2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

When did a big guy that moved this well fall down the board?  He's not falling.  I think he's going higher then I think you're expecting.

He moved well in shorts. Big 340 lb DTs who can’t rush the passer fall all the time though (Ashawn Robinson, Cody, etc). The only one who has gone high recently is probably Vea (who’s nice, probably not worth a pick 12 though).

5 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

He moved well in shorts. Big 340 lb DTs who can’t rush the passer fall all the time though (Ashawn Robinson, Cody, etc). The only one who has gone high recently is probably Vea (who’s nice, probably not worth a pick 12 though).

Vea has pass rushing skills and showed that when he was coming out of Washington. Davis has to prove he more than a run defender.  

1 hour ago, R T said:

40 time is a useless stat for a nose tackle, he won't run 40 yards on a single play in his professional career.  

The last huge NT run plug that ran under 5 seconds was Dontari Poe. He went 11 over all that year, like i said some teams love big men who can move like that. Not saying it's impossible that he falls I hope you're right because he's my draft crush I'd love to see him in GB but I'd be shocked if he falls past 15.

Just now, R T said:

Vea has pass rushing skills and showed that when he was coming out of Washington. Davis has to prove he more than a run defender.  

I agree, Vea was a better player coming out. With that said, I'd still stand by my point he was a run first defender who isn't a 3 down player. It is cool having a big fast guy, but when your ceiling is a 60% snap count Vea/Poe/Tomlinson, that isn't worth a top 20 pick. I'd rather have a Lancaster and draft a hybrid pass rusher that can win on higher leveraged downs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, St Vince said:

The last huge NT run plug that ran under 5 seconds was Dontari Poe. He went 11 over all that year, like i said some teams love big men who can move like that. Not saying it's impossible that he falls I hope you're right because he's my draft crush I'd love to see him in GB but I'd be shocked if he falls past 15.

Poe and Davis are very different players. Very heavy men who run the 40-yard dash fast for their size, that's the end of the things they have in common.  

58 minutes ago, R T said:

Poe and Davis are very different players. Very heavy men who run the 40-yard dash fast for their size, that's the end of the things they have in common.  

What is the difference you see stylistically? 

With that physical and athletic profile, the bull rush is always going to be the table setter. He's going to be all about overwhelming C's with that intriguing combination of mass and quick first step. 

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What is the difference you see stylistically? 

With that physical and athletic profile, the bull rush is always going to be the table setter. He's going to be all about overwhelming C's with that intriguing combination of mass and quick first step. 

Poe had some slippery to him as a gap penetrator, Davis for now feels like just a pocket pusher. As you have noted a few times his first step is a tool that could lead to more, but does anything grow from it? I think his history with weight issues for such a young guy is going to be a big concern with teams also and could push him down some team's boards because of it. He is a load in the middle, just don't see spending high end draft capital on him.    

46 minutes ago, R T said:

Poe had some slippery to him as a gap penetrator, Davis for now feels like just a pocket pusher. As you have noted a few times his first step is a tool that could lead to more, but does anything grow from it? I think his history with weight issues for such a young guy is going to be a big concern with teams also and could push him down some team's boards because of it. He is a load in the middle, just don't see spending high end draft capital on him.    

Was Poe slippery? Or was he playing crap competition at Memphis and was clearly the dawg in that room so they did everything they could to get him clean rushes?

Do you need anything more from Davis, or is a really solid juice guy and a stud run suffer worth turning in that car?

2 hours ago, R T said:

I dont see that at all when watching Georgia's defense.  We know the first step, and he showed a lot more than just a bull rush. Also showed solid pass rush ability

From what I've heard the "two down" thing about him is conditioning...he needs a rest every couple of plays. But he stood out in that defense, and almost all their starters are getting drafted in the first three rounds this year.

I'd be genuinely shocked if he makes it to 22, let alone out of the first round.

On 4/16/2022 at 3:51 PM, mikemike778 said:

This.

We don't need to be good at Special Teams, we just need to not screw up. We don't need to draft ST studs or play starters or throw draft picks at punters. We just need to not screw things up. The whole thing needs to be as reliable as possible. Most of the time ST impacts on games, it is because one side has screwed something up.

Everyone else can use the bottom of the roster to play ST and to not have your punts and kicks blocked, to not give up long returns and the rest of the nonsense we had to endure. 

The Punter needs to be acceptable at punting and as holder be part of a safe field goal unit. If he can do that then I'm not interested in trying to get someone slightly better. If the new ST had a say in picking this guy then he should be able to do that.

I want to believe the bolded part.

But I cannot.  If this were 2-3 years ago, sure.

But without Adams, our defense and specials need to do more than "not screw it up".  They need to be locked down tight.

A player I see slipping is London.  Possibly Burks as well.  We very well may have our choice between the two at #22.  Williams, Olave, and Wilson will be the first WR's taken.  Would be my guess.  Draft is always unpredictable.  Consensus isn't always right either.  Could Pickens, Pierce, or Watson go in the 1st.  Absolutely.  NFL always places an overemphasis on speed.  Why some of these perceived slower guys may drop farther than we think.  BTW...trading both #22 and #28 to move up to get Williams is an absolutely horrible idea.  

9 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

A player I see slipping is London.  Possibly Burks as well.  We very well may have our choice between the two at #22.  Williams, Olave, and Wilson will be the first WR's taken.  Would be my guess.  Draft is always unpredictable.  Consensus isn't always right either.  Could Pickens, Pierce, or Watson go in the 1st.  Absolutely.  NFL always places an overemphasis on speed.  Why some of these perceived slower guys may drop farther than we think.  BTW...trading both #22 and #28 to move up to get Williams is an absolutely horrible idea.  

Especially when they wouldn't draft him if he was there at 22. 

One of the reasons fans and pundits get teams picks so wrong is the lack of information about prospects and our own players.  Do we know for sure how Bahktiari’s knee is?  I’ve seen failure by injury in many top players after 30. The team knows.  What about Nijman ,we hear all the praise but that’s all just coachspeak.  We don’t know what the Packers coaches say about him when there aren’t any witnesses.  Do they really want Jenkins playing RT?  There could be an urgency at tackle that we just don’t know about.

When it comes to prospects there is so much more to a player beyond his statistics.  Can he absorb information?  Is he a me type?  Will he be making business decisions on the field like Clinton-Dix?   How does he treat other humans?  We don’t know any of these things and teams know much.   And will act on it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sandy said:

I dont see that at all when watching Georgia's defense.  We know the first step, and he showed a lot more than just a bull rush. Also showed solid pass rush ability.

I'd be genuinely shocked if he makes it to 22, let alone out of the first round.

He had 7 sacks in 40 games, all of 2 last year, in 14 games, as a senior, playing on a top defense. 

How many times do we have to watch big lunks like Davis fail to rush the passer at the next level to realize that big lunks like that can't rush the passer at the next level? Dexter Lawrence was a much better looking prospect and even he hasn't done much as a pass rusher.

Both Davis and Travis Jones are 2-down players with zero plan and minimal skill as pass rushers. Neither belong anywhere near the first round.