Baltimore Ravens 2021 1st Round Pick - Pick 31 - Odafe Jayson Oweh EDGE Penn State

drd23

3 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

wasn't Williams supposed to be a really athletic guy coming out also? w/e, sure hope Oweh is a hit.

He was a DPR at Bama. Had a good feel for pass rush(Snap Anticipation), solid balance, hot motor, and some burst. Overall though he wasn't a good athlete for his size. 

You can compare his numbers with the ones drd posted above, they're lacking in comparison-

• Like 1

Guys let’s relax in the aspect that he’s a project for a 1st rounder. 

Who is one of the best franchises at producing linebackers & pass rushers? We’ve never had a prospect with such a high ceiling to produce and unleash. I never liked Tim Williams. The guy lacked motor and played similar production of what we saw with Judon. Unblocked sacks. 

• Like 1

He’s raw and has to develop, but we’ve had plenty of OLBs that have had to develop. Most of them weren’t this freakishly athletic though.

supposedly he’s also already quite a good run defender which is great when you play the Browns and the Steelers just drafted a big time RB.

I like it though I’ll have tempered expectations for the start of his career.

2 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

He’s raw and has to develop, but we’ve had plenty of OLBs that have had to develop. Most of them weren’t this freakishly athletic though.

supposedly he’s also already quite a good run defender which is great when you play the Browns and the Steelers just drafted a big time RB.

I like it though I’ll have tempered expectations for the start of his career.

Yep, something that is normally a concern for highly touted edge rushers with high ceilings. 

• Like 1

I'm on board. You don't get this type of talent to work with outside the first. You wouldn't get it late first without that 0 sack (in 7 games in 2020) stat working against him. The fact that he can set an edge bodes well for him being useful his first year and the upside is clear.

• Like 1

I’m not being critical because the upside is obviously off the charts. But I think this should completely end any idea that EDC is doing things the same way Ozzie would’ve. Because at this very moment Oweh is the worst football player who got drafted last night and I am 99% sure Ozzie would’ve never made that pick.

I will say I was really hoping for Jenkins because our team needs a great o line to run the ball and give Lamar time. We saw the difference in 2019 and 2020. I will say I like the potential for sure and the tackle class is deep it just worries me we don’t pick until the end of the 3rd round.

23 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

I will say I was really hoping for Jenkins because our team needs a great o line to run the ball and give Lamar time. We saw the difference in 2019 and 2020. I will say I like the potential for sure and the tackle class is deep it just worries me we don’t pick until the end of the 3rd round.

I'm honestly not convinced Jenkins can stick at tackle in the NFL given his length concerns.

25 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m not being critical because the upside is obviously off the charts. But I think this should completely end any idea that EDC is doing things the same way Ozzie would’ve. Because at this very moment Oweh is the worst football player who got drafted last night and I am 99% sure Ozzie would’ve never made that pick.

As I posted in the main draft thread, its clear that EDC is more of a "traits" guy and is happy to do more projecting of how a player will work in the NFL (whereas Ozzie was clearly more of a production/"I need to see it on film" guy), but I don't think it's been (or ever will be) proven which method is better.

That said, calling him "the worst player drafted last night" is hardly as big a concern as you seem to think it is given he was pick 31 out of 32, so he should be one of the "worst" picked (and I don't agree that he was)

• Like 1

Also, people really shouldn't get as hung up on the "0 sacks" thing as much as they seem to be.  As I've said here before, sacks are a volatile stat that isn't necessarily predictive of the future - pressures are far more predictive and should be more highly considered as production.

And when you look at pressures, Oweh had 26 in his 8 games last year.  Now, 26 isn't great, but its hardly representative of the dud that 0 sacks makes him sound like.  Add that to his 21 run stops in 171 run stopping snaps and he has shown that his athleticism has created some production 

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Also, people really shouldn't get as hung up on the "0 sacks" thing as much as they seem to be.  As I've said here before, sacks are a volatile stat that isn't necessarily predictive of the future - pressure are far more predictive and should be more highly considered as production.

And when you look at pressures, Oweh had 26 in his 8 games last year.  Now, 26 isn't great, but its hardly representative of the dud that 0 sacks makes him sound like.  Add that to his 21 run stops in 171 run stopping snaps and he has shown that his athleticism has created some production 

I didn’t even know he had zero sacks until I came to this forum this morning. I watched him look like he didn’t even belong on the field against Michigan and Ohio State.

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He was a DPR at Bama. Had a good feel for pass rush(Snap Anticipation), solid balance, hot motor, and some burst. Overall though he wasn't a good athlete for his size. 

3 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

I never liked Tim Williams. The guy lacked motor and played similar production of what we saw with Judon. Unblocked sacks. 

Which is it?!