Gutey or Rodgers?

VonKarman

Gutey or Rodgers?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which side are you on?

If we would can Gute because a player wants us to then I guess that player would need to have the power to hire the next one.  Or maybe Rodg wants to be anointed King and GM too.  Maybe not all we are hearing is true, I would hope that’s the case and not just for the sake of football.  IF most all of what we’re hearing is true well then Rodg has indeed become a cancer.  You either cure cancer, or you cut it out.  If you cut it out that doesn’t mean you do it on cancers timetable.  He certainly can sit and rot if he so wishes.  Near all retired QB’s wish they could have played longer, or wish they would have.  If he’s truly ok with retiring then he should by all means permanently do that.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leader said:

I dont think it would have made a bit of difference.  AR suddenly saw the light at the end of the tunnel - realized he'd been pissing away the past two years of his career and was on the path to being replaced.  Suddenly ... as if by magic ... MVP AR reappears.How 'bout that.

I think if the COVIDcap hadnt come around and we didnt get into the serious cash crunch we are now (partially because ARs contract jumped up to around 20% of the cap) - GB wouldnt have needed to ask for his cash - but - AR probably would still have started rocking the boat about his future. Dont begrudge him that. Not a problem - but the cap crunch put GB over a barrel to a degree. ARs contract was the biggest piggy bank around.

I agree it probably wouldn’t have helped much if any, but there is a chance that could’ve cleared the air let him know that you’re still our guy and we want you here for the long haul etc.—like you said likely doesn’t change where we are today. 

Thing is GB didn’t have to ask for anything on his contract that was a curiosity of GB’s part. If GB wanted to convert the money they could have. I know there are finer details like Rodgers might have to sign that but GB could’ve converted that. I can’t blame any of the cap crunch on Rodger or GB; like you said Covid created that cap crunch and had the cap increased last season and then this season too our cap would be a much better situation.—Rodgers contract is large but would’ve been reasonable to what the cap would’ve been now.

1 hour ago, 15412 said:

If we would can Gute because a player wants us to then I guess that player would need to have the power to hire the next one.  Or maybe Rodg wants to be anointed King and GM too.  Maybe not all we are hearing is true, I would hope that’s the case and not just for the sake of football.  IF most all of what we’re hearing is true well then Rodg has indeed become a cancer.  You either cure cancer, or you cut it out.  If you cut it out that doesn’t mean you do it on cancers timetable.  He certainly can sit and rot if he so wishes.  Near all retired QB’s wish they could have played longer, or wish they would have.  If he’s truly ok with retiring then he should by all means permanently do that.   

That too would be really short sighted, can a good GM up to this point for a hand picked GM by a QB that has limited time left. 

I originally felt the same call his bluff and let him retire and force him to live with that. Now if it gets to a point where you can’t repair the situation at all, I’m all for trading him and getting what I hope is a haul—seen deals that include 3 1st, other picks and players. Doesn’t do much for us now but puts Love on spot. If Love comes in and plays well we have a lot of premium picks to surround Love with. If he doesn’t we have the ammo to move up for a guy. 

6 hours ago, rbens06 said:

I agree it probably wouldn’t have helped much if any, but there is a chance that could’ve cleared the air let him know that you’re still our guy and we want you here for the long haul etc.—like you said likely doesn’t change where we are today. 

Thing is GB didn’t have to ask for anything on his contract that was a curiosity of GB’s part. If GB wanted to convert the money they could have. I know there are finer details like Rodgers might have to sign that but GB could’ve converted that. I can’t blame any of the cap crunch on Rodger or GB; like you said Covid created that cap crunch and had the cap increased last season and then this season too our cap would be a much better situation.—Rodgers contract is large but would’ve been reasonable to what the cap would’ve been now.

It was reported that the Packers approached Rodgers to redo his current contract and he said no, so maybe they couldn’t just move money around with the working of his deal. We don’t know that for sure. 

Also, it was well documented that Love was no way near ready for the NFL and needed time so why would Rodgers be so angry, he would have to know he still the guy for some time as Love isn’t ready.... unless Love has looked really good in practice despite what has been reported. Who knows 

In my opinion, the craziest part of the whole thing is how predictable it's all been

-After 2019, and showing the slightest erosion in his skills, Gute was predicably going to have a keen eye on the 2020 QB class

-Gute would predictably draft a top end QB if they fell to the bottom end of the first round

-Rodgers was predictably going to take it personally when his replacement was drafted

-Rodgers would predictably play better the angrier he got about being replaced.

-Rodgers would predictably want to remain a Packer for life, as well as one of the top paid QBs in the league

Neither side has really done anything irrational in this whole saga. The only real surprise was just how well Rodgers played in 2020. He has every right to ask for his legacy in GB to be preserved. I'm not even sure any of this could have prevented.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He told Mike Tirico that he thought it was unfortunate that news of him being disgruntled had spilled out into the open, and that he loved GB, the fans, and the franchise.  

Really?  Then where is all discord coming from?

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He told Mike Tirico that he thought it was unfortunate that news of him being disgruntled had spilled out into the open, and that he loved GB, the fans, and the franchise.  

I read that as 'I am not sorry about stealing. Just that I got caught stealing'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

It was reported that the Packers approached Rodgers to redo his current contract and he said no, so maybe they couldn’t just move money around with the working of his deal. We don’t know that for sure. 

Also, it was well documented that Love was no way near ready for the NFL and needed time so why would Rodgers be so angry, he would have to know he still the guy for some time as Love isn’t ready.... unless Love has looked really good in practice despite what has been reported. Who knows 

I should clarify; the Packers explored to converting his salary to a bonus and that likely would need Rodgers to sign off since the salary becomes a "signing bonus". However, the 6.8 bonus they paid him could have been converted without his signing off from everything I have seen. 

I think that readiness and such is all part of that conversation; draft experts in the media said Love isn't ready, but GB might think he is closer than most and could play early, i.e. sit a year and be ready, but they could also be in agreement with the media experts and think 2-3 years of sitting is best and then he will be the most ready for the best chance of success; regardless that is the conversation that could have been had. I dont think not having it is cause for this reaction from Rodgers, but Rodgers was in that situation so he knows the mindset of a guy like Love; i.e. he knows Love will want to play as early as he can, publicly Love can say otherwise, but it still is out there that he is a high pick and will want to play. I can see Rodgers get mad, but not to this extent and not to have that linger.

12 hours ago, rbens06 said:

That too would be really short sighted, can a good GM up to this point for a hand picked GM by a QB that has limited time left. 

I originally felt the same call his bluff and let him retire and force him to live with that. Now if it gets to a point where you can’t repair the situation at all, I’m all for trading him and getting what I hope is a haul—seen deals that include 3 1st, other picks and players. Doesn’t do much for us now but puts Love on spot. If Love comes in and plays well we have a lot of premium picks to surround Love with. If he doesn’t we have the ammo to move up for a guy. 

Oh I'm all for trading him if we capture value.  The team needs to willing to let him sit and put him on the retirement did not show list otherwise.  Rodg not only wanted to be paid more money, I'll bet he wanted guaranteed money.  What a joke.

• Like 1

I haven't heard what Hawk said, but regardless.  You don't do long term guaranteed contracts with 38 year old players, or any player in my opinion.  Let's say Gute isn't at issue.  The team needs to stand strong, we don't bury ourselves long term in an aging QB.  We have him under a contract he signed that pays him piles of money for another 3 seasons.