've narrowed it down to a few choices.

• Crown Vic Police Interceptor, cause a Maurader is out of our price range. These things are so much fun to drive, would be a really fun autocrosser for non-competitors.
  • Lifted Subaru Snow machine, this one could already be in the works w/ my current commuter. 
  • Toyota wheeler, but these things are already overdone around here.
  • Mazda Miata for auto-x
  • Baja Bug
  • Muscle truck

We want to spend 2-3k on a vehicle and 5-6k overall on the project. Obviously the Subaru would be much cheaper, cause I already own it.

I reject your options and substitute my own.

Do up an old BMW 3-series for auto-x, instead of a Miata or Mustang.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to get into doing work on my own car. I took auto shop in high school and like working with my hands, but never had a living situation where I had a place to work on a car until now. Any recommendations re: floor jack/stands vs. ramps? or other general advice?

Also, I drive an 06 Focus now that serves me fine for my city driving needs, but I'm thinking of picking up a 3rd gen (~'99) 4runner for more a more adventure-capable vehicle (also my wife is graduating this winter and we think it would make life easier to have 2 vehicles once she's out of school). I'm not super interested in off-roading for its own sake but my hobby is wildlife photography and I'd like something that can take me a little further than the Focus can on rocky/snowy roads in the mountains or out in remote areas. I've thought about a pickup but having enough comfortable cabin space for road trips with friends beats out cargo needs, which are usually fairly low. Any advice in this area?

On 8/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Cakeshoppe said:

I'd like to get into doing work on my own car. I took auto shop in high school and like working with my hands, but never had a living situation where I had a place to work on a car until now. Any recommendations re: floor jack/stands vs. ramps? or other general advice?

Also, I drive an 06 Focus now that serves me fine for my city driving needs, but I'm thinking of picking up a 3rd gen (~'99) 4runner for more a more adventure-capable vehicle (also my wife is graduating this winter and we think it would make life easier to have 2 vehicles once she's out of school). I'm not super interested in off-roading for its own sake but my hobby is wildlife photography and I'd like something that can take me a little further than the Focus can on rocky/snowy roads in the mountains or out in remote areas. I've thought about a pickup but having enough comfortable cabin space for road trips with friends beats out cargo needs, which are usually fairly low. Any advice in this area?

Ramps are the worst.  Don't get ramps.  That's my advice on that.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Cakeshoppe said:

FWIW, I was looking into SUVs like the 4runner around the same MY. The Toyotas are a lot more expensive than the other SUVs from that time period. It's understandable because they're very reliable, but the price tag on a lot of them surprised the heck out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be selling my 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat here pretty soon. Getting tired of the 12mpg and with me heading to grad school soon with the possibility of a daily commute wherever I go I'd much rather have something a little more gas friendly. 

Not too sure but hoping I can get between $7,000-$8,000 for my truck and use that to buy a 2008-2011 Ford Escape. Better gas mileage while still allowing me to haul small things if necessary and I'd like to the 4WD/AWD for the snow, etc. 

Anyone have any experience with Ford Escapes? Personally wouldn't mind going the Manual route as that's what I learned on and loved it but they seem to be harder to find. 

Any tips are much appreciated!