2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

With the Ojabo injury, what's the new target for when to consider him?

I've done that mental exercise for years and the Packers just never draft those guys. They will sign a guy like that to a UDFA contract post draft on occasion like Patrick Taylor, but guessing they just take them off their board of draftable players. 

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@CWood21 Why do you think Wyatt wouldn't be on our board? Just curious.

I'm not saying he's for sure not on the Packers' board, but there are concerns about his character and he's on the older side of the spectrum.  I think someone else will take him before the Packers will.

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think you're underselling Drake London.  If you want to comp him to Lazard, he's a rich man's Lazard.  The guy is an absolute monster with a huge catch radius and does really well after the catch.  He's not necessarily the twitchiest WR, but he still manages to create good separation. He's hard to play press coverage against because of his size, and he's shown the ability to beat press coverage pretty consistently.

Yeah, London has a rare collection of traits. He's mismatch incarnate.

Based on '21 tape, he and Williams are the top 2 WR prospects, the only two to really get excited about. Probably have to move up to land either. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

But someone will draft him before Green Bay will.

Underlining this.  The idea of "draft an injured player cheap- he'll heal" is an attractive one (even if it doesn't have a really good track record of working out), but the Packers are one of the most conservative teams in the league when it comes to medical stuff.  If anybody's not going to draft a guy with a ruptured achilles no matter what else you can say about him, it's us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Underlining this.  The idea of "draft an injured player cheap- he'll heal" is an attractive one (even if it doesn't have a really good track record of working out), but the Packers are one of the most conservative teams in the league when it comes to medical stuff.  If anybody's not going to draft a guy with a ruptured achilles no matter what else you can say about him, it's us.

Teams with extra draft picks are probably going to be more inclined to take him.  I could see the Jets snagging him with one of their SRPs if he's on the board.  If Jaguars go OT at 1, they could grab him at 33.

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Anyone else kind of like Kevin Austin from ND? Seems to fit our profile. Good blocker, decent size. Absolutely blew up the combine (RAS 9.9)

High probability he is on the Packers board as a day 3 type. 5th round, pick #171?   

Just did a pf network draft for the first four rounds, to see what I could get. Here is how it ended up.

1(22) WR Chris Olave   Was tempted by Edge Karlaftis, but went with Olave. Edge Jermaine Johnson and WRs Treylon Burks and Drake London were  all possible targets still on the board.

1(28) Edge George Karlaftis. Still on the board at #28 ? Easy choice, though DT Perrion Winfrey was tempting (went 3 picks later).

2(53) DT DeMarvin Leal   Would have liked OT Raimann (went pick 50). WRs Drake Jackson and Metchie went at 49 and 51. TE McBride was interesting - he went two picks later.

2(59) TE Jalen Wydermyer. TE Likely went at 44, and McBride has gone, so Wydermyer could be 'best of the rest'.

3(92) Edge Boye Mafe. He was ranked at 41 and was still on the board. Wasn't looking for a second Edge, but too much value to pass up - great athlete.

4(132) G Marquis Hayes. Top rated player left on the board and a guard here is a nice fit.

4(140) CB Marcus Jones. My big indulgence. He was ranked in the 170's and he is only 5'8", 174, but if you want a really dynamic returner, here he is. He's a talented CB anyway, who could fill in if needed.

This seems (to me) to be an absolute haul to come away with. I can't believe Karlaftis lasts to 28. There were no real reaches by me to get a specific position (apart from CB Jones). Biggest misses ? No OT, no Safety and no second WR yet (not so crucial if MVS returns and it looks like he might). NO ILB or a bigger-sized CB either, though the need is less with Devondre Campbell and Rasul Douglas both coming back.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1