2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And I'm not expecting for everyone to like Watson.  But who offers the upside he does outside of the top WRs?  If the board is pretty rough after R1, who is going to potentially be a top WR for a team in 2-3 years?  And I'm not just talking about guys like Olave, Wilson, Williams, etc. being off the board, but talking about that second tier like Alec Pierce, George Pickens, etc.  He's going to likely come off the board in the early part of Day 2 based purely on upside.

He might be off the board come the end of day 1… given the talk surrounding him.

36 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Calvin Johnson in a triple option offense against better comp, averaged a 1000 yards a season in college...

He did?  He hit 1000 yards in his junior year.  And we're also comparing one who was a top 2 prospect and one we're talking about largely as a Day 2 pick.

There's going to be a lot of upset Packer fans when draft night comes and GB doesn't draft a WR. 

OL - our two best are coming back off ACL injuries, and even with that the entire right side is up for grabs

DL - Clark has needed a quality running mate for awhile. Lowery is fine, Reed is okay. Another impact lineman would do wonders for the defense

EDGE - with Z and Mercilus moving on, we have no depth behind Gary and Preston. I'm confident a 1st will be allocated to this position, and I'd like to see Mercilus return as our #4.

Secondary - is in good shape, and getting Alexander back is huge. But we lost two guys who played a lot of snaps for us, and Savage has been just okay; there's no guarantee he gets the 5th year option exercised. Plus there's always the chance Douglas turns back into a pumpkin, an early pick here wouldn't surprise me

WR is obviously a need. But we paid our QB a huge new contract for a reason. He's supposed to be able to make due with what we give him. Lazard is a fine start, and all his TEs are back. Cobb is still here, and its probably too soon to give up up Amari. We've take a 1st round receiver like one time in 30 years. No way we spend both 1sts at the position, and I'd be willing to bet we don't spend either 1st on a receiver. Plenty of other needs at more important positions

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know where else to put this, but I feel like everyone sees such a drastic need for the Packers at WR that they just automatically pick a WR with one, or both, of our firsts.  But it has been 20 years since we took a WR in the first round, and 14 since we did with our first pick of the draft.  It just isn't what we tend to do, and the front office has been the Wolf tree since 1993(ish?).  

For the last several years so many talking heads, experts and analysts kept doubling down on us taking a 1st rd WR.  Like they were gonna keep doing it until it finally happens. But don’t you feel like it could happen this year simply bcuz of how incomplete our WR room is?  

I’d say it’s more likely to happen this year but as always, it depends on how the board falls. 

Edited by thrILL!

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

So than that means the evaluation is based on what they had done and are today… no projection of their abilities into nfl systems against the type of CB abilities they will see consistently… etc.

got it. Thanks

It's based on both.  You're looking at what they did in college, and projecting them into the NFL.  Olave probably doesn't have a very high ceiling, but he's going to be a damn good pro.  Alec Pierce was solid in college, but he wasn't great.  He's probably a bit more versatile in terms of what he's capable of doing, but outside of being a vertical threat I'm not sure he's really shown anything beyond that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He did?  He hit 1000 yards in his junior year.  And we're also comparing one who was a top 2 prospect and one we're talking about largely as a Day 2 pick.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/calvin-johnson-1.html

CJ 837+888+1202... I guess if you want to be technical he averaged 975. He had 3 years better than any of Watson's in a limiting offense, against better competition.

He also didn't have trouble tracking balls, while Watson is super raw. The only thing comparable with Watson/Johnson is they ran mid 4.3s

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

OL - our two best are coming back off ACL injuries, and even with that the entire right side is up for grabs

Probably a "sneaky" need.  Right now, I think the Packers are planning on going with Bakh/Runyan/Myers/Newman/Yosh starting OL.  I don't think they're married to it by any means, but I think that's the starting OL to start the year.  Jenkins likely replaces Yosh or Newman whenever he's healthy, but the long-term home of Jenkins is still up for debate.  Wouldn't surprise me if OL was one of our first four picks.

6 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

DL - Clark has needed a quality running mate for awhile. Lowery is fine, Reed is okay. Another impact lineman would do wonders for the defense

Would love to grab an IDL, but the board isn't very strong.   And I think they're going to get over-drafted when it comes time.  Right now, our DL room of Clark, Lowry, Reed, and Slaton is probably going to be enough to keep a rookie DL from seeing very many snaps.  It's not something I'm comfortable with beyond 2022, but it's enough to get the Packers through 2022.  IF their on the board with one of our SRPs, I could see someone like Logan Hall or Travis Jones get picked.  But I'm kinda expecting them go off the board a bit earlier.

9 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

EDGE - with Z and Mercilus moving on, we have no depth behind Gary and Preston. I'm confident a 1st will be allocated to this position, and I'd like to see Mercilus return as our #4.

I feel fairly confident that we're going EDGE with one of our 2 FRPs, most likely 22.  Think Karlaftis would be a no-brainer at 22 as would Jermaine Johnson if he's on the board.

6 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/calvin-johnson-1.html

CJ 837+888+1202... I guess if you want to be technical he averaged 975. He had 3 years better than any of Watson's in a limiting offense, against better competition.

He also didn't have trouble tracking balls, while Watson is super raw. The only thing comparable with Watson/Johnson is they ran mid 4.3s

Was just doing some quick mental math, and it looked a bit short.  Would have liked to see more consistent production out of him, but the physical tools were nothing short of impressive.

