๐Ÿˆ Pick #79 is in: DE, Malcolm Koonce, Buffalo

3 hours ago, reddevil said:

Koonce is an impossible projection. There is no way of knowing if the moves he successfully used at Buffalo are transferable to a higher level. His physical and technical traits look great against his opponents in college - but we wonโ€™t know whether he can do it until he plays against pros.

You can literally say that about any prospect though.ย 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 12:12 PM, reddevil said:

Key was plenty bendy enough IMO. I feel it was more hisย burst and converting speed into power. He was easily just guided away from the QB. And when he got nearby, he just couldnโ€™t finish.

Koonce is an impossible projection. There is no way of knowing if the moves he successfully used at Buffalo are transferable to a higher level. His physical and technical traits look great against his opponents in college - but we wonโ€™t know whether he can do it until he plays against pros.

I like picks like this. Try and bring in some guys that have shown they can make plays and have traits. This defense needs playmakers so to get them, you have to take some risks

This I agree with, good post. Key certainly didn't lack bend, there were a few photos of him at TC showing off his bend and how low he could get turning he corner posted here somewhere. He just wasn't that explosive or powerful and his tackling was very grabby plus didn't we mess with his body mass asking him to gain mass when he had to play more full time (due to the Mack trade and getting thrown straight in) than anticipated if I recall instead of keeping him light and agile as a rotational piece. I think he gained then lost and was mismanaged too.

ย 

4 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

ย 

A lot of his production came against questionable competition of course but his tape against Penn State is impressive as they, I believe, are a much higher quality of opponent. I watched this after we drafted him and I was pretty impressed, made me reassess my (admittedly not well informed) opinion of the pick a little bit. ๐Ÿ˜€

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Everyone's fav YouTuber

Sarcasm? He is a super homer who hypes up everything the Raiders do with zero criticism. His opinion is worth a grain of salt.ย 
ย 

Anyways, Koonce is to replace Arden Key and was a 3rd Round Pass Rushing Depth selection. No more, no less. Which is not a bad pick for the 3rd Round. Hopefully he ends up a little better than Key.ย