Broncos trade 6th round pick for Teddy Bridgewater

broncosfan07

Don't see this as a big game-changer either way - because at 3M, and no 2022 dead money, it's not like GM Paton is committing to anyone either way.    

If Paton wants a Rd1 QB, Lock gets traded.     If he trades back, the same option for Watson/Wilson/Rd1 2022 holds (especially if a trade back for 2022 high-end picks happens).

The $ and Rd6 pick commit just means Paton won't be left with just Lock alone for 2022.  That was a necessity.   If he's still in on a Rd1 QB that's there or available at the right price to move up - Bridgewater becomes the mentor.   I think whether Lock succeeds or fails, it's pretty clear he doesn't really fit the "rookie mentor" QB, either.   Bridgewater really covers all the angles - Rd1 rookie mentor, or viable actual 2021 starter if Lock's failure to progress continues.  He just isn't the long-term answer to compete in the AFCW with KC/LAC, but we've not really paid enough to sweat about it, other.

• Like 1

Teddy Bridgewater is that bad that another team is willing to pay $7MM for him to NOT play for them.  

I gotta say...another boon for Paton.  You got another team to pay more than half of your current player's salary. 

Edited by jsthomp2007

Cecil Lammey is speculating that DET may still have interest in Drew Lock and a Lock + 9 could net us 7, if Fields is still there. If that is viable, it really makes this trade more viable IMO. If not, seem like a stop-gap move to me, it does provide QB competition just as Paton said.