Round 5: Pick 178; Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, App State

I just listened to his interview.  He says he has a really high football IQ, and is one of the smartest and most high-football-IQ guys in the whole draft.  

Also noted that he was the first guy drafted from his conference.  

What a different world to be a kid who's been the best, perhaps smartest player in his conference.  But then you're suddenly in a draft class with the BC special-teamer, but otherwise everybody else is SEC or Big Ten.  Finding confidence and staying confidence must be pretty challenging.  

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

RAS is *relative* athletic score, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it in a year where testing/test-specific training was inconsistent/suspect.

He secretly has a great RAS score!

Look I don't think it's useless but this forum seems to be way too caught up in it as a way to shortcut finding ways to see who we might draft. Maybe good football prospects just tend to be good athletes on film and they don't just wait for those numbers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Norm said:

He secretly has a great RAS score!

Look I don't think it's useless but this forum seems to be way too caught up in it as a way to shortcut finding ways to see who we might draft. Maybe good football prospects just tend to be good athletes on film and they don't just wait for those numbers.

It's all some of us have pre-draft toel efficiently and objectively compare players. So it makes sense it's relied upon a lot by casual fans.

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's all some of us have pre-draft toel efficiently and objectively compare players. So it makes sense it's relied upon a lot by casual fans.

My objection to the RAS objection is that it's a composite athleticism metric with absolutely no consideration for "different athletic traits are more or less important for specific positions of roles."

There always has to be an understanding of "what does he do well" and "what do we need him to do."

2 hours ago, R T said:

Interesting move here, the Packers have issued #22 to Shemar Jean-Charles yet that number is currently being worn by Dexter Williams. Did Aaron Rodgers approve this move?

No but next offseason an unnamed source will confirm he was very upset about it.

• Like 2

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/2/9/22264441/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview-shemar-jean-charles-cornerback-appalachian-state

Longer interview with SJC from a Colts blog. I guess his former coach is now in the NFL with Indy and they saw him as possible pick. Initially, I got some Quinten Rollins flashbacks drafting a small school CB thinking we were smarter than everyone else. The big difference, if we had drafted Q in the 5th instead of the 2nd it wouldn’t have stung so much when he busted. Also unlike Rollins, this guy seems to be a football junkie and is completely immersed in it. Hopefully his physical limitations can be overcome with understanding exactly where he needs to be in the scheme. 

Edited by Refugee

9 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This dude just feels like Micah Hyde to me.  Not an elite athlete, but will make up for it with smarts.  Sounds good to me.

I kind of though of him as well .. just a good smart football player that will make his presence felt on the field.

• Like 1