8 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

For the last several years so many talking heads, experts and analysts kept doubling down on us taking a 1st rd WR.  Like they were gonna keep doing it until it finally happens. But don’t you feel like it could happen this year simply bcuz of how incomplete our WR room is?  

I’d say it’s more likely to happen this year but as always, it depends on how the board falls. 

As always, I am far from an expert.  But what I am looking at is a group of guys that will probably be pretty good if given the targets, and some will be available for our second round pick, or a possible move up in the second round.  I look at guys like George Pickens, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Jahan Dotson and, pick your flavor, should be available.  Why take Chris Olave in the first, when I can get a quality OL and DL and still get Skyy Moore with a second round pick?

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The WR is also incomplete.  If you feel like Jameson Williams is the superior WR in the long run, are you going to take Chris Olave simply because he's going to be better in 2022?  Or do you trust your board and take the better WR even if he won't help you out this year?

Tell ya true I cant say Williams is a better all around WR than Olave - Olave may have him in that contest - I just appreciate Williams break away quality. The guy's got an extra gear to him thats a threat to take it the distance when/if he gets the ball. GB's not had somebody like that.....well, for awhile.

17 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I agree.  We'll probably go OL or Edge with #22.  Have a feeling all the top WR's will get poached.  WR is a crying need but suspect the Pack may trade out of Rd 1 at #28 to get one of the second tier WR in round 2.  Possible trade up later in the round to grab another one.  Gute will manipulate the board to get some help at the position.  Doesn't have to be a 1st rounder to get it done.  Think he'll grab 2 of them within the first 3 rounds though.  Gute is going to allocate some serious draft capital to the position more than we have spent in a number of years.  Think we'll ultimately end up with 3 WR's and a TE in this draft. 

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It's based on both.  You're looking at what they did in college, and projecting them into the NFL.  Olave probably doesn't have a very high ceiling, but he's going to be a damn good pro.  Alec Pierce was solid in college, but he wasn't great.  He's probably a bit more versatile in terms of what he's capable of doing, but outside of being a vertical threat I'm not sure he's really shown anything beyond that.

If it’s based on both than I don’t see how they aren’t even close (which is what the statement was that I reacted to). You then say it’s base on what Olave “has been”. 

I’m not saying people boards shouldn’t have Olave ahead of Pierce, I honestly get why it’s the case. I’m trying to think like how the packers are viewing this. And based around that notion I think Pierce is closer than anyone seemingly wants to admit… which is my point. And why I said earlier I wouldn’t be surprise if they draft a WR at 28 but watch it still piss people off because it’s not their guy. And I highlight Pierce. I see a world where GB values Pierce over Olave based on numerous factors.

Literally earlier in the thread we had a poster claim every scout in the nfl has Olave and Wilson ahead of Pierce and Watson. I quickly pointed out Chris Simms, and ex player (qb) and someone with obvious ties to New England and SF has Watson and Pierce as 2 and 3 on his WR board… with the Ohio state guys not even in his top 5.

Everyone should give it a listen easily found on YouTube… you can hear arguments on how scouts and evaluators could have a different opinion than the standard nfl draft website.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably a "sneaky" need.  Right now, I think the Packers are planning on going with Bakh/Runyan/Myers/Newman/Yosh starting OL.  I don't think they're married to it by any means, but I think that's the starting OL to start the year.  Jenkins likely replaces Yosh or Newman whenever he's healthy, but the long-term home of Jenkins is still up for debate.  Wouldn't surprise me if OL was one of our first four picks.

What is everyone's opinion of John Runyan Jr? Is this a 2 contract guy? Does he move to RG over Newman if Jenkins returns? Is he even better than Newman, or just a year older? 

Like, I really don't know.  I thought the line was pretty good last season, but I am even more novice-er when looking at the OL.  It is difficult to evaluate a guard unless he stinks on ice, or is super dominant.  

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Would love to grab an IDL, but the board isn't very strong.   And I think they're going to get over-drafted when it comes time.  Right now, our DL room of Clark, Lowry, Reed, and Slaton is probably going to be enough to keep a rookie DL from seeing very many snaps.  It's not something I'm comfortable with beyond 2022, but it's enough to get the Packers through 2022.  IF their on the board with one of our SRPs, I could see someone like Logan Hall or Travis Jones get picked.  But I'm kinda expecting them go off the board a bit earlier.

I feel fairly confident that we're going EDGE with one of our 2 FRPs, most likely 22.  Think Karlaftis would be a no-brainer at 22 as would Jermaine Johnson if he's on the board.

Thoughts on Jordan Davis in our scheme? A man his size with his movement skills is insane. Would love to see what he could do next to Clark. Conditioning is the concern, but we'd have a fine rotation behind him.

I like Karlaftis at 22. Not sure how i feel about Johnson. He's a bit older and will be 29 at the end of his rookie deal. Likely not much left from him after that

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

I agree with this.  GB won't sniff either one of them.  Why?  Because they are the best WR's in the draft. 

If all of Wilson, Olave, London, Williams are off the board by pick #22, I'd be surprised if Gute didn't take Burks. I'm not as high on Burks as most--think he 'normally' would be a slight reach at #22--but I recognize the cupboard is bare, and, unless they use picks to trade for, say, a DK Metcalf prior to the draft, the need is too great at WR to not take him or another WR at #22 unless they're certain their guy would still be there at #28 and thus they go BPA (at a position of lesser need) at #22. But again, I'd think they don't risk that being the case and they go WR at pick #22 rather than #28. Then again, maybe Gute trades up from pick #22 to get the WR they want and everything I've just said is meaningless. ;)