Broncos trade 6th round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

broncosfan07

4 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Cecil Lammey is speculating that DET may still have interest in Drew Lock and a Lock + 9 could net us 7, if Fields is still there. If that is viable, it really makes this trade more viable IMO. If not, seem like a stop-gap move to me, it does provide QB competition just as Paton said. 

Cecil Lammey is a hack. 

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It better not lol Teddy Bridgewater is the same as Case Keenum or Tyrod Taylor but he hasn't been completely traded around the NFL yet like those other two.

No.  This isn't the same.  Who ever backups for Tyrod Taylor eventually goes on to start, and once they do, they never give up the job, and become Pro Bowlers.  I wanted Tryod for this reason, and this reason alone.  Then Luck would have gone to quarterback the Broncos to a 12-5 season, or Fields would have quarterbacked the team to a 16-1 season.  

6 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Good move all things consider - just hope we are still in play for a QB tomorrow if one of our guys falls past 3

This would have really excited me had it been last year.  I like Teddy and thought he was really rising until his injury.  Thought he would do real good in Carolina but I guess that wasn't really his fault as Mcaffrey was basically out all year and what do they have one wr? It was a garbage situation to be in and frankly I should have spotted that.  Teddy clearly isn't the salvation but if he does better because we are better it puts us at around .500 and that doesn't do anything for us either.  A good move but hope it doesn't preclude us from going qb high if one is there.  PS Mike Silver is in Denver today.  He talked to Paton who apparently likes all the top five qbs but also says he would like to get a haul for pick 9 - guess 4 teams have already inquired............  

What's the shoot for the moon ceiling on this trade? From what I watched Teddy looked decent last year all things considered. Now he didn't have mcafree most of the year, and is matt thule proven at an nfl level? 

Teddy's comebacks in the 4th quarter last year think he was 0-8 which is brutal but how much is that matt rhule? 

At minimum teddy can mentor whoever we bring in.

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

Either we have 2 QBs who at best probably lead us to 7-9 can be moved on from next season or Teddy is a bridge for a rookie and Lock is done.

Not a terrible deal but Bridgewater is nothing great.

Correct.   He's insurance for 2021 if Lock fails to progress.   He also has no 2022 dead money.

Long-term, he's not the answer.    But if we want to truly compete in a sustainable way for the division, and then go deep in the playoffs, neither guy is the answer.   This just gives a real option for 2021 in case Lock shows he's not the guy - and if Paton lands a rookie, he's got a real mentor on the roster.    Lock wasn't ever going to be the mentor.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see our long-term solution on the roster today.  But I'm OK with this - because this move doesn't restrict Paton in any way.  He can go rookie Rd1 now and have a legit mentor.   He can go Watson/Wilson (and in the unlikely even Watson gets cleared before the season, he doesn't have to wait, either) or attack Rd1 2022 if he's got 2 1sts (the ideal trade-back scenario).   This says more about Lock's security (or lack thereof) with Paton IMO.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I think this trade is an inditement on Lock for sure though you don't trade for a qb the day before the draft if you're confident drew developes.

Also, a 6th rounder is nothing to play coy during the draft if this saves paton from mortgaging high picks to trade up I'm all for it. Hopefully everyone talks this trade until we're on the clock tomorrow and we have two QBs to pick from.

I would rather have a Fields, Lock, Bridgewater dilemma going into camp.  If none of those three work, then trade for Rogers next year, or mortgage the team for Wilson, and then never draft a QB ever again...just sign the aging, Super Bowl seeking super start QB. 

• Like 1