2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Basically that he wasn't smart enough to run different route trees.

Another thing that concerns teams about him is his weigh issues, some fear he will eat his way out of the NFL like Kelvin Benjamin did. There is a real chance he falls out of the first round. 

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like this post should be @beekay414...

Make no mistake, we are legion.

I don’t know too much about Karlaftis except that he’s mocked to be good enough to be a top pick where GB is sitting. I did see he also uses the Greek Freak moniker and thought that could make for an awkward meeting that would have to happen if he comes to the Pack. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chili said:

Trevor Penning 23
Bernhard Raimann 24
Tyler Smith 21
Abraham Lucas 23

Kellen Diesch 25
Spencer Burford 22
Braxton Jones 23
Ryan Van Demark 24

Devin Cochran 23
Nick Zakelj 23
Cole Strange 24
Blaise Andries 24

Hayden Howerton 23
Chris Paul 23
Zach Tom 23
Dawson Deaton 23

Luke Goedeke 23

Rasheed Walker 22 

Thanks for putting the work into this, Chili.  Some of them had already been on my radar for a couple of our seventh Rd picks, and many others in round 4 or 5.  Should be a prime year for us to grab a couple that we like. 

I bolded the ones I've looked into and like for us. Removed Icky since he's not realistically available either. Kept the two we brought in for visits since both athletic on tape. I'm gonna work on adding their ages as of the start of the season in an edit of this post momentarily too.

Edited by Sandy
Ages added

4 hours ago, Chili said:

What did JuMosq say about Burks?

Basically he doesn’t understand playbooks and where to line up and was told where to be and do play to play. This is why in college he had so much designed stuff to get him the ball.

Not because he is a special talent per-say, Ala Deebo .

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does Olave have the body type to support adding 10-15 lbs of "good" weight w/o sacrificing speed/agility?  

He has exceptional footwork, and will be a good WR in the NFL.  The question for the Packers is his size and blocking.  Im not sure you want to put weight on him.   I think the Packers could work with his size but the blocking could be a problem for what they want from the WRs.    

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

Thanks for putting the work into this, Chili.  Some of them had already been on my radar for a couple of our seventh Rd picks, and many others in round 4 or 5.  Should be a prime year for us to grab a couple that we like. 

I bolded the ones I've looked into and like for us. Removed Icky since he's not realistically available either. Kept the two we brought in for visits since both athletic on tape. I'm gonna work on adding their ages as of the start of the season in an edit of this post momentarily too.

A skim of all the highlight videos I could find of the later round prospects, Raimann, Lucas, Burford, Jones, Strange, Goedeke are all those who I initially liked.

Penning tape looks great but he is a meat head. He's all brawn but not alot between the ears. There were a number of moments in his highlight video where he doesn't disengage his block to make another block on a different player. The best OL can do this but he spends all his energy trying to pancake the guy he's engaged with. It's a little bit selfish. I also read he has something like 34 flags in 31 games. Come on! that's ridiculous!

It definitely looks like the 4th-5th round is the key spot for us to draft an offensive lineman. The Packers also like to draft a OT and convert them to guard. Goedeke is definitely an candidate for this. Whilst not on the list, Packers draft visits Ja'Tyre Carter and Jamaree Salyer are also candidates for a switch to guard in the NFL.

Bucky had us passing on WR in round 1.  Tolbert and Shakir to solve our WR woes.  Sounds about right.  A lot of WR that have height and speed in this draft.    Austin is another one.  Since we are all locked in on Pickens and Pierce it's a good bet we don't draft either of them. 

Take one in the 2nd.  One 4th-5th rounds.  Take a shot in the 7th and sprinkle in a few UDFA.  Think we have room to add 2-3 guys to the roster.  Maybe another 1-2 on the practice squad.  Bring in a bunch of guys and let TC sort it all out.  

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/WR/1/2022

Edited by Scoremore
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Bucky had us passing on WR in round 1.  Tolbert and Shakir to solve our WR woes.  Sounds about right.  A lot of WR that have height and speed in this draft.    Austin is another one.  Since we are all locked in on Pickens and Pierce it's a good bet we don't draft either of them. 

Take one in the 2nd.  One 4th-5th rounds.  Take a shot in the 7th and sprinkle in a few UDFA.  Think we have room to add 2-3 guys to the roster.  Maybe another 1-2 on the practice squad.  Bring in a bunch of guys and let TC sort it all out.  

I will play along. One could make the argument there is no true WR1 in the first round, most prospects are WR2 at best. There's no Jamaar Chase or Calvin Johnson level of talent available.

Essentially the best "first round" WRs is essentially as good as the best "second round" WRs in this year's draft. So in other words there's little difference between Olave and Metchie for example. Little difference between London and Watson. This might be the draft where it might be better to wait and nab an almost equivalent level prospect at a much cheaper price.

Shakir for example has fantastic traits. He has outstanding body control that you don't quite see in some of the "first round" prospects and he plucks the ball out of the air too and yet he's not being touted as a first rounder. Why? What exactly makes them better than him?

It's an really interesting thought experiment if we try to be completely honest and objective how we evaluate WRs, take emotion and biases out and what you may find might surprise you.

Of course this will drive Packers fans insane if we do adopt this strategy.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

How many WR's do they go to training camp with each year? How many are on the current roster? There is roster management that goes into constructing the 90-man roster for training camp with a number of players needed at each position. Bringing in a bunch of guys isn't really an option unless by a bunch you mean 3, 4 at the most. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

How many WR's do they go to training camp with each year? How many are on the current roster? There is roster management that goes into constructing the 90-man roster for training camp with a number of players needed at each position. Bringing in a bunch of guys isn't really an option unless by a bunch you mean 3, 4 at the most. 

4or 5...Keep in  mind we lost 3 and added one.  So we are down two at the moment. 

Edited by Scoremore

6 hours ago, R T said:

Another thing that concerns teams about him is his weigh issues, some fear he will eat his way out of the NFL like Kelvin Benjamin did. There is a real chance he falls out of the first round. 

Different position, but Eddy Lacy too